Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-02-2018, 04:56 PM   #46
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

Sounds to me like the Glowlight 3 is a very good deal.
Sounds to me like the Kobo Aura 2nd Ed is overpriced.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:22 PM   #47
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Sounds to me like the Kobo Aura 2nd Ed is overpriced.
It could just be scale. What can B&N afford compared to Kobo?

Also, the Aura Edition 2 and Paperwhite both run about the same price as the Glowlight 3. But the Glowlight 3 has more features and no $20 'remove the ads' surcharge. That's why I'm thinking of the Glowlight as a deal.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2018, 08:21 PM   #48
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
It could just be scale. What can B&N afford compared to Kobo?
Don't forget there has been a year between these two actions. Maybe there was a rise in a price somewhere that meant the Glo HD wasn't profitable but that by the time B&N looked at it, the price had dropped. Or even the screen sellers tried to screw Kobo and they didn't take the bait.

Or it could be that the Glo HD didn't sell as well as we think it did and Kobo dropped it for that reason.

Or a deliberate act on Kobos part to sell more Aura ONEs. If people wanted a 300DPI Kobo, they had to choose an Aura ONE.

Unless we hear from the people involved, it is all just speculation. Which is of course the point of a thread like this
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:48 PM   #49
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Don't forget there has been a year between these two actions. Maybe there was a rise in a price somewhere that meant the Glo HD wasn't profitable but that by the time B&N looked at it, the price had dropped. Or even the screen sellers tried to screw Kobo and they didn't take the bait.
So, in other words, the Glo HD just wasn't profitable enough to continue?

Quote:
Or it could be that the Glo HD didn't sell as well as we think it did and Kobo dropped it for that reason.

Or a deliberate act on Kobos part to sell more Aura ONEs. If people wanted a 300DPI Kobo, they had to choose an Aura ONE.
That doesn't make sense considering the Glo HD could compete with the Paperwhite and Glowlight Plus. Instead, they retired the HD and the Aura Edition 2 replaced it.

If either of those are true, it explains why Kobo can't compete in the US.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:11 PM   #50
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
As we're discussing Kobo's product line I find it interesting that kobo.ca is out of stock currently on the H2OE2... but has stock of the original H2O.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2018, 10:02 PM   #51
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
I have my Aura One 32 GB arriving tomorrow according to UPS.

Looking at the Nook Glowlight 3, it is BIG for a 6" e-reader as the area surrounding the screen is wide on all four sides. I note that on the B&N web site the dimensions and weight are not currently listed that I could see. I hope that the claimed battery life is due to their using the space for a big battery. I also note that CNET has not yet published a review of it.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:19 AM   #52
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
"The bezel makes the Glowlight 3 big enough that it is almost the same size as the Kobo Aura H2O" - The Digital Reader

The dimensions are listed on B&N - 6.93" x 5" x 0.38" (very slightly slimmer than the original Glowlight, and slightly taller). And according to the Nook comparison page on B&N it weighs 7.0z/196g (compared to the original at 6.2oz).

As a comparison, the Paperwhite is 6.7" x 4.6" x 0.36" and 7.2oz (205g), Voyage is 6.4" x 4.5" x 0.30" and 6.3oz (180g), Kobo Aura 2 is 6.3" x 4.5" x 0.34" and 6.3oz (180g) and the Aura H2O2 is 6.8" x 5.1" x 0.35" and 7.3oz (207g).

It's just very square, lots of people love that and find it easier to hold, for me, it's a complete turn off, and why I never bothered to try a Nook, even when you could pick the Nook ST new for less than £30 back when they aborted their UK interests.

Edited to add: the battery life of 50 days is only a week more than the 6 weeks Amazon give for the Paperwhite, and in the small print it states they measure it over 25 days, so not really sure if the battery is any better or not?

Last edited by soulfuldog; 01-04-2018 at 09:24 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:24 PM   #53
robilarocn
Enthusiast
robilarocn began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab S2 8"
My biggest issue with the original was only 8 gb of storage
robilarocn is offline   Reply With Quote