Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-23-2014, 02:51 AM   #691
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I can't see it on mine at all, even with my glasses off. Not sure why.
I have the cross pattern, though I only noticed it after several days, and with a certain light (also natural light). It does not bother me, though.

As for the pinholes, at some point (not the beginning) I am pretty sure I saw three of them, but the next day they were gone - maybe dust or something? So even with pinholes one should give it a couple of days to make sure is a permanent defect.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:26 AM   #692
samosa
Groupie
samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, AuraHD, AuraH2O, GloHD, Mini, DXG, PW123, Voyage, NookSTG
My Aura keeps on having issues with the external SD card. I love this eReader, I even love the webby things on the screen when I turn pages, but this SD card thing is forcing me to restart the reader again and again and again.

I am also a bit miffed that the SD card has a bit sticking outside - it doesn't go all the way in like on the Aura HD. Is my Aura just poorly manufactured or is there a deliberate reason for having a tiny little bit of the SD card sticking out even when it's pushed all the way in?
samosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:11 AM   #693
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa View Post

I am also a bit miffed that the SD card has a bit sticking outside - it doesn't go all the way in like on the Aura HD. Is my Aura just poorly manufactured or is there a deliberate reason for having a tiny little bit of the SD card sticking out even when it's pushed all the way in?
All the Auras do that. I haven't even put a card in mine, with 4gb internal, I haven't needed to.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:27 AM   #694
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
is there a deliberate reason for having a tiny little bit of the SD card sticking out even when it's pushed all the way in?
My guess is that as you have to push the card in slightly to trigger the eject mechanism, you need a little bit protruding in order to push it.

Are there other SD card mechanisms that are flush?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:14 PM   #695
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Certainly with any mobile phones/tablets I've owned the SD card is flush, I thought that was normal? Having it protruding slightly just seems like poor design. Better to require you to push it in with your fingernail because its flush than having it sticking out the side....
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #696
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
Certainly with any mobile phones/tablets I've owned the SD card is flush, I thought that was normal? Having it protruding slightly just seems like poor design. Better to require you to push it in with your fingernail because its flush than having it sticking out the side....
It's flush on the Glo. I have read it's flush on the Aura HD, as well, though I haven't put a card in mine. Definitely a messed up design choice. No one wants the card sticking out. That's just ridiculous.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:15 PM   #697
samosa
Groupie
samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
It's flush on the Glo. I have read it's flush on the Aura HD, as well, though I haven't put a card in mine. Definitely a messed up design choice. No one wants the card sticking out. That's just ridiculous.
Yup its def flush on my Aura HD. I have sometimes put the Aura standing up on a flat surface (that's when I'm trying to reboot the Aura single handed by pulling the on/off switch repeatedly) and then the SD card got pushed and fall out.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:31 PM   #698
samosa
Groupie

Quote:
All the Auras do that. I haven't even put a card in mine, with 4gb internal, I haven't needed to.
I guess you are a v organized person so you managed to fit in what you need into 4GB. Whereas I like to throw everything in there and 4GB is far from enough.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:33 AM   #699
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I use a small piece of black electric tape over the SD card from front to back to ensure my SD card stays put and isn't knocked. I also have the kobo sleep case which is longer than the Aura so if I hold my Aura upright against a table the SD card isn't touched.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:28 AM   #700
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I guess you are a v organized person so you managed to fit in what you need into 4GB. Whereas I like to throw everything in there and 4GB is far from enough.
Yes, I am organized. I don't keep my entire catalog on my Kobo. I keep next in series, 1st in series, non-series, and some favorite author collections on the Kobo.

I keep my catalog on my Nexus 7 and Nook HD tablets. A large catalog of ebooks doesn't affect their speed at all. Whereas eink devices are affected by large catalogs of books (IMO). I did once experiment with putting a huge catalog on my Kobo Glo (not all at one time). I didn't find that it was really necessary to have them ALL on there.

I have maybe 1800 documents on my Kobo Aura, which hardly uses any of the internal space. (Lots are short stories). I can keep the same 1800 on all my Kobos, that way, whichever one I grab, the book I want is there. (Although I don't have that many on my Mini's).
Old 05-25-2014, 04:02 PM   #701
Cocoak
Cocoak began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Prs T-1, Sony Prs T-2, Kindle 4, Kindle Touch, PAPYRE 6.1.3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Black is sophisticated, but I like the Brown..........
I've bought the brown too. I like it very much. :-)
Cocoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:00 PM   #702
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
I bought a Kobo Aura on Saturday. I bought it in a local shop so I could easily return it if it was defective. It has the cross-hatch pattern at the top of the screen and a bright pin-prick right at the bottom. Neither of them bother me enough to make me return it.

My first impressions are disappointing. The screen has a yellowish tinge to it and seems to be more blurry than the Kobo Touch despite the increased resolution. Pages turns are quicker and the screen only flashes once a chapter. I would have been happy with my Kobo Touch but the battery was severely degraded after only very intermittent charging over the past two years. I really like the form-factor of the Aura, it is very light, thin and the flush bezel is a huge improvement. However the colour and defects of the screen are disappointing.

I have been reading on a tablet for a while now and perhaps I have to adjust again to an E-Ink device. I still prefer my tablet but a battery which last less than 10 hours is not really compatible with my reading habits.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:49 AM   #703
samosa
Groupie

Quote:
Yes, I am organized. I don't keep my entire catalog on my Kobo. I keep next in series, 1st in series, non-series, and some favorite author collections on the Kobo.

I keep my catalog on my Nexus 7 and Nook HD tablets. A large catalog of ebooks doesn't affect their speed at all. Whereas eink devices are affected by large catalogs of books (IMO). I did once experiment with putting a huge catalog on my Kobo Glo (not all at one time). I didn't find that it was really necessary to have them ALL on there.

I have maybe 1800 documents on my Kobo Aura, which hardly uses any of the internal space. (Lots are short stories). I can keep the same 1800 on all my Kobos, that way, whichever one I grab, the book I want is there. (Although I don't have that many on my Mini's).
I agree with you about the speed issue. Though Kobo claims that their readers can deal with 32GB external SD cards, in my experience they can deal with 3 or 4GB of contents on cards at most.

Some of the books I bought from Kobo are seriously huge... may be they have photos in there, which is why they are so big. I hope they will solve this issue eventually. The Kobos eReaders are simply not coping well with large amount of files. The Nooks I have do pretty well in comparison. After inserting a SD card loaded with books into a Kobo, it will take half a day to catalog the contents (I think that's what it's doing with a bar counting percentages), but do the same to a Nook ST and I can switch it on and start reading straightaway.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #704
samosa
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by corroonb View Post
My first impressions are disappointing. The screen has a yellowish tinge to it and seems to be more blurry than the Kobo Touch despite the increased resolution.
If you turn on the light then it would appear much whiter - 25% works a treat. The Kindle Paperwhite appear so white partly becoz it has the light switched on whenever the Kindle is on.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:14 PM   #705
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I agree with you about the speed issue. Though Kobo claims that their readers can deal with 32GB external SD cards, in my experience they can deal with 3 or 4GB of contents on cards at most.

Some of the books I bought from Kobo are seriously huge... may be they have photos in there, which is why they are so big. I hope they will solve this issue eventually. The Kobos eReaders are simply not coping well with large amount of files. The Nooks I have do pretty well in comparison. After inserting a SD card loaded with books into a Kobo, it will take half a day to catalog the contents (I think that's what it's doing with a bar counting percentages), but do the same to a Nook ST and I can switch it on and start reading straightaway.
I opened up my 2 Kobo Minis yesterday and they both had 4gb cards in them, instead of 2. So I copied the image of one and wrote it to a 16gb card. The other one, I used software to extend the partition to use the whole card. Since then, I've been adding books to both. I just love the Mini. But the Aura is still the favorite, due to the light and the fact I can buy a slim snap on case.

I'm removing books from my Nook HD. I've gone back to preferring to read on Eink. I've got a Nook ST on the way to root and turn into a little eink tablet. I like to play with my toys

Last edited by booklover6; 05-27-2014 at 01:16 PM.