Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-28-2022, 10:34 AM   #1
mazinho
mazinho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
E-mail to Kindle fails

Sending ebooks in MOBI format from Calibre to my Kindle fails. Can anyone spot anything in the error log to guide me towards a solution? Which part of the error log would you need (it is long) to spot the issue?

Update: Amazon sent me an e-mail with the following text. It surprises me as I am sending MOBI format. Maybe it helps:

Dear Customer,

Your message to masked@kindle.com, sent at 12:53 PM on Thu, Jul 28, 2022 GMT did not include any attached documents or image files.

The Kindle Personal Document Service can convert and deliver the following types of documents:
Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx)
Rich Text Format (.rtf)
HTML (.htm, .html)
Text (.txt) documents
Archived documents (zip , x-zip) and compressed archived documents
Mobi book

Images that are of type JPEGs (.jpg), GIFs (.gif), Bitmaps (.bmp), and PNG images (.png).
Adobe PDF (.pdf) documents are delivered without conversion to Kindle DX, Second Generation and Latest Generation Kindles.

Conversion of Adobe PDF (.pdf) to Kindle format is done on experimental basis.

If the document(s) that failed belonged to one of the above document types, please ensure the document is not password protected or encrypted. Note that the Latest Generation Kindles support password protected PDFs.
mazinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 11:52 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...-of-mobi-files
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 12:50 AM   #3
koray
koray began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thanks for the answer! I also have a question on Kindle and epub files. I have set my calibre to send epub format to Kindle, and it works great. Except for the cover images and ability to browse between chapters by swiping up and down. Is this a limitation of Kindle? With mobi files I was able to see covers and browse between chapters by swiping up and down. Another issue is that now covers appear on sleep screen (which didn't happen with mobi files).

Thanks for the great work Kovid Goyal!

K.
koray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 01:17 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yes its a limitation of amazon. Any issues you have with epubs mailed to kindles can only be because of amazon. Amazon actually converts epub to something else using their own substandard conversion software. And then delivers the end result of that conversion to your kindle.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:38 AM   #5
bugmen00t
Connoisseur
bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Keyboard + Kindle Voyage WiFi + Kindle PW11 Kids
Kinda off-topic, but...

What's the maximal size of the file that Calibre could sent to email? I've been experimenting with files of different size a while ago and got this error at some point:

Spoiler:
PHP Code:
connect: ('mail.gmx.com'587
connectto ('mail.gmx.com'587None 
b'220 gmx.net (mrgmx004) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready\r\n' 
replyretcode (220); Msgb'gmx.net (mrgmx004) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready' 
connectb'gmx.net (mrgmx004) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready' 
send'ehlo [10.8.3.9]\r\n' 
replyb'250-gmx.net Hello [10.8.3.9] [***.***.***.***]\r\n' 
replyb'250-8BITMIME\r\n' 
replyb'250-SIZE 69920427\r\n' 
replyb'250 STARTTLS\r\n' 
replyretcode (250); Msgb'gmx.net Hello [10.8.3.9] [***.***.***.***]\n8BITMIME\nSIZE 69920427\nSTARTTLS' 
send'STARTTLS\r\n' 
replyb'220 OK\r\n' 
replyretcode (220); Msgb'OK' 
send'ehlo [10.8.3.9]\r\n' 
replyb'250-gmx.net Hello [10.8.3.9] [***.***.***.***]\r\n' 
replyb'250-8BITMIME\r\n' 
replyb'250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN\r\n' 
replyb'250 SIZE 69920427\r\n' 
replyretcode (250); Msgb'gmx.net Hello [***.***.***.***] [***.***.***.***]\n8BITMIME\nAUTH LOGIN PLAIN\nSIZE 69920427' 
sendAUTH  
b'235 Authentication succeeded\r\n' 
replyretcode (235); Msgb'Authentication succeeded' 
send'quit\r\n' 
replyb'221 gmx.net Service closing transmission channel\r\n' 
replyretcode (221); Msgb'gmx.net Service closing transmission channel' 

Sending failed...

