Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-27-2008, 04:57 PM   #16
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
That was my first thought. If they can't do their own research, how do they 'think' they need a Kindle?
I think that a lot of people may be able to recognize the potential of a technology even if they're not sure how to use it. Still, it makes me sad that they can't just give Google a try and do a little reading on their own. It really bothers me how many women assume that technology is a man's world. When I was a little girl I always got pushed towards the arts despite the fact that I excelled in math and science. Now I'm an engineer but I don't have the traditional background and have to play catch up. I wonder how many little girls are still out there that could be great engineers and scientists if someone just showed them the possibilities rather than sending them the message that it's unfeminine.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:05 PM   #17
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I think that a lot of people may be able to recognize the potential of a technology even if they're not sure how to use it. Still, it makes me sad that they can't just give Google a try and do a little reading on their own. It really bothers me how many women assume that technology is a man's world. When I was a little girl I always got pushed towards the arts despite the fact that I excelled in math and science. Now I'm an engineer but I don't have the traditional background and have to play catch up. I wonder how many little girls are still out there that could be great engineers and scientists if someone just showed them the possibilities rather than sending them the message that it's unfeminine.
With all due respect, I don't think these ladies have a clue. I think they want one because "she" said they should have one. They can't even do their own research, and I"m afraid they aren't the only ones.
On the Kindle discussion page, there was someone who bought two because of her, before doing any other research, and then was amazed because there was no whispernet coverage in her area. The main Kindle page on Amazon answers just about all questions anyone might have.
Many people will buy these on her say so , having no idea what they are doing, then, when their expectations are not met, will bash the device.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2008, 05:14 PM   #18
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
With all due respect, I don't think these ladies have a clue. I think they want one because "she" said they should have one. They can't even do their own research, and I"m afraid they aren't the only ones.
On the Kindle discussion page, there was someone who bought two because of her, before doing any other research, and then was amazed because there was no whispernet coverage in her area. The main Kindle page on Amazon answers just about all questions anyone might have.
Many people will buy these on her say so , having no idea what they are doing, then, when their expectations are not met, will bash the device.
I try not to make such harsh assumptions about people without meeting them.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:17 PM   #19
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I try not to make such harsh assumptions about people without meeting them.
Really? How wonderful of you.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:29 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Husband will look at the price and say.. You don't need that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2008, 05:38 PM   #21
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Really? How wonderful of you.
I'm not looking for a gold star. I just think it makes life more pleasant and when I give people a chance to be excellent they usually want to live up to it. Besides, I think that on a forum like this we should try to be open to newbies and not make people feel bad if they don't know what they're doing or aren't comfortable with technology. I would like to encourage more women to get comfortable but as long as we call them imbeciles and insult them the less likely that's going to happen. I'm for more carrot and a little less stick.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:39 PM   #22
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Ficbot, is this for real? I think you are pulling our legs!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:42 PM   #23
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Ficbot, is this for real? I think you are pulling our legs!
I'm not sure where ficbot is hanging out but I also participate on a forum that's almost all women. I've seen plenty of questions about the Kindle before and after the Oprah thing and not one of them said they were going to go ask their husbands to look into it. They were looking online and asking around for people who had them to get personal opinions. Most of them are not techie folks, either.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:46 PM   #24
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
As far as an explanation goes, "iPod for books" is probably a very good starting point. If they don't know what an iPod is, they'll probably decide they don't need an ebook reader, which (at this point) is probably a good bet. If they know enough to ask more questions after that, it's worth providing more info, including that it's often easiest to buy books from the same place you get your ebook reader, so they'll "work right." Anyone who asks "why" can be given the full info-dump.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:49 PM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Dispatched their husbands indeed!! What, are they completely brain dead? Do they have to have a man do everything for them?
You would be surprised. Then again, there are some guys I know that would be dead if it weren't for their wives.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:52 PM   #26
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You would be surprised. Then again, there are some guys I know that would be dead if it weren't for their wives.

BOb
Even though DH and I are both software engineers and pretty self-sufficient when it comes to computers, gadgets, etc., I'm the one that gets "dispatched" for anything network related. He gets "dispatched" when I hit the occasional Linux problem I can't configure or google my way out of. We both have our strengths. Oh, and he gets spider duty, too.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:20 PM   #27
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Absolutely not. If you can type, its not a problem at all, and when you realize all you are using the keyboard for is searching, life is good.
Just for clarification, Desertgrandma, by daunting (which is really the wrong word) I meant intimidating. My mother who is 85 won't touch a computer or anything that looks like a computer -- she is intimidated by it -- but she quickly took up the Sony because it reminded her more of a book. I didn't mean to imply that the Kindle was more difficult to use because of the keyboard, simply how it may -- rightly or wrongly -- be perceived by someone who is tech challenged.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:21 PM   #28
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
I'm not looking for a gold star. I just think it makes life more pleasant and when I give people a chance to be excellent they usually want to live up to it. Besides, I think that on a forum like this we should try to be open to newbies and not make people feel bad if they don't know what they're doing or aren't comfortable with technology. I would like to encourage more women to get comfortable but as long as we call them imbeciles and insult them the less likely that's going to happen. I'm for more carrot and a little less stick.
But the point was, they aren't looking to learn. They want their husbands, friends, etc to do the research for them.

No one was more 'tech challenged' than me when I first started with this. I had never wanted anything to do with such a thing as one of those 'new fangled e-book readers'. However, it didn't take long to change my own mind.....I just wanted it badly enough to do my own looking.........no one is too dumb to do that, and I never called them inbeciles. I"m just saying......if Ophra "kindled" their interest, fine. After that, its up to them to see if its something they really want.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:22 PM   #29
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Just for clarification, Desertgrandma, by daunting (which is really the wrong word) I meant intimidating. My mother who is 85 won't touch a computer or anything that looks like a computer -- she is intimidated by it -- but she quickly took up the Sony because it reminded her more of a book. I didn't mean to imply that the Kindle was more difficult to use because of the keyboard, simply how it may -- rightly or wrongly -- be perceived by someone who is tech challenged.
Understood.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:25 PM   #30
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Even though DH and I are both software engineers and pretty self-sufficient when it comes to computers, gadgets, etc., I'm the one that gets "dispatched" for anything network related. He gets "dispatched" when I hit the occasional Linux problem I can't configure or google my way out of. We both have our strengths. Oh, and he gets spider duty, too.
We both fight over who's going to hide from the relatives with computer-related questions. At least with my relatives it's usually a genuine problem; with some of his it's because they don't believe in anti virus and wonder why their PCs break every 6 months or so.

I can catch spiders (we have a small spider hoover!), but DH puts them out mostly.

And unfortunately my mum is the sort who would dispatch dad to find out about anything like that, as she's convinced herself she can't understand "techy" stuff (despite me having proved to her that she actually does).
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote