Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
BookishMom
Connoisseur
BookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheese

Device: K1, K2, and iPad. :)
505 for library ebooks & disfunctional sony library

Hi everyone,

I'm considering purchasing a Sony 505 to download PDF/ePub ebooks from the library. I've downloaded the software for the Sony eBook Library and it won't connect.

I'm using XP and have researched all the fixes, uninstalled, deleted extra files, reinstalled numerous times, and it still won't connect, so I can't register an account. (All the "fixes" say that one of the files to delete is a "Marlin" file. I can't find that one to delete, and it never seems to install, so that may be the problem.)

So, in the event that I can't ever get the Sony eBook Library to connect, and register, and work, can I still download eBooks from the library without it? (I've installed Digital Editions without a problem.)

Does anyone have any other suggestions for making the Sony eBook Library software work? (Still wondering about that missing Marlin file.)

Thanks in advance!
BookishMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
YES!!! Library books are downloaded onto the 505 using Adobe Digital Editions, so you wouldn't even need the Sony Library Software. The only reason I like having the Sony software is so I can download the free books that Sony offers, and occasionally buy books from sony Store. But I seem to buy more books from BooksOnBoard. Maybe/hopefully someone else can help you fix the issues with the Sony library.

Good luck!
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
BookishMom
Connoisseur
BookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheese

Kelly, okay, so now I'm hopeful! The reason I was worried is because the OverDrive website site says you that you must have the library, and so don't Sony's website.

From the OverDrive help pages "Also, you must have the Sony eBook Library software installed on your computer to transfer Adobe eBooks to the Sony Reader."

It's installed, but it doesn't connect, so I can't get a registered account.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Kelly is quite right, you don't need the Sony ebook library to download ebooks from a library. When you download your book, a box will open asking if you want to save or open the file. Click 'open' and Digital Editions will automatically open and save your book. You can read your book on Digital Editions as well.

When trying to connect to Sony's ebook store with the ebook library, have you tried disabling your firewall software? I believe Norton 360 often causes connection difficulties. There is a thread around here somewhere about it...I will try to find it. There might be some useful information, even if you don't have Norton.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ghlight=norton

Last edited by Curly; 05-17-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:14 PM   #5
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I have trouble with sony on one of our computers, I don't know why. My husband, who is much more tech savvy than I, also does not know why. I only use the sony program with my library books to help put them into collections, but it's my understanding you can use calibre for that as well?

but, as curly and Kelly have said, no need anything other than ADE to get your library books! It's a wonderful thing

Enjoy the world of reading!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2009, 05:09 AM   #6
BookishMom
Connoisseur

Thanks to all of you for your help. This makes me a little more confident about purchasing the 505. I'm so glad I join these forums... you're a friendly and helpful bunch!
Old 05-18-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
Patient
Patient began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Hi

I'm using Calibre to create collections and number the books. Unfortunately the Sony doesn't seem to use the book numbers leaving no way to identify which book is first or next.

Anyone solved this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I have trouble with sony on one of our computers, I don't know why. My husband, who is much more tech savvy than I, also does not know why. I only use the sony program with my library books to help put them into collections, but it's my understanding you can use calibre for that as well?

but, as curly and Kelly have said, no need anything other than ADE to get your library books! It's a wonderful thing

Enjoy the world of reading!
Patient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:58 AM   #8
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patient View Post
Hi

I'm using Calibre to create collections and number the books. Unfortunately the Sony doesn't seem to use the book numbers leaving no way to identify which book is first or next.

Anyone solved this problem?
I haven't "graduated" to calibre yet, but if I copy the books into my collections in a certain order, that's the order they show up in my reader. The first book I put in is the first book in the folder on my reader. Maybe it works that way in calibre?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:25 AM   #9
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Calibre sorts the books in a collection using their series number. But you need to use the "send books to reader" approach rather than just copying by hand or saving to disk. The reason is that the collection information is not actually contained in the eBook files, but rather in a special meta-data file on the reader. You have to give Calibre a clue that it needs to update that file.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Also--with the Sony software, once you've created a collection, you can drag the books within it to change their order.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #11
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You do need to have eBook Library installed for ADE to see the Reader so that you can activate it. Not really necessary after that.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:43 AM   #12
BookishMom
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
You do need to have eBook Library installed for ADE to see the Reader so that you can activate it. Not really necessary after that.
Thanks igorsk. I was able to install it, and was able to actually register an account (in case that was needed) when it connected me to the store for about 5 minutes yesterday. I'm glad that I won't need to access it after this.