Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #46
kleinjar
Connoisseur
kleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I took a look at the font and specifically the a. I cannot see anything that would be causing this other than the the font rendering engine in whatever eInk reader you are using. I don't see such with my Kobo Aura H2O.

I did have a look at the font and I do think the weight needs to be increased some more. I'll do that later today and post a new version.
Yeah, this is a jailbroken paperwhite 2. I guess it renders fonts a little differently. It does better with unhinted fonts (i think).

If this problem is particular to me, i'll probably just get the previous version of the regular weight and the new bold version and rename them to the same name in fontforge. That'll meet my needs.
kleinjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:33 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-09-2016 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Removing old version fonts
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2016, 01:42 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please try the hinted and non-hinted versions and let me know which works better and on what device. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:49 PM   #49
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Congratulations, JSWolf! and thank you very much for your work.
I've spent years successfully using your modified Charis, (all e-books in the family), but now with the new ChareInkTest-NoHinting the appearance is much better.
Thanks again.
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:31 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacelar View Post
Congratulations, JSWolf! and thank you very much for your work.
I've spent years successfully using your modified Charis, (all e-books in the family), but now with the new ChareInkTest-NoHinting the appearance is much better.
Thanks again.
Your welcome. Happy to help.

Have you tried the hinted version? I'd like to know how you find the hinted version.
Advert
Old 07-04-2016, 03:03 PM   #51
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
I'd say the non-hinted version is a tiny bit crisper on my Aura HD. Great work! Thanks a lot.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #52
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Here are two more test versions. I've upped the weight some more and included a version with no hinting. Again, if you find anything wrong, please let me know.
I tried the no-hinting version with Koreader on a PW3. Excellent and crispy display both for regular and italic. Thanks for your appreciated work.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:27 PM   #53
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'd like to know how you find the hinted version.
I prefer the non-hinted, because its appearance is a bit more clean and crisp.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:58 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Thanks all. I'll maintain both the hinted and non-hinted since some oprefer the non-hinted.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:46 AM   #55
jbacelar
Interested in the matter

ChareInkTest issues

Found three small issues
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ChareInkTest.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	149911  
Old 07-05-2016, 11:29 AM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Found three small issues
Try increasing the line height. That should solve the problem.

What reading software are you using? I'm using some version RMDSK (ADE) with my H2O and the font displays descenders no problem.

But if need be, I could adjust the metrics to give a slightly larger line-height.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Try increasing the line height. That should solve the problem.

What reading software are you using? I'm using some version RMDSK (ADE) with my H2O and the font displays descenders no problem.

But if need be, I could adjust the metrics to give a slightly larger line-height.
Are these glyphs going outside the em-square of the font at all?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:56 AM   #58
jbacelar
Interested in the matter

A picture is worth a thousand words.
A screenshot taken from WordPad with the font size to 100.
(I have also pointed out the problem with red lines).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Comparativa.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	149920  
Old 07-05-2016, 03:15 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
A picture is worth a thousand words.
A screenshot taken from WordPad with the font size to 100.
(I have also pointed out the problem with red lines).
The reason for this is because I've upped the weight and the metrics were not changed. I'll have a new test version soon.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:31 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Newest test versions

I've posted another test version that should have the descenders fixed. Also, the weight has been upped slightly. I've used Windows Font Viewer to check and the descenders look good to go.

Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. I've removed the attachments and have added them later on in this thread.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-19-2016 at 09:24 AM.