Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
marshal wiggin
marshal wiggin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Attach pictures (not cover!) to the book

I am reading the Game of Thrones. Question: I would like to "attach" somehow some maps to the "Calibre - Game of Thrones - book". Is that possible somehow? (they are pictures ... jpg, png ...) Thanks
marshal wiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
What format is the book?

If it is epub, then you can use the Sigil epub editor to insert the images wherever you like.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshal wiggin View Post
I am reading the Game of Thrones. Question: I would like to "attach" somehow some maps to the "Calibre - Game of Thrones - book". Is that possible somehow? (they are pictures ... jpg, png ...) Thanks
You include them in the EPUB.
If your coding skills are good (I suspect, not,because of the question ) , use Tweak and make the edits.

Simple: Use Sigil.
Locate the point in the page (place the insert cursor there), then click the Black computer screen icon and choose the picture file (stored on your computer) to add.
Save
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:59 AM   #4
marshal wiggin
marshal wiggin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
no

the format is: PRC

and i am not sure about moving them inside the book. the images are huge, and if you make it small you will not be able to read the text on the map
marshal wiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I do not think that there is any way to attach external image files to a book.

There is nothing to stop you simply storing them in the same folder as the book without informing calibre, but I suspect that is not what you are looking for.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I do not think that there is any way to attach external image files to a book.

There is nothing to stop you simply storing them in the same folder as the book without informing calibre, but I suspect that is not what you are looking for.
He's free to inform calibre by simply dragging a jpg or other image file into the GUI. Calibre will handle it like any other ebook format. He'd be able to see the existence of that file as a JPG format ebook record.

I've got some maps that I dropped in with .txt format ebooks. I've also got some independent jpg images that go with series, but no particular book. They are stored as separate records. In fact, if there's an opf file in the same folder with the same name as the image file, Calibre will read the opf file and populate a new record with the metadata in that opf file. If the opf file points to the jpg image as the book cover, you'll see the image in the cover browser.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #7
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
But doesn't Calibre allow only one of any file type? So adding 2 jpg-s is impossible. I zipped all my Song of Ice and Fire pics - maps, fanart of characters and whatever.
For adding maps to prc I recommend mobiunpack + Mobipocket Creator. If image file is added as separate file (not as cover), then clicking on it makes it original size.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by travger View Post
But doesn't Calibre allow only one of any file type? So adding 2 jpg-s is impossible.
Correct.
Quote:
I zipped all my Song of Ice and Fire pics - maps, fanart of characters and whatever.
For adding maps to prc I recommend mobiunpack + Mobipocket Creator. If image file is added as separate file (not as cover), then clicking on it makes it original size.
I prefer to leave ZIP for calibre to store HTML and I add RAR or another compressed format when I want to put multiple copies of the same filetype in a single record.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #9
Backi
Connoisseur
Backi has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: PB912 Matt White
Attach arbitrary files

I proceed with this thread as it addresses an issue, which is really annoying: attaching arbitrary files.

I have several files, which belong to an ebook, like:
  • Source code archives
  • CD-ROM contents
  • Downloaded errata
  • Book discussions saved as html/mht/maff etc.
  • Own note files
Initially I put them into the book folder in the library, but realized that they were deleted after a change to the book title or author name! Affected folders were deleted by Calibre and created with new names without preserving all files. Fortunately I had a backup.

As a workaround I had to include them as an archive as if it was another format of the corresponding ebook. But that is nonsense, since it is not a further format.

Is there no possibility to implement a separate section or folder for (protected) attachements in Calibre?

Last edited by Backi; 05-12-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Backi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:25 AM   #10
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: K3 W/3G (Fixed screen!) & Paperwhite Wifi
Yes I have this same issue. (And it poped up with Game of Thrones also. (Maps and Family tree images) (Previously it was with the Maps for Honor Harrington books)

It woulod be nice to be able to attach multiple maps/images to a book in Calibre.
JohnnyBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBook View Post
Yes I have this same issue. (And it poped up with Game of Thrones also. (Maps and Family tree images) (Previously it was with the Maps for Honor Harrington books)

It woulod be nice to be able to attach multiple maps/images to a book in Calibre.
Putting Images INTO a book is easy.

So the question is really: Which book:

1) Add a missing 'x'' (image) to 'the' book?

2) Make a Companion (Separate from the original) Book?

Using Sigil, it takes about a minute (if the Image is 'Camera Ready' )
with the book Loaded into Sigil:
a) File Open: Add Existing: Image(s): <Select them>: OK
b) Locate the caret at place for the (first) Image; Edit: Insert Image: <pick from the books list of available images>; Ok. Repeat as needed.

Save the book

Want the image on a Separate page? Place the Image at the End of the 'to be' PREVIOUS page. Now Split the Page at the 'old' endpoint. This make a new page with All the (HTML boilerplate) linkages in place.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #12
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
For example on Baen CD are some songs I want to add to Honor Harrington book, + lyrics. I think it's best to rar them (and the cover art, and maps) and add rar to Calibre. In the future it's easy to drop all kinds of odds and ends into that rar, Calibre doesn't care how big it is, just that it is present.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote