Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-15-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
Kleki
Connoisseur
Kleki doesn't litterKleki doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (+ an old Hanlin V3)
ebook novice: 505, Cybook or Bebook?

Hi everyone,

I am about to buy my first ebook-reader. I had nearly ordered the Sony 505 when it came out here in Germany last week. But short of doing so I stumbled across this forum and a couple of other devices. Well now, being totally unexperianced with reading devices beyond my laptop I have no clue which one to buy. I hope to get some thoughts from you folks here.

After some reading I narrowed my choice down to the Sony 505, the Cybook and the BeBook (Hanlin) with a slight tendency to the latter two. These were my thoughts so far:

1) The only regular reading on my laptop so far is an html magazine (mostly text). So it would be a good start when the device could support that natively. Will hyperlinks work on those devices?

2) Besides that magazine I expect to mostly read fiction. Around one half will be German books (my native language) and one half English language books with the occasional Swedish one inbetween. Figuring that Mobipocket is the predominant format for Entlish and epub nowadays for German it would probably be a good idea if the device would support both. I guess that speaks for Cybook or Bebook. Not sure about DRM, though. If they only support one DRM format I'll be stuck again. Or can you easily convert DRMed books?

3) What about dictionary lookup? I understand it is only possible to use mobipocket dictionaries and to only lookup from within mobipocket files. Is that correct? Is Cybook the only one capable of that? Could you somehow search directly in the dictionary without selecting a word from your current reding?

4) Somewhat related to the previous question. Can I search full text within a normal novel with any of the devices?

5) How is the support of these companies? Any to prefer in respect to regular firmware updates?

6) How is the usability? Sony and Bebook seem to have more buttons. Is that an advantage?

I hope I can get some clues to finally make a choice.

Thanks,
Tobias
Kleki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Internal links should work on most devices, I think

Currently, it's only Sony that supports ePub, but it doesn't support Mobi.

I understand that technically, it's possible to remove DRM from Mobi, Lit & ePub but not from LRX (the other Sony-supported DRM format). Legally, it depends on your location.

If dictionary, then CyBook. Don't know about searching but not on the Sony 505, anyway.

Sony only had 1 update, but that added ePub & PDF reflowing - No specific issues that need fixing, though. Personally, the Sony's the best 'feel' & the multiple buttons are useful, but do you need ePub (Sony) or a dictionary (Cybook)?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 02:19 AM   #3
sigma8
Zealot
sigma8 doesn't littersigma8 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'd try to get my hands on them, and let all your senses participate in the decision. The devices each have some unique pros and cons, but in terms of big-picture items they're very similar.

IMO, trying to decide based on the specs is a wash, unless you have specific needs.

For example, if you're learning English, you might really benefit from the Cybook's dictionary feature.

I will say that I really do like the solid, metal "feel" and the many buttons on the 505. I use those buttons whenever I can to select something directly, since the speed of navigating through items in a list is limited by the slow refresh rate of the e-Ink display. Heck, for casual reading, I'd prefer the 505's buttons over the 700's touch-sensitive controls. I'd rather use a conveniently placed button to flip pages than do a gesture-based swipe. The 505 is easier to use with one hand than the 700.
sigma8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:18 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Internal links should work on most devices, I think
Hyperlinks in HTML files do NOT work on the CyBook. On the other hand, the CyBook has the best Mobi support of any device.

Quote:
Currently, it's only Sony that supports ePub, but it doesn't support Mobi.
The CyBook is due to get ePub support in the next few weeks, but we'll have to wait and see if it actually shows up.

The Sony is undoubtedly the best engineered device, but I think personally that the CyBook has the best software.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:25 AM   #5
Kleki
Connoisseur

Hi,
thanks for those answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma8 View Post
I'd try to get my hands on them, and let all your senses participate in the decision. The devices each have some unique pros and cons, but in terms of big-picture items they're very similar.
I'd love to but the only one I could get a hold on at the moment is the Sony. So I have to try to make up my mind here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma8 View Post
I will say that I really do like the solid, metal "feel" and the many buttons on the 505. I use those buttons whenever I can to select something directly, since the speed of navigating through items in a list is limited by the slow refresh rate of the e-Ink display.
Are the buttons of the BeBook as handy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Don't know about searching but not on the Sony 505, anyway.
Strange. I had alway thought that full text search would be one of those main advantages of the digital copy over the printed book. Does any device have that?
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 06:29 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Sony PRS-700 has search, but it also has some significant "issues".
Old 03-16-2009, 06:34 AM   #7
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hyperlinks in HTML files do NOT work on the CyBook. On the other hand, the CyBook has the best Mobi support of any device.
I don't use html files in my Cybook, but I had the idea that it supports internal hyperlinks (like the ones of a table of contents)... Or maybe that's because I usually convert to mobi first.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:38 AM   #8
iterati
Zealot
iterati doesn't litteriterati doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, RCA REB1100, iPaq 214
The Hanlin/lbook/Bebook/EZReader/etc supports ePub since 2007.

