Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-13-2016, 12:48 PM   #31
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
"Dylan’s songs — driven by his distinctive nasal-twang vocals — are often seen as dense prose poems packed with flamboyant, surreal images. Rolling Stone magazine once called him “the most influential American musician rock and roll has ever produced.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...fae_story.html
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:48 PM   #32
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Tom Waits for next year's prize?

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2016, 12:50 PM   #33
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Paul Simon is a much better poet than Waits and today is his birthday! Woo-Hoo!
Old 10-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
monkey likes this poem by Dylan

Rainy Day Women #12 & 35

Quote:
Well, they'll stone ya when you're trying to be so good
They'll stone ya just a-like they said they would
They'll stone ya when you're tryin' to go home
Then they'll stone ya when you're there all alone
But I would not feel so all alone
Everybody must get stoned.

Well, they'll stone ya when you're walkin' 'long the street
They'll stone ya when you're tryin' to keep your seat
They'll stone ya when you're walkin' on the floor
They'll stone ya when you're walkin' to the door
But I would not feel so all alone
Everybody must get stoned.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:55 PM   #35
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
monkey likes this poem by Dylan

Rainy Day Women #12 & 35
By far one of my favorites!!

Just found this from BBC with lots of examples of his words. It clearly shows why he is deserving of this award!

"How many roads must a man walk down
Before you call him a man?
Yes, 'n' how many seas must a white dove sail
Before she sleeps in the sand?
Yes, 'n' how many times must the cannonballs fly
Before they're forever banned?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind
BLOWIN' IN THE WIND, 1962
..."

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37646293
Advert
Old 10-13-2016, 12:58 PM   #36
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
"Dylan’s songs — driven by his distinctive nasal-twang vocals — are often seen as dense prose poems packed with flamboyant, surreal images. Rolling Stone magazine once called him “the most influential American musician rock and roll has ever produced.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...fae_story.html
Long ago, I remember Mac Davis on a talk show quipping that Bob Dylan was the only singer who could make any two words rhyme. I guess that gives you a bit more freedom with the lyrics.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:59 PM   #37
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Uh, 42.

Someone had to say it.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:03 PM   #38
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Uh, 42.

Someone had to say it.
No, No, The Answer my Friend is Blowin' in the Wind, the Answer is Blowin' in the Wind.

and it's A Mighty Wind.

BTW I love how this selection is stirring up the Literary Ants.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:06 PM   #39
Krazykiwi
Zealot
Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many random androids to list
I wrote this elsewhere, but I may as well post it here too.

Interesting and out of the box choice, but I have to agree with the Nobel Committee bringing up the rich tradition of poetry being an oral (and aural) art from antiquity. We no longer listen to Homer and Sappho and hear Beowulf sung to us, but we still read them.

It's a choice that must have been helped along by the equally rich Swedish (or actually, Nordic) history of having a very blurred line between what is a song and what is a poem. From the Viking-era skalds, the poetic sagas like the Eddas, through post-Viking royal chroniclers who kept records of the early Swedish Kings in poetic form through the 11th to 13th centuries,Bellman in the 1700's (often set to music right through the current day), all the way to artists such as Cornelis Vreeswijk, more or less a contemporary of Dylan's, or Lars Winnberbäck producing bitter and barbed social commentary in poetry-masquerading-as-pop-song. Or from another tack, pop band Mando Diao having a monster summer hit in Sweden a couple of years ago by setting a 100 year old poem by beloved Swedish Poet Gustav Fröding to music.

So yeah, a surprising and unexpected choice, but a very very Swedish one.

(I would provide you YouTube links for all the above, but... they're all in Swedish)

Last edited by Krazykiwi; 10-13-2016 at 01:07 PM. Reason: formatting
Krazykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:11 PM   #40
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
By far one of my favorites!!

Just found this from BBC with lots of examples of his words. It clearly shows why he is deserving of this award!

"How many roads must a man walk down
Before you call him a man?
Yes, 'n' how many seas must a white dove sail
Before she sleeps in the sand?
Yes, 'n' how many times must the cannonballs fly
Before they're forever banned?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind
BLOWIN' IN THE WIND, 1962
..."

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37646293
One of my favs, just as long as Peter, Paul and Mary are singing it. Dylan is a brilliant poet, but a lousy singer. With the exception of a few songs, his material is best sung by other artists.

My favorite Dylan sung song is:

Positively 4th Street

Quote:
You've got a lotta nerve to say you are my friend
When I was down you just stood there grinnin'
You've got a lotta nerve to say you got a helping hand to lend
You just want to be on the side that's winnin'

You say I let you down, ya know its not like that
If you're so hurt, why then don't you show it?
You say you've lost your faith, but that's not where its at
You have no faith to lose, and ya know it

And my favorite cover of a Dylan song is by Jimi Hendrix:

All Along the Watchtower

Quote:
There must be some kind of way outta here
Said the joker to the thief
There's too much confusion
I can't get no relief

Business men, they drink my wine
Plowman dig my earth
None were level on the mind
Nobody up at his word
Hey, hey
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:13 PM   #41
kennyc

I loved the Battlestar Galactica usage of that last one. Brilliant move by the writers!
Old 10-13-2016, 01:20 PM   #42
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Dylan is a brilliant poet, but a lousy singer. With the exception of a few songs, his material is best sung by other artists.
OMG, thank you! I was starting to think it was just me who felt that way.

Quote:
I loved the Battlestar Galactica usage of that last one. Brilliant move by the writers!
I enjoyed that, too, but I still don't understand it.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:22 PM   #43
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I have to say I am some what surprised that the award went to a musician like Dylan. Has a wall been breached here though? I'd suggest not. I've been working for a few years now on a long term project of of reading at least one work by every winner for the Nobel Prize for Literature since such awards begin in 1901. There have been in my opinion some very questionable choices made in the selection of people who received the award. Certainly at times much more so than Bob Dylan.

Here's a case in point. Because of an article on another subject I was justreminded of the winner for the year 1909, Selma Ottilia Lovisa Lagerlöf. One of her most notable works, The Wonderful Adventures of Nils (the book I read), was really just a children's story, and really not a very notable one. Just to put that into perspective some other living authors that could have been considered for the 1909 prize include Mark Twain [Samuel Clemens] and Leo Tolstoy.

My opinion based on the 60 Nobel winning authors I've managed to read at least one work by (generally choosing one that is considered one of the author's important words) is that the quality of winners in terms of literary merit has always been a mixed bag. So anyway Dylan is the 2016 prize winner. Makes it easy for me to cross his name off as read. I'll even listen to my Bringing It All Back Home CD this afternoon to confirm.

BTW my two favorite Dylan songs would be Subterranean Homesick Blues and Like a Rolling Stone.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #44
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Visions of Johanna, certainly close to the top of the heap, musically as well as lyrically:

Quote:
Ain't it just like the night to play tricks when
you're tryin' to be so quiet?
We sit here stranded, though we're all doin' our best to deny it
And Louise holds a handful of rain, temptin' you to defy it
Lights flicker from the opposite loft
In this room the heat pipes just cough
The country music station plays soft
But there's nothing, really nothing to turn off
Just Louise and her lover so entwined
And these visions of Johanna that conquer my mind
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:25 PM   #45
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
My favourite lyrics are from I Want You.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote