Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #46
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
I will play with mine when it gets here, but unless there is a solution about the amazon control they have on the kfhd, or amazon wakes up and sees that they may lose customers that bought it as a reader and also for other things other than amazon. It will be returned before the right of return expires and buy something else.

They are starting to get bad press on this, and one things company's do understand is the bottom line. If I were Google I would play the amazon cage that is built into the kindle to the max. Bad for amazon good for Google and other tablet makers.

Last edited by DustyDisks; 09-15-2012 at 07:22 PM.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #47
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
Yes, but the truth is that you are not really buying a tablet. You're buying into a community. If you are already a Kindle customer then I agree that the Kindle Fire is a good deal. If you are not then the iPad 3 16gb is so much more in every way and you can still read your Kindle books. The iPad 2 is OK but stretch your $$$ and get the 3. It trounces the Kindle when viewed as a system.
Which is exactly why I want no part of i-anything. Amazon's gated community is a more welcoming, less expensive, 'what can I do for you' oasis wheraas Apple's gated community is more of a 'don't even think about that' gulag. While you think it's great that you can get Amazon services on your iPad, I think it's awesome that Jeff lets me use my Amazon services on whatever device I choose.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #48
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
Here is a comparison of the 7" hd and the ipad 3.

Okay can't seem to get it to post here's the link

[EDIT: URL shortening service link deleted. equivalent Youtube embedded code used.]

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-16-2012 at 10:30 AM.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #49
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
Here is a comparison of the 7" hd and the ipad 3.
In that review the KF HD looks like a very dumbed down version of Android to me. Like Amazon wants to hold your hand all the way, they've crippled Android and removed all the customization and flexibility that comes with it.

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-16-2012 at 10:31 AM.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #50
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Getting back to the reviews business, here's a couple of Hands-on reports on the shipping FireHD 7:

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ly/#more-39455

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...ned-by-amazon/
I find this disturbing:

Quote:
I’ve found and installed several alternate home screens. The KFHD refuses to allow me to open them – even though they validly installed.
They've gone so far as to alter the OS to not be compatible any more. It makes you wonder what else has been modified to prevent you from deviating from "Amazon approved apps". What about 3rd party readers? Or music and video players?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #51
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Other video players are definitely working on the Fire HD 7" - as for reading apps, I don't know yet. I do know that many apps do install from apks and work just fine. As for the alternate launchers, that's probably a permissions issue rather than a compatibility issue. I expect them to work once root is enabled.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #52
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I think I'll just wait for Google to release their own full-sized full-blown Android tablet.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #53
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Which is exactly why I want no part of i-anything. Amazon's gated community is a more welcoming, less expensive, 'what can I do for you' oasis wheraas Apple's gated community is more of a 'don't even think about that' gulag. While you think it's great that you can get Amazon services on your iPad, I think it's awesome that Jeff lets me use my Amazon services on whatever device I choose.
You're viewing the walled gardens differently. Amazon's KFHD is far more prison-like than any i-device. The original Kindle Fire had loose control, the HD has much tighter control and forced ads on the lockscreen (removable by paying a $15 ransom) and the constant "other customers have purchased" ads are ever present even after paying.

The KFHD is turning out to be little more than a dedicated ATM machine for Amazon purchases.

Apple: "This is what we're doing, but you can add to that. Have your own media? We'll integrate it with the media that you buy from us."

Amazon: "This is what we're doing, and we'll tell you what you can add. If you want to add your own media, you can only do so by figuring it out yourself and THEN we'll quarantine your media for the leper it is." Amazon App Store deliberately blocks apps from installing on the KF that Amazon does not want you to install. Not for technical reasons, but for marketing reasons. Side loaded videos do not appear in the video section of the KFHD.

From a "limited general use Android tablet" point of view, the KFHD is a big step backwards. From an "Amazon point of sales" perspective, they've made a huge leap forward.

Having said that, I'll probably keep mine.

Bezos was disingenuous when he keeps referring to the Kindle Fire line as "tablets", but he was truthful when he said that "Kindle Fire is a service". In that respect, the KF hardware is nothing more than a set top box for cable.

Last edited by WillysJeepMan; 09-16-2012 at 10:25 AM.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #54
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
You're viewing the walled gardens differently. Amazon's KFHD is far more prison-like than any i-device. The original Kindle Fire had loose control, the HD has much tighter control and forced ads on the lockscreen (removable by paying a $15 ransom) and the constant "other customers have purchased" ads are ever present even after paying.

The KFHD is turning out to be little more than a dedicated ATM machine for Amazon purchases.

Apple: "This is what we're doing, but you can add to that. Have your own media? We'll integrate it with the media that you buy from us."

Amazon: "This is what we're doing, and we'll tell you what you can add. If you want to add your own media, you can only do so by figuring it out yourself and THEN we'll quarantine your media for the leper it is." Amazon App Store deliberately blocks apps from installing on the KF that Amazon does not want you to install. Not for technical reasons, but for marketing reasons. Side loaded videos do not appear in the video section of the KFHD.

From a "limited general use Android tablet" point of view, the KFHD is a big step backwards. From an "Amazon point of sales" perspective, they've made a huge leap forward.

Having said that, I'll probably keep mine.

Bezos was disingenuous when he keeps referring to the Kindle Fire line as "tablets", but he was truthful when he said that "Kindle Fire is a service". In that respect, the KF hardware is nothing more than a set top box for cable.
I like amazon, and I am hoping that there is a "ground swell" of indignation of users that they listen and back down and "unlock" the kfhd so users can "customize" it.

If they do not there maybe a chance all of the "ballyhoo" on how great the fire hd is will turn into an egg in the face moment.

Time will tell!
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #55
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Video review, highlights the new reading features:
http://www.thekindlechronicles.com/2...-on-fire-hd-7/
Quote:
This 9-minute video shows what it’s like to read books and a newspaper on the new Fire HD, as well as show you why the Special Offers feature of the Fire is not much of a problem, in my humble opinion. I’ll also tell you why I think WhisperSync for Voice and Immersion Reading are such significant breakthroughs for readers. Enjoy!
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #56
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
This is silly.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #57
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Well, Nate at the Digital Reader certainly seems to agree with WillysJeepMan. he's not very impressed with the ads and special offers.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #58
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Different people have different tolerances.
Amazon *may* have crossed a line in ad loading, or maybe not.
Pre-ordering toys always incurs a risk, which is where no-questions-asked returns comes in.
As Gregor of Barrayar would say; "Let's see what happens."

(Me, I'm more concerned by the reports of app incompatibilities/blocks.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #59
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I was going to buy the 7 inch Kindle Fire HD, but am sticking with my 1st gen Fire for now. I have a Fire mainly so I can read my Kindle books in the dark, I watch some videos on it, and look things up on the internet here and there. And I like the 7 inch size.

Now that you can watch Prime videos on the iPad though, I'm using the Fire as an ereader, and web device in a pinch. The new one looks nice but I don't really need it.

I do admit though, that the Kindle Fire 4G is kind of calling my name. It would be nice to have a backup for my iPad but again, don't really need it..
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #60
wizwor
Wizard

I will get to touch a Fire HD for the first time Tuesday when a friend brings his to work. I'm in no hurry to get one as I have been very satisfied with gen #1.