Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #31
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Red face Hmmmph.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
"Only been out a few days..." Post 2 in thread concerned a purchase in November 2010... pretty long few days???

carpetmojo, it's a necro-thread revival!

ITS ALL UNDERDUNNE'S FAULT !

WHY can't some people LOOK at the DATES of posts they're answering, 'stead of deliberately misleading others, and making them fall into this obviously deliberate trap.

I think it's a disgrace.

Got a good mind to....well, ... to, to, to, yes, do something about this situation.

Obviously, the Moderators should be alerted - and that's just to start !
P'raps the Commission for Commission for Human Rites should be involved ?

Never heard anything like it...... what is this Forum coming to - it wasn't like this in the old days, you know.....................

Last edited by carpetmojo; 06-04-2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Discomposition.....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:18 AM   #32
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Exclamation Reviving old Binatone 2282 (Readme Daily)

SEVEN Years later:

Anyone any thoughts on Font issue?
These are now about £10 on eBay. So I got one to loan books I write to potential beta readers (Kobo & Kindle need an account!).
Converting using Calibre which thinks it's a PocketBook.
1) Default font on all books is MS YahEi (looks terrible), but before Format + Defaults it was courier.
2) ePubs are stuck in bold blocky MS YaHei, no matter what font I use in LibreOffice. Though some from Gutenberg are OK. Before format it was stuck on Courier. Only some have covers. All interior images OK.
3) FB2 format has no page breaks. Font can be changed from default YaHei
4) Mobi Format has no images, does have page breaks, but headings are all body font unless bold. Default Yahei can be changed.

It's 2010 firmware. Anyone got newer firmware?
Is there some default font setting I'm missing?
Why are Gutenberg ePubs very very wide margins, but allow font change, yet Calibre ePubs or Smashword ePubs OK on margins but stuck on horrible YaHei font face? Size can be changed.

Otherwise not bad for an old LCD no-touch eReader. A cheap Android tablet is much trickier for inexperienced and would be nearly x3 as much.
Sad you can't use a new Kobo or Kindle AT ALL without an account, though it might be possible to register a Kobo ON the device without a Credit card on the new Kobo account. However a new eInk reader is about x2 price of cheap tablet.
Younger children or older people might not have anything that takes an eReader App. My mum certainly won't read a book on her smart phone.

A couple of paper proofs is more than an old ereader/tablet off eBay.
I've about 21 novels, that would cost maybe twice a decent new PaperWhite to proof and more to self print!

I'm looking at S/H Sony PRS350 and PRS550, seem to be a better idea to loan?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2018, 10:29 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Chances are that a 350 and a 650 would need a battery replacement. I know my 650 needs a new battery. If I still used it I would get one.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:00 PM   #34
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, though it's not impossibly hard to replace a battery if you have experience. It doesn't have to be absolutely identical, just same interface, chemistry, within 20% same capacity and actually fit.

I need to replace my Kindle DXG lithium cell soon. At least I figured how to open it!

I found that if the ePubs are put in the "Digital Editions" folder the fonts do not need set (and can't be! Zoom replaces fonts on menu). Outline replaces Style on Menu and the epub TOC can then be browsed. All my non-paper documents I generate are left justified (which allows Kindle & Kobo to chose Full or Left). So in the "Digital Editions" folder they are left justified. In My Books or any other folder by default style has 1.4 LS and Full. 1.4 is too wide.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:17 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can you explain in English what's happening if you put your ePub in your Digital Editions directory?
Advert
Old 02-27-2018, 03:44 PM   #36
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

If the ePub (created by Calibre, no DRM) is put:
1)In "Digital Editions": It has Table of Contents via Menu (like a PDF menu). Zoom changes font size. Fonts are sensibly used. Esp, body font. No Font or Style in Menu. All Covers and Images work. Justification & Line spacing is according to original document, (left) and can't be changed. So I'll use a fully justified source. This is nearly fine.

2)If in "My Books" the Menu offers Fonts & Styles, but body font face is locked to YaHei. Size changes. Only some books have covers. Internal images work. Linespacing & Justification settings work. No TOC
3) Any place other than My Books or Digital, the fontface is locked to Courier instead, otherwise like (2). No TOC

As there is no cursor, links in books or contents don't work! Links work even on my old Keyboard no touch Kindle DXG. You can do a Plot Your Own Adventure book in Mobi or ePub format using links. There is even a no go past this page tag by page turning.

If Mobi is used in My Books:
No covers or images at all. Headings are same size as body. Default is Courier & 1.4 LS, but you can change it to DejaVu Serif, and any size / spacing.

If Mobi is used in arbitrary folder:
No covers or images at all. Headings are same size as body. Default is MS YaHei face & 1.4 LS, but you can change it to DejaVu Serif, and any size / spacing.

FB2 Format behaves like Mobi, except header size preserved, but no page breaks.

Conclusion: Useable if ePub books are put in "Digital Editions" and source has justification & line spacing desired.

Deadly uselessly slow for image based PDFs (scans).

Unlike Kobo Aura H20 HD /Kindle PaperWhite, zero annotation. Kobo is best for proofing as annotations have highlighted context and per book when imported back via Calibre.

Calibre doesn't detect it as a Binatone, (which it has), but variously Pocketbook-> The Book -> LibreAir as you disable. I used the USB IDs in the Calibre User Device Plugin, which works to detect what is already in the "Digital Editions" folder. However it "sends" fresh books to udisk fake "root" instead of the "Digital Editions" folder. Even when that's entered in the plugin config, maybe it wants /Digital Editions/ or "Digital Editions"?

Last edited by Quoth; 02-27-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:48 PM   #37
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Maybe mods can change title to Ancient Binatone etc.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:22 PM   #38
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Further testing reveals that if the ePub is anywhere other than in "Digital Editions" folder, the body font face is locked to Courier or YaHei. Other elements may be in other pre-installed fonts.

If the WP source is created fully justified and Calibre set to embed fonts, then the embedded fonts and fully justified work, but only in "Digital Editions" folder.

Still can't persuade Calibre to save in that folder. The Binatone built in Help suggests putting Calibre ePubs ONLY on the SDCard (not using USB!). Except that results in epubs where body text is locked to Courier Face, no matter what menu alleges.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:16 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

So this is an issue with this cheap tablet and not ADE. Go it.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:34 AM   #40
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So this is an issue with this cheap tablet and not ADE. Go it.
Yes. Loading ePubs to "Digital Editions" folder that use fully justified source and embedded fonts seems good.
~
I suspect the "Digital Editions" folder uses an Adobe supplied ePub eReader and any other location uses someone else's half baked eReader.

I've setup a folder with copy of the Binatone Udisk files on my laptop and I'll use Calibre with Save To Disk with that. I can use Calibre to see what is loaded on the Binatone and delete it, but "Send To Device" puts files at the top level of fake root, which is no use.

Though LCD and no touch, it's fine indoors for a more casual reader.

Thanks for your interest.

I think I'll give this eReader to one of my younger grandchildren and maintain books on it for him. The short battery life (3 or 4 hrs?) won't be a problem at home. I'll get some Sony PRSx50 eReaders for "beta" readers. I can replace batteries or also loan a power bank. They are cheap in Pennys/Primark.

Do the PRS touch models (350 and larger) have annotation readable to laptop?
Old 02-28-2018, 05:48 AM   #41
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Chances are that a 350 and a 650 would need a battery replacement. I know my 650 needs a new battery. If I still used it I would get one.
None of the used Sony Readers I've bought have needed batteries (and I've got too many now) so, from my point of view, chances are slim that these batteries would need to be replaced. But even if they did need replaced, the 350/650 batteries (both use the same) are plentiful and relatively cheap.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:50 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If you are in the US, keep an eye at woot.com. Sometimes you can find a cheap Kindle there. Also, there are cheap Readers at one of the online charities (sometimes0. Though I forget which one. It's been posted around MR.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:43 AM   #43
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
If you are in the US, ... cheap Kindle...
Not since 1980s!
I've mostly lived in Ireland and live in Ireland now.

Older Kindles need an account or you can't create collections.
Older Kindles like DXG need an account if firmware at current version.
Newer Kindles & Kobos can't be used AT ALL, without signing in first to Amazon or Kobo. There ought to be a law against that, maybe there is in the EU.

Thanks for making effort for suggestions.

I'll see can a Kindle account with no credit card be made. I have done it twice for Kobo readers, but only if account is created on the reader, not possible on the website.
Newer versions of Android seem to need a Google account, or at least a gmail account, but not yet a credit card.
The Android TV is actually abusive (and illegal in EU). Almost every "smart" TV here has it. You can't even tune without agreeing Google T&C and all use info (inc HDMI connected player titles) is sent to Google.

We seem to have already reached a privacy apocalypse on gadgets. Kindles & Adobe ePubs try to report all your reading activity. It's on by default on Kobo. So I only use USB transfer, never WiFi or 3G, those disabled. Kindle App on phone tries to contact Amazon even when not "started" and data is disabled, thus error messages appear.
So at least paper books and USB only gadgets are still private.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:45 AM   #44
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Newer Kobos can't be used AT ALL, without signing in first to Kobo.
When did the sqlite trick stop working for Kobos?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:18 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
When did the sqlite trick stop working for Kobos?
It didn't. But, the easier way to do it is to create a dummy account with a temporary email address,