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "calibre\gui2\email.py"line 48in run
  File 
"calibre\gui2\email.py"line 137in sendmail
  File 
"calibre\utils\smtp.py"line 184in sendmail
  File 
"smtplib.py"line 968in send_message
  File 
"email\generator.py"line 116in flatten
  File 
"email\generator.py"line 181in _write
  File 
"email\generator.py"line 214in _dispatch
  File 
"email\generator.py"line 272in _handle_multipart
  File 
"email\generator.py"line 116in flatten
  File 
"email\generator.py"line 181in _write
  File 
"email\generator.py"line 214in _dispatch
  File 
"email\generator.py"line 432in _handle_text
  File 
"email\generator.py"line 249in _handle_text
  File 
"email\generator.py"line 155in _write_lines
  File 
"email\generator.py"line 406in write
MemoryError

Retrying in 301 seconds

Waiting 301 seconds before sendingto avoid being marked as spam.
You can control this delay via Preferences->Tweaks 

Not sure if it was software error of my FrankenCalibre (portable 5.44 on Windows 7 x64) or my ancient laptop just ran out of RAM.
bugmen00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 08:35 AM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmen00t View Post
Not sure if it was software error of my FrankenCalibre (portable 5.44 on Windows 7 x64) or my ancient laptop just ran out of RAM.
Portable builds of calibre prior to version 6 are 32-bit and prone to running out of memory.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 08:48 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
There are four common limits:
The max size the SMTP server will accept.
The max size the local email program (in this case Calibre) will send.
The space free in the receiving Internet server mailbox (and total space).
The max size a client using POP3 or IMAP will retrieve.

I'd normally limit to 20 M byte. You seem to be testing with 69 M Byte?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 01:41 PM   #8
bugmen00t
Connoisseur
bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Portable builds of calibre prior to version 6 are 32-bit and prone to running out of memory.
I didn't knew that portables were 32 bit (or just didn't noticed) because I always just have been unpacking MSI installer and than copy/replace files to "./Calibre Portable/Calibre/" folder.
Highly likely this was the main reason of "MemoryError" message as conversion/sending process is quite RAM-hungry:
Spoiler:
Also as I mentioned it was version 5.44 running on officially unsupported Windows 7 (the last supported version is 3.48 IIRC), so there could be incompatibility problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
There are four common limits
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I'd normally limit to 20 M byte. You seem to be testing with 69 M Byte?
I managed to send 7, 14, 21, 28, 35 and 42 Mb EPUB files to my Kindle via GMX Mail without problems. However when I tried to push 128 Mb monstrosity, I instantly got error message "smtplib.SMTPSenderRefused: (552, b'Requested mail action aborted: exceeded storage allocation', '********************@gmx.com')".

I'd like to run more experiments to find out the maximal limit but have concerns that in the end Amazon will ban my account for such shenanigans.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:24 PM   #9
CathyA
Zealot
CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmen00t View Post
... I managed to send 7, 14, 21, 28, 35 and 42 Mb EPUB files to my Kindle via GMX Mail without problems. However when I tried to push 128 Mb monstrosity, I instantly got error message "smtplib.SMTPSenderRefused: (552, b'Requested mail action aborted: exceeded storage allocation', '********************@gmx.com')".

I'd like to run more experiments to find out the maximal limit but have concerns that in the end Amazon will ban my account for such shenanigans.
Email services publish the max size for messages. It's trivially easy to find out this info, no need to send many emails to calculate it yourself.

GMX's limit is 50M: https://www.gmx.com/mail/attachment/

Amazon's limit is 50M: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...NECT4B4ZWHQ8WV

So this is why a 42M file works and 128M file doesn't.

Amazon isn't going to ban your account for sending them files (unless you're doing it in a way that seems like an attack, which this does not). Emailing of documents is a service they provide as part of the Kindle product, and you're allowed to use it. They will just reject any inbound message that's over 50M in size. But in your case, GMX will actually reject it first because their max is also 50M.
CathyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 03:46 PM   #10
bugmen00t
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
So this is why a 42M file works and 128M file doesn't.
Thanks for clarification. Different Kindle models were in my possesion for more than decade but it seems that I never used send-to-email functionality until a couple weeks ago.

My experiments weren't only aimed to calculate maximal possible attachment size, I also used different ebook file formats, image file formats, high- and even absurd image resolutions etc. and to see if Kindles could manage the resulting files Looks like I had had too much free time recently...
Old 07-31-2022, 05:03 PM   #11
mazinho
mazinho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thank you, this totally answered my question and fixed my issue.
mazinho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-mail, kindle