Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-09-2017, 07:15 AM   #31
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Very rare indeed, I agree. They are, I think, the perfect example of what an author's estate should try to do, which is to put the author's unreleased work into as good a shape as possible for publication.
They've also done great work in building up his literary stature.
He was fairly obscure for most of his life whereas in death he's grown into the top rank of global literary figures. Both popular *and* respected in literary circles.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:44 AM   #32
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
He could have done, but do you really think that PG would have done as good a job? I don't. It really needed someone with the decades-long knowledge of Tolkien's work which Christopher has, to my mind.
Yes.

The work would be in the public domain. Christopher could do his excellent work. And others could also do excellent work.

A win/win scenario.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2017, 07:48 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Yes.

The work would be in the public domain. Christopher could do his excellent work. And others could also do excellent work.

A win/win scenario.
He's entitled to some financial recompense for his work, don't you think? How would he get that if the items were in the public domain?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:10 AM   #34
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
He's entitled to some financial recompense for his work, don't you think? How would he get that if the items were in the public domain?
You can still sell books which are in the public domain...publishers do it every day.

Also, if he is contributing to the manuscript, then he could be listed as co-author, or editor, and create a whole new version that has a new copyright date.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:14 AM   #35
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
You can still sell books which are in the public domain...publishers do it every day.

Also, if he is contributing to the manuscript, then he could be listed as co-author, or editor, and create a whole new version that has a new copyright date.

Shari
That is my undestanding.

I thought that Christopher was adding material, and I thought that was what Harry was commending the Tolkien estate on.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2017, 08:19 AM   #36
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I think comics and graphic novels have a lot of promise. I don't have enough experience with them to know if that promise has ever been fulfilled but I know I haven't seen it done. I've been hopeful about "Maus", which I bought some time ago and will eventually read.
Try reading that and some other more recent graphic novels & graphic nonfiction. I recommend Persepolis, Blankets, Trinity, My Friend Dahmer, the March series, This One Summer, and Fun Home. And if you wish to branch out into somewhat more SFnal/comicky GNs and YA: Saga (NSFW), Nimona, The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Lumberjanes, and Ms Marvel (the newest series).

If you want me to pick just two: the March series and Blankets.

That's enough variety in the list you should be able to find something you like and something you hate.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:20 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
That is my undestanding.

I thought that Christopher was adding material, and I thought that was what Harry was commending the Tolkien estate on.
Editing does not grant a new copyright. Adding new material does, but that's not what Christopher Tolkien does.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:58 AM   #38
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
"Sometimes": seems like a coin flip to me. Maybe the beneficiaries would want the works destroyed.
Maybe. But then everything is a coin flip, isn't it? In the case under discussion, the estate pushed to have Go Set A Watchman published and they are being flambed for it. I honestly don't have any strong antipathy to Harper Lee's estate for publishing the additional novel or granting a graphic novel adaptation. I'm glad that like Kafka's executor they ignored the author's wishes and released the book.

These 'new' works have the chance of being fantastic and a benefit to us all. And if not, they will subside over time.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 06-09-2017 at 10:01 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #39
jswinden
Nameless Being

I won't address the legal concepts, but I approach the use of the material in different formats from the perspective of what I would want if I were the author. I'm not a published author of fiction, only a bunch of boring technical manuals written for various software companies over the past few decades. But if I were a published author of a fiction novel, I don't think I would be opposed to someone adapting that novel to another format as long as they stayed true to the over all message and statement and theme of the novel. Novels are often reinterpreted for the big screen, the little screen, theatrical plays, children's books, etc., and done so in a manner that keeps the new format version in line with the theme and message of the original. Admittedly graphic novels are not something I get into, but who knows how many people can be introduced to a novel like To Kill a Mockingbird through this format.

Who knows what formats will be available in the future. I think a Holodeck format would be really cool in the future where one could either observe from different positions and locations, or even participate as one of the characters. But I'm probably too old to ever see that happen. I would never rule out any new formats when I cannot even imagine what might be available in the future.

Last edited by jswinden; 06-09-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:29 PM   #40
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I just spent a few minutes thinking how I might feel about my work being transcribed to different media if I was a writer. I'm not a writer. Like JSwinden my writing has been mostly software documentation and forum postings. So I have no idea how valid my thoughts on this are, but I think I'd feel complimented. I'd be pretty proud.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:34 PM   #41
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Exceptions make for bad law. I'm a big Tolkien fan and greatly admire the dedication that Christopher Tolkien has shown over the years. I just picked up a copy of "Berend and Luthien" and have a first printing, first edition of the Silmarillion on my book self. It was the first hardback that I bought with my own money. I also think there is a ton of material in the Silmarillion that would make great movies for years to come. I hope they do it.

But the Tolkien estate is literally one in a million. For every Tolkien there are hundreds of thousands of works that are abandon and forgotten. I suspect that if we simply had a system in place where the copyright holder had to renew their copyright every decade for a nominal fee, then there would be little discussion about copyrights. You could even tweak it so that an individual copyright holder could renew all his copyrights at one time so it wouldn't be a burden on the copyright holder.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:03 PM   #42
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I suspect that if we simply had a system in place where the copyright holder had to renew their copyright every decade for a nominal fee, then there would be little discussion about copyrights. You could even tweak it so that an individual copyright holder could renew all his copyrights at one time so it wouldn't be a burden on the copyright holder.
That's entirely logical and feasible. Will never happen!
Old 06-09-2017, 09:08 PM   #43
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That's entirely logical and feasible. Will never happen!
It used to work that way, more or less.
28 years, renewable for a second 28 year term.

Too much money tied up in life + 70 now, though.
It might be the only thing that keeps certain companies in a few decades.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:33 AM   #44
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
It used to work that way, more or less.
28 years, renewable for a second 28 year term.

Too much money tied up in life + 70 now, though.
It might be the only thing that keeps certain companies in a few decades.
As long as Disney has the money to influence lawmakers, (American) copyright will be a mess.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:32 AM   #45
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
I'd far rather that people read Shakespeare (or Harper Lee) as a comic than not read them at all.
What if some read the graphic novel instead of reading the original? For example, they were about to read the original but then they see the comic and pick that up instead, as being "easier". Is that still OK? What if the graphic novel is studied in school instead of the original? Where do we draw the line, if at all?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote