Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
sd card books

I went to Borders today to play with the Kobo touch. Let me just say 'Nice!' They dont' have to updated firmware on it, but I still think it was faster than the Nook. But there was one question the nice lady couldn't answer, so I thought I would ask here.
I like my books stored on the micro sd card, about 2000 books. Yes, all of them, I'm anal. But I like to be able to make folders to organize them in, and sub folders. I have folders with every letter of the alphabet, then under that I have authors by last name, then series written by that author under that, then the books. My Astak EZ Reader allows this, and when I took a card in to try in the nook touch it allowed it. Does the Kobo allow this, and if not will a future firmware update allow it? Please!
Thanks for the info.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Well the Kobo WILL find the files; however, it will (at the momemt) only display the books by Author, Title or Last Read data. ie: your folder structure would not be used in the listing of books.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
here's hoping that they add folders to the kobo, i only have 14 books on my kobo but it would be a welcome feature
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Collections is a fairly universal feature on ereaders, so I hope they add it to the Kobo soon.

One thing I would be curious about though is how the Kobo Touch would react to an SD card with 2000 books on it. I'm wondering if the SD card would be slower to access than internal memory, I assume it would. I also wonder if that many books would noticeably slow down the Kobo Touch.

I assume if you loaded the SD card with 2000 books via your computer and then popped that puppy into the Kobo Touch you would be doing a lot of waiting while it indexed all of them! Most ereaders seem to take a long time indexing that many files. It might even choke, thus requiring you to add the books a few at a time. If anyone tries this please let us now it it goes.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I'll give my old 6" EZ Reader credit. It takes no time to index, never chokes. I do love that reader, but it is rather slow on the page turns.
Please Kobo, put folder browsing on the Touch!
S
Old 07-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Collections is a fairly universal feature on ereaders, so I hope they add it to the Kobo soon.

One thing I would be curious about though is how the Kobo Touch would react to an SD card with 2000 books on it. I'm wondering if the SD card would be slower to access than internal memory, I assume it would. I also wonder if that many books would noticeably slow down the Kobo Touch.

I assume if you loaded the SD card with 2000 books via your computer and then popped that puppy into the Kobo Touch you would be doing a lot of waiting while it indexed all of them! Most ereaders seem to take a long time indexing that many files. It might even choke, thus requiring you to add the books a few at a time. If anyone tries this please let us now it it goes.
I have over 3000 books on mine. It takes just as long as reading from the main memory. If its slower I have not noticed. Also it does take 45 mins to index, which could be reduced if Kobo had the desktop app do the indexing and just place the db map on the kobo itself instead of the Kobo doing it.
Once the processing content is done its business as normal.

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
I have over 3000 books on mine. It takes just as long as reading from the main memory. If its slower I have not noticed. Also it does take 45 mins to index, which could be reduced if Kobo had the desktop app do the indexing and just place the db map on the kobo itself instead of the Kobo doing it.
Once the processing content is done its business as normal.

regards

jack
With 3000 books 45 minutes isn't bad, assuming it only indexes once when you insert the card. If it re-indexes after every book addition/deletion, then that would be a problem. A lot of ereaders from other manufacturers will crash if you add 3000 books at one time, so the KT does well.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
silverraven
Guru

Quote:
Also it does take 45 mins to index,
So, not complaining, just don't understand firmware differences, why does my Astak EZ Reader not need to index? Even if I load the SD card, then put it into the reader and turn it on, it only takes a couple of minutes to show up all the books. I know the Sony 600 I had would take forever to index too, but my Jetbook was just like my EZ Reader, no indexing.
IS this something that can be addressed by a firmware update, or is it built into the hardware? I wish I understood more about these things.
Thanks for the info!
S
Old 07-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #9
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
So, not complaining, just don't understand firmware differences, why does my Astak EZ Reader not need to index? Even if I load the SD card, then put it into the reader and turn it on, it only takes a couple of minutes to show up all the books. I know the Sony 600 I had would take forever to index too, but my Jetbook was just like my EZ Reader, no indexing.
IS this something that can be addressed by a firmware update, or is it built into the hardware? I wish I understood more about these things.
Thanks for the info!
S
Actually thats an interesting point. If i had to guess maybe your Astak is reading the directory structure? It is after all part of the directory and would certainly do the trick. Thats only an educated guess. Prehaps though there is someone here with more experiance on the Astak?

regards

jack
Old 07-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
With 3000 books 45 minutes isn't bad, assuming it only indexes once when you insert the card. If it re-indexes after every book addition/deletion, then that would be a problem. A lot of ereaders from other manufacturers will crash if you add 3000 books at one time, so the KT does well.
Well it never takes long to process a new book, just a few seconds. Unless I am adding more then one then it will take a little longer. Btw the 45 mins might have been a little longer to be fair. I can insert the card and remove it no issues. I think once the structure is created it maintains it somewhere.

jack
Old 07-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Thanks for the info!
S
Does the Astak have search capabilities? If not it might not need to index. I think indexing is primarily to speed up searching. If each book is indexed as it is first loaded, then the search can be performed faster than if there is no indexing. In other words, trying to search through several hundred books without an index would be painfully slow.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #12
silverraven
Guru

Honestly, I have no idea if you can search on it or now. With the folder system I have never needed to search for a book. I'll look at it later and see if I can figure out if it has searching. But, if it doesn't have searching, that is probably why it is so fast.
S
Old 07-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #13
silverraven
Guru

No search feature, question answered!
S
Old 07-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You can search by book title, author, and ISBN but not within a book.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #15
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
You can search by book title, author, and ISBN but not within a book.
I think that searching within a book is important.