Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-26-2023, 12:33 AM   #1141
tsundoku
tsundoku began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Actually, I just found another workaround that works even better in my case. Sharing it here in case it helps anyone else. The problem with getting annotations from Amazon's https://read.amazon.com/notebook page is that they only include annotations from books bought from Amazon. Annotations for "personal documents" (i.e. any content added to your Kindle account that wasn't bought from Amazon) don't appear, although Amazon does capture them and synchronize them between your devices. If you run the Kindle iOS app, it now has a new feature that allows you to export your "Notebook" (all the notes and annotations for a given book/document across devices) and send it as an .html file in email. (I'm guessing we have the new Kindle Scribe to thank for this.) This file opens in the browser and contains all your annotations for a given book which can be easily copy/pasted into Calibre.
tsundoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:04 PM   #1142
Bunker D
Bunker D began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2
So… Any new alternative existing or on it's way?

From what I understand (correct me if I'm mistaking), this extension is not working with the native annotation system of Calibre. It also seem to suffer from maintenance issue and be on it's way to deprecation.

I am looking for an alternative to import annotations within the Calibre annotation system itself. Is there anything doing that at this point?
Or do you know if there is work done on the topic?

I'm not opposed to programming some stuff by myself. That being said, I don't know where to start. Is there an API to add annotations, or should I directly edit the
Code:
metadata.opf
to add the annotations there? I'd have to compute the EPUB CFI for each highlights. Is there an API to search through the book, or should I crack open the EPUB? How? Any lead to compute the CFI then?

All in all, if you have some pointers, thank you.
Bunker D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2023, 08:25 PM   #1143
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Metadata.opf is just a BACKUP of what you see in the Library view for a book.
Making changes to that does NOT change the DB
and
Any change that affects the library entry will result in that file being replaced.

It has no effect on the book without further processing
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 11:45 PM   #1144
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker D View Post
So… Any new alternative existing or on it's way?

From what I understand (correct me if I'm mistaking), this extension is not working with the native annotation system of Calibre. It also seem to suffer from maintenance issue and be on it's way to deprecation.

I am looking for an alternative to import annotations within the Calibre annotation system itself. Is there anything doing that at this point?
Or do you know if there is work done on the topic?

I'm not opposed to programming some stuff by myself. That being said, I don't know where to start. Is there an API to add annotations, or should I directly edit the
Code:
metadata.opf
to add the annotations there? I'd have to compute the EPUB CFI for each highlights. Is there an API to search through the book, or should I crack open the EPUB? How? Any lead to compute the CFI then?

All in all, if you have some pointers, thank you.
Start here ==>> Customizing calibre with plugins

That'll lead you to an overview, walkthroughs of the different types of plugins, and eventually to the calibre API.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 06:09 AM   #1145
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
grep the source code for cfi and annotations you will find the existing code for parsing/creating/updating them. If you have questions about the code feel free to ask and I will try to answer.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2023, 06:46 AM   #1146
TheReignOfChaos
TheReignOfChaos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Unhappy Annotations randomly coming in unchronological order for one book

Hi team, love the plug-in and don't know why it isn't a core feature.

Having a random issue pop up where for one of my books the annotations are in the body of the text in unchronoligcal order. This is a nightmare for me. It doesn't appear to be doing it on any other book right now; I remember this happening once before and it was no issue to manually sort them in a word processor that time, but this time it's 200+ annotations and it's quite jumbled...

Is this an easy fix somewhere on my end? The metadata is all there, all correct, but they are still out of order! Would love some advice. Thanks!

Imgur album just to give you an idea:
https://imgur.com/a/PxkLjVG
TheReignOfChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 05:31 AM   #1147
Noirtier
Noirtier began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReignOfChaos View Post
Having a random issue pop up where for one of my books the annotations are in the body of the text in unchronological order.
I have always had issues with the ordering on some books with this plugin too. I reported it and provided more details and examples earlier in this thread when David was still with us. He did look into it, but never was never completely solved for me.
However I have found a workaround that often helps:
  1. Select "Fetch annotations from selected device" to open the overlay window open with list of books to select.
  2. Instead of just importing, select the book that you want and click on 'Preview'.
  3. Then copy and paste the annotations from this preview display.
I find that the ordering shown in this preview display is more usually correct compared to what gets imported.
Noirtier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 05:49 AM   #1148
TheReignOfChaos
TheReignOfChaos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noirtier View Post
  1. Select "Fetch annotations from selected device" to open the overlay window open with list of books to select.
  2. Instead of just importing, select the book that you want and click on 'Preview'.
  3. Then copy and paste the annotations from this preview display.
Unfortunately in this case they are still out of order, but I appreciate this workaround suggestion and will keep it in mind if I have a similar error in the future!
TheReignOfChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 06:15 PM   #1149
Inaarahistic
Inaarahistic began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo libra 2
notes not showing up in the new column

I have Kobo libra 2 and I can see my notes in the metadata comment section, but I when I followed this post and installed the plugin and made a new column, the notes doesn't appear in the new column. Am I understanding something wrong?
Inaarahistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 07:53 PM   #1150
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The Column must be a Long Text type
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 05:01 PM   #1151
rashomon
rashomon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Does anyone have problem with this Annotation plugin that it does not fetch annotation in correct order (ordered by the time of input)?

I have Kobo Aura One and when I export from Kobo, I get txt file with correct annotation input (I have to copy that file manually). But when I use this plugin (from Calibre) I get shuffled annotation.

Is there anyway to make this plugin fetch annotation in correct order?
rashomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 09:22 PM   #1152
chobile
chobile began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite v5
Question

Thanks for the great work, David.

Dunno what happened to my previous post... It seemed to have disappeared, so I'll rewrite it again.

How do I make changes to the annotations in the device? Specifically, to delete the ton of bookmarks and stuff for books that I've long read and deleted. Thanks.
chobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 09:38 PM   #1153
readinghenry
readinghenry began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thanks for this great plugin, it worked flawlessly to import my highlights from my Kobo E-reader.

I was looking for a way to export them now from Calibre to another format (like Markdown or just simple text), that I can use them inside my note taking app. Is there a possibility like that?
readinghenry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sampleexportingapp