Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-23-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
laurenrw
laurenrw began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Question words break at random in mobi file

I've converted my (well-behaved) epub file to .mobi format, and everything looks good except word breaks. Words break at the end of a line at random -- for example, if the line can't fit the whole word "coming" then "comin" will appear at the end of the line and the "g" appears at the start of the next line. It looks awful.

Anyone ever seen this? Wha went wrong and how do I fix it?

Appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thank you, -- Lauren
laurenrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
laurenrw

To add to the confusion: I enabled "heuristic processing and dinked around with the line unwrap factor. I set it to 0.20 -- made matters worse. Set it to 0.60 -- made matters *much* worse. Why should the situation get worse (more words breaking at line endings) *either way*?!?

Sure could use a clue here. Thanks.
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
It's hard to speculate about these things, I'd think it's something caused by someone TiDy with wrapping enabled and \n\r EOL's. If you could post some of the raw epub formatting, that might show what's happening. Should be fixable with a little regex if it's what I think.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
laurenrw

Serpentine,

Not sure what you mean by the raw epub formatting. Attached is a sample epub file made from (a portion of) the same source in exactly the same way. Will this work?

Thanks for any help you can offer. -- Lauren
Attached Files
File Type: epub Riding the Cyclone, sample.epub (206.3 KB, 120 views)
Old 11-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, it looks like some of the CSS in that is causing Calibre to replace all of the spaces with non-breaking spaces. As such it just sees entire paragraphs as a single long word, when it does line wrapping it cant try to cut at white spaces. i.e.,
Code:
<p class="calibre18"><span class="calibre7">“Never&nbsp;imagined&nbsp;I’d&nbsp;be&nbsp;a&nbsp;babysitter,”&nbsp;I&nbsp;hear&nbsp;SNIPno&nbsp;idea&nbsp;I’m&nbsp;grooming&nbsp;the&nbsp;horse&nbsp;in&nbsp;the&nbsp;next&nbsp;stall.</span></p>
You can fix this by removing: white-spacere-wrap
From the styles, in specifically the divs that wrap each chapter.
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
laurenrw

OK, thanks for the clue. But how do I get at the CSS? I have a tool that can open and edit CSS (and any other text) files -- what I don't see is how to get to it. I have an epub file in and a mobi file out, and both appear as just a single binary file to the OS.

Where or how do I get the file to edit?
Thank you.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
Serpentine
Evangelist

I would suggest downloading Sigil - it'll let you edit the EPUB directly and does everything you need. Once that is removed the conversion should be as expected, it should also read a bit easier on other devices if they decide to support that option.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
laurenrw

Thank you. Much appreciated.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #9
laurenrw

Yes, Sigil fixed it. Helps to know *what* to change. Thanks for your help.

Tags
word break