I want larger buttons for page navigation (it looks like the upcoming model'd fulfill that request).

Search, dictionary and many other features wull be added shortly (for fb2, html, rtf, epub, txt). Check the beta lbook firmware https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41712

Quote:
* Dictionary (either T9-like of virtual keyboard)
* Search
* Citation storing
* New customizable interface
* Customizable keys
* changes in TOC
* next/prev chapter
iterati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:45 AM   #9
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleki View Post

2) Besides that magazine I expect to mostly read fiction. Around one half will be German books (my native language) and one half English language books with the occasional Swedish one inbetween. Figuring that Mobipocket is the predominant format for Entlish and epub nowadays for German it would probably be a good idea if the device would support both. I guess that speaks for Cybook or Bebook. Not sure about DRM, though. If they only support one DRM format I'll be stuck again. Or can you easily convert DRMed books?

The ePub format support will be added to the Cybook in the next firmware update. I would wait a couple of weeks before making a decision (as Bookeen is usually very silent with their customers about future updates. And it's been a while since the last one (although new hardware comes with a newer firmware, that wasn't released to the olders customers yet).

Anyway, Mobipocket support is very good on the Cybook. When it supports ePub, it might be your correct choice. However, wait for the firmware release.

Quote:
3) What about dictionary lookup? I understand it is only possible to use mobipocket dictionaries and to only lookup from within mobipocket files. Is that correct? Is Cybook the only one capable of that? Could you somehow search directly in the dictionary without selecting a word from your current reding?
Yes, you can read the dictionary ebook.

Quote:
4) Somewhat related to the previous question. Can I search full text within a normal novel with any of the devices?
I don't know about the other formats, but with the Cybook you can't.

Quote:
5) How is the support of these companies? Any to prefer in respect to regular firmware updates?
Bookeen (Cybook) is not very open or regular with their firmware updates or to listen their clients' suggestions. Just check out the numerous threads in this forum.

It has scheduled a firware update in this 1st quarter, that will ass PDF reflow and ePub support. Of course, we still don't know anything about a better library management (directories/folders, etc), zip support, page count, etc, that are constantly requested by the customers.

Quote:
6) How is the usability? Sony and Bebook seem to have more buttons. Is that an advantage?
As far as I know, no advantage at all. Of course, if one day a search geature is added, it would be nice to have a keyboard like the Kindle 2...
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:42 AM   #10
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Are the buttons of the BeBook as handy? [as the Sony]
I can't speak for the Sony, but I've had a Cybook, and have just gotten a Bebook. I think it's definitely nicer to have direct access to functions via buttons instead of having to step through a menu.

I never got comfortable with the page turn button on the Cybook - IMO it's placed so that you can't comfortably rest your thumb there. The Bebook is better in that respect, with two options. FWIW, I'm a woman with largish hands - I guess the Cybook might fit better for a man with large hands.

I think the Cybook supports mobi very well, but any other format not very well. It might change with the new firmware.
The Bebook supports a wider range of formats, but overall the support is more 'adequate' than 'good'.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:01 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I don't use html files in my Cybook, but I had the idea that it supports internal hyperlinks (like the ones of a table of contents)... Or maybe that's because I usually convert to mobi first.
Doesn't support them in HTML. As you say, they work fine when converted to Mobi.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:03 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I never got comfortable with the page turn button on the Cybook - IMO it's placed so that you can't comfortably rest your thumb there. The Bebook is better in that respect, with two options. FWIW, I'm a woman with largish hands - I guess the Cybook might fit better for a man with large hands.
The buttons work fine for me - I can comfortably use it with either hand.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:24 PM   #13
Kleki
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
The ePub format support will be added to the Cybook in the next firmware update. I would wait a couple of weeks before making a decision.
That's exactly what I would like to avoid. I'm eager to get one of those gadgets into my hand and start reading.

After reading all this I see that all have there pros and cons. I'm inclined to buy the Bebook, though. Hmmm. I think I'll have a peak at openinkpot, too, first. Somehow I like the idea of open firmware.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:16 AM   #14
Kleki
Connoisseur

I have ordered the Pixelar (Hanlin V3) now. Should arrive here tomorrow or the day after.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll be back with more questions once I got the device working.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:58 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
That's exactly what I would like to avoid. I'm eager to get one of those gadgets into my hand and start reading.

After reading all this I see that all have there pros and cons. I'm inclined to buy the Bebook, though. Hmmm. I think I'll have a peak at openinkpot, too, first. Somehow I like the idea of open firmware.
I should never have gone to these forums... I had made up my mind until I got here...

Bottom line, I still don't have an e-ink device

But good luck with your Pixelar!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote