Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Facebook?
I am a member 48 43.64%
I am not a member 33 30.00%
I would not go there to enter a contest, and I ignore any contest that sends me there. 49 44.55%
I would go there to enter a contest, or help someone meet their goal. 3 2.73%
It depends on the prize. 3 2.73%
I am more likely to buy something to win something, than to go to Facebook and enter for free. 12 10.91%
I think Facebook is a great social networking site and I love it! 10 9.09%
I think its a timewasting, brain draining site, and I hate it. 49 44.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Facebook.....Yea or Nay?

I know how I feel about "Facebook" contest entries.

I'm wondering how others feel about Facebook period.

As always, posts clarifying your position are welcomed.

Mulitple choice, and votes are confidential.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I'm assuming you took your own poll. It looks like we feel exactly the same way. My family tries to get me to join, but I refuse. Too many horror stories that I've heard. I also do not want to be 'found' by ex classmates.

I have enough time wasters in my life (like this site) to join Facebook. I can read a book, and do, instead of getting on FB.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
I'm assuming you took your own poll. It looks like we feel exactly the same way. My family tries to get me to join, but I refuse. Too many horror stories that I've heard. I also do not want to be 'found' by ex classmates.

I have enough time wasters in my life (like this site) to join Facebook. I can read a book, and do, instead of getting on FB.
Yes, I took the poll.

I joined facebook at the behest of my daughter, and closed the account one week later.
with her.

I could not believe the people who wanted to 'befriend' me, that I didn't know!

I figure if people want to contact me, they can come here.......
Old 11-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Not a member, don't wanna be one, but will check for people I may know every so often.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
None of the above, I understand the technology behind it and I can see the appeal, I am rather nutral.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Don't know if it's allowed but I gave multiple answers. As mrscoach knows, and has been very sympathetic to my plight, I am very conflicted about the whole Facebook thing.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
None of the above, I understand the technology behind it and I can see the appeal, I am rather nutral.
So........."I am not a member" didn't apply?
Old 11-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I am a member. I enjoy it, for the most part. I "hide" all games and most applications, and use it for keeping in touch with family, and friends both old and new. I have about 50 cozy mystery authors on my friends list, and those contacts have been invaluable to me about keeping up with new releases, etc. Some of those authors I am now proud to count as genuine friends. I've met new people that are now good friends via author comment threads as well.
It's a very easy way to get pictures from family that is far away, and to make plans with people that I don't see often. I would have to spend hours on the phone to get the same results I can get in a ten minute Facebook session.
To be honest, I don't see the fuss. Be careful about who you add. Lock down your profile so not every Tom, Dick, and Harry can add you. Don't air your dirty laundry. Block apps and games. Common sense stuff like that can make Facebook a nice addition.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I am a member simply because an old high school friend DID track me down through my folks and told me I was impossible to find (that was kind of the idea anyway). all I have is my email address. no story, no history, no pictures. folks can contact me then we can do everything else via email or texting
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #10
Musette
Enthusiast
Musette is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Musette is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Musette is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Musette is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Musette is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Musette is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Musette is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Musette is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Musette is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Musette is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Musette is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I used to be a member but I deactivated my profile months ago. The only reason I signed up was due to co-workers screaming "try it out" and I got sucked into Bejeweled .

After a very short while I simply got tired of everything about it: status updates that slip into TMI City, all those invitations, people adding me all over the place when I thought I had my security locked down. Now, I realize my complaints could have been taken care of with a few setting tweaks, but what it really boils down to is I'm not a social person - online or off. I'm just not interested.
Musette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #11
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I joined facebook at the behest of my daughter, and closed the account one week later.
with her.
How'd you do that? Facebook, like Google and Amazon NEVER forgets you! Even if it says it does.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musette View Post
I used to be a member but I deactivated my profile months ago. The only reason I signed up was due to co-workers screaming "try it out" and I got sucked into Bejeweled .

After a very short while I simply got tired of everything about it: status updates that slip into TMI City, all those invitations, people adding me all over the place when I thought I had my security locked down. Now, I realize my complaints could have been taken care of with a few setting tweaks, but what it really boils down to is I'm not a social person - online or off. I'm just not interested.
I understand "bejeweled" is just like the game I'm hooked on at the "fantage" site. Opened an account for the 7 yr old granddaughter, and now I can't get enough of the stupid game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
How'd you do that? Facebook, like Google and Amazon NEVER forgets you! Even if it says it does.
Okay........I "de-activated" then. I just know I'm not going back......by now its probably developed a life of its own....
Old 11-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #13
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
I tried it a couple of years ago, and hated it.

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #14
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
I joined it to re-contact old friends. I turn off all games/applications, have no information posted regarding myself, rarely (if ever) post a status change and have invoked all privacy settings possible. I purely use it to send messages, use their chat function, and find out what's going on in my more vocal friends' lives.
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:35 PM   #15
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Actually I am a member.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote