Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 07:52 AM   #16
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
IMO, this "flash" wins hands-down over the animated page turns seen on some other devices.
Now THAT would be annoying!
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:54 AM   #17
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Same as the others here... it bothered me for maybe an hour, then I just didn't "see" it anymore. We had a thread about this recently on here, and I think most people who read a lot on an e-ink reader truly don't notice it anymore. Having said that, though, if I were you I'd see if I could borrow one from a friend for a couple of hours and just do some straight reading. If you're going to get used to it, it doesn't take long. If you're not, you'll know it before you buy. Good luck!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:21 AM   #18
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I had to pick up my Kindle to see if it does that. Yep, it does. Then I realized that if I had to pick it up and check then obviously it's not a problem.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #19
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
It's not a problem to me. I click the button on my Kobo as I start reading the last couple of lines, and the page changes about when I'm ready. It seems to take about the same amount of time as a physical page turn in a paper book.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #20
some call me tim
Connoisseur
some call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra
The flash doesn't bother me. It'd be nicer if it weren't there, sure, but I got used to it quickly. If I were to gripe about something with ereaders, it's be about DRM and .pdf reflow.
some call me tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Now THAT would be annoying!
Actually the "turning page" on the iPad is extremely useful, because it's not merely an animation, but an image of the actual page. That means you can turn the corner of the page back and see both pages at the same time, just like you can with a paper book. That's very handy indeed if you find yourself wanting to have another look at what you'd read at the end of the previous page.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #22
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
To me, it was one of those things that I noticed right away when coming from paper books. It was annoying at first, simply because I was not used to it. After a short period of reading, I don't even notice it any more. It is one of those "disadvantages" of e-ink e-readers that is really trumped up.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
IMO, this "flash" wins hands-down over the animated page turns seen on some other devices.
The page turn animation in iBooks is just silly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #24
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Actually the "turning page" on the iPad is extremely useful, because it's not merely an animation, but an image of the actual page. That means you can turn the corner of the page back and see both pages at the same time, just like you can with a paper book. That's very handy indeed if you find yourself wanting to have another look at what you'd read at the end of the previous page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The page turn animation in iBooks is just silly.

it has its uses .... and I agree with Harry ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #25
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
It is one of those "disadvantages" of e-ink e-readers that is really trumped up.
"really trumped up" by who? The evil anti-eInk forces?

And yeah, I dont' mind the page turning animations in Stanza and iBooks, but maybe its because they feel designed in..which the black flash does not, to me.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
it has its uses .... and I agree with Harry ....
I should add that in "normal" page turning - tapping the screen - in iBooks, there is no animation. You only get one if you "hold and drag" the page across the screen, and the nice thing about it is that you don't have to turn it all the way - you can turn it just as far as you want to in order to see what you want to see, and then turn it back again.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #27
jayne80
Connoisseur
jayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toys

Device: iphone 4s, ipad 3, kindle touch,kindle PW, kobo mini, kobo aura
My husband found the the page flashing was really irritating when someone else was in charge of the page changing (me showing it off ) but once he was in charge of the buttons, he didn't notice it.

So if you could try one out for yourself you might find that the flashing screen isn't an issue.
jayne80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #28
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
If it bothers you then it is a problem. But for others checking this thread, I bet 98% of E-ink screen owners find the flash disappears from their consciousness after a few weeks.

I find an instant page turn (like Stanza's fastest setting on my iPhone) to be more unsettling. We are conditioned to expect some delay, while the eyes move, when reading a physical book.

How fast do you turn physical pages when you're not speed-reading? I'd say the average E-ink turn time meets it or beats it.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #29
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
and on a bit of a side note - is it just me?
i don't see how people put up with this (the popularity of kindle and all)
No, it's not just you. It annoys me too, to the point of not even considering an eInk display. However, whining about it turns one into a pariah in these forums as the vast majority of folks here prefer it to say … eye strain from backlit LCD, or recharging their devices every night.

So I just shut up and wait for one the several competing technologies to mature.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:31 PM   #30
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
No, it's not just you. It annoys me too, to the point of not even considering an eInk display. However, whining about it turns one into a pariah in these forums as the vast majority of folks here prefer it to say … eye strain from backlit LCD, or recharging their devices every night.

So I just shut up and wait for one the several competing technologies to mature.
we aren't pariahs! Just..."outliers"
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote