Notices

Old 10-28-2021, 06:12 PM   #61
re4om
Enthusiast
re4om doesn't litterre4om doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DXG, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Someone on Reddit says the new PW has darker text than the oasis (unclear which Oasis they meant). That sounds promising. Could we have a voyage successor finally?
For me kobo libra2 with e ink carta 1200 screen is best alternative to voyage. There are some comparison photos in thread "kobo sage opinion". Nathan (blog.the-ebook-reader.com) and Almamida mention that libra2 screen very close to voyage. Wait for battle PW5 vs Libra2
re4om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:24 PM   #62
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by re4om View Post
Wait for battle PW5 vs Libra2
It's already been said in more than one thread here that the PW5 is not as good as either the Libra 2 or the Voyage.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2021, 09:44 PM   #63
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
For what it's worth, I got the new paperwhite yesterday, not-signature.
The screen is the most uniform illumination I had on any Kindle, except for the Voyage - they are about on par.
But the text is a bit darker on my new PW than on the Voyage. Overall, this is my new favorite Kindle screen.

The Oasis I had, first gen Oasis, was a disaster. Most uneven screen I have ever had, on any electronic device, period. Just these cones of light/shade across the screen.

Frankly, we have many Kindle lovers in my extended family. We have often compared screens of the same model, same gen - and found huge variation, in tone, uniformity, brightness, everything.

So I wonder, when I read these conversations... it seems to me it really is all just luck of the draw. Variation is huge, quality control is a joke...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:34 PM   #64
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
another detail that is not clear is the resolution of this PW5.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:09 PM   #65
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Arggh!! I hadn't used my Voyage in a while; I like the real buttons on the Oasis #1 (un-numbered, actually). But all this talk made me pull out the Voyage. It downloaded 7-8 new books, got an update to the latest (for it) firmware, and let me read a novella and a full book. Oh, but the left side haptic buttons didn't work. Only the right side buttons.

And now it's gone wonky, required a long-press on the power button to restart it (it wouldn't restart when the prompt asked "Cancel Restart ScreenOff", though it would turn the screen off). It went through the restart, but wouldn't open when it was finished.

As I plugged it in to let it rest and recharge, before again trying to get it off the "swipe to unlock" screen ..... I noticed that the left side of the glass is high and out of its socket. I can press it down and it returns to a 1/16" high.

Can I safely let it be while I order a new battery and attempt to replace it? Or is it likely to catch fire Real Soon Now? Is it safe??

[ My nephew notice my Mom's Voyage, newer than mine, with an enlarged battery around Aug 20, and removed it and plunged it into a sand bucket for safety. It must have been more enlarged than this, I think, for him to notice it. But she hadn't shelved it for 2-3 years, like I did while using the Oasis 1 instead.)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2021, 12:50 AM   #66
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I agree that in general, adding color LED's shouldn't effect screen quality when they are turned off. But you didn't quote a post. It makes as much sense to me as your "no bezel compromised screen quality".
I meant raised bezels. Removing the raised bezel introduced another layer for capacitive touch which further compromised clarity.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 04:55 AM   #67
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
I meant raised bezels. Removing the raised bezel introduced another layer for capacitive touch which further compromised clarity.
Just like adding LEDs may effect clarity? Maybe the OP didn't fully qualify their statement: Due to adding LEDs, they needed to modify the light guide layer, which comprised clarity.

Just playing devil's advocate.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 07:00 AM   #68
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Just like adding LEDs may effect clarity? Maybe the OP didn't fully qualify their statement: Due to adding LEDs, they needed to modify the light guide layer, which comprised clarity.

Just playing devil's advocate.
I'd be very surprised if changing the colour of an LED would require any re-engineering of the screen layers but I'd be happy to be proved wrong in the interests of engineering.

Has there been any anecdotal evidence, or otherwise, that warm light functionality has reduced the clarity of e-readers?
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 07:57 AM   #69
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Arggh!! I hadn't used my Voyage in a while; I like the real buttons on the Oasis #1 (un-numbered, actually). But all this talk made me pull out the Voyage. It downloaded 7-8 new books, got an update to the latest (for it) firmware, and let me read a novella and a full book. Oh, but the left side haptic buttons didn't work. Only the right side buttons.

And now it's gone wonky, required a long-press on the power button to restart it (it wouldn't restart when the prompt asked "Cancel Restart ScreenOff", though it would turn the screen off). It went through the restart, but wouldn't open when it was finished.

As I plugged it in to let it rest and recharge, before again trying to get it off the "swipe to unlock" screen ..... I noticed that the left side of the glass is high and out of its socket. I can press it down and it returns to a 1/16" high.

Can I safely let it be while I order a new battery and attempt to replace it? Or is it likely to catch fire Real Soon Now? Is it safe??

[ My nephew notice my Mom's Voyage, newer than mine, with an enlarged battery around Aug 20, and removed it and plunged it into a sand bucket for safety. It must have been more enlarged than this, I think, for him to notice it. But she hadn't shelved it for 2-3 years, like I did while using the Oasis 1 instead.)
If you take this apart, please be CAREFUL! Wear eye goggles/face mask, adequate clothing, and gloves. If you do go that route and, after having opened it, see if the battery has leaked or if it's 'only' expanded. If acid has leaked out, I would get rid of the Voyage. But be careful!

The above is based only upon my recommendation on what I would do. Also, I have not personally experienced a swollen battery on any of my ebook readers

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-29-2021 at 08:01 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:16 AM   #70
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I'd be very surprised if changing the colour of an LED would require any re-engineering of the screen layers but I'd be happy to be proved wrong in the interests of engineering.

I thought for warm lighting, it may not be just "changing colors", but adding LEDs. For example:

https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...erature-system
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:12 AM   #71
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I have replaced my Voyage with a new Paperwhite 11th Gen device. The battery on the Voyage is deteriorating and will only hold a charge with 4 days of modest use. I don't want to change the battery. This Paperwhite is the first new Kindle I've ever bought. All my others were purchased used.

Comparing the 2 devices:

The screen is significantly larger on the PW. This, I like. I have the option of big text or cramming more little text onto the screen for fewer page turns.

I miss the buttons of the Voyage. The screen taps aren't the same thing somehow.

Display quality of the two are roughly comparable. I have no complaints, both are sharp and evenly lit. I have never used the color temp settings as I MUCH prefer reading black text on white background, or in darkened rooms, white text on black background.

In my eyes, it's just a bigger, traditional Paperwhite device. Still good value for the money, and well suited to my aging eyes. I find that long reading sessions with it is comfortable. I am content.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 11:34 AM   #72
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
In my eyes, it's just a bigger, traditional Paperwhite device. Still good value for the money, and well suited to my aging eyes. I find that long reading sessions with it is comfortable. I am content.
And that is the most important item for me. No matter what the bells and whistles, if you can't read comfortably on an ereader, it's not worth buying.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 01:16 PM   #73
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
I'm reasonably sure it does. AIUI, the light guide is an intricate piece of etching which uses diffraction to spread the light out -- and, as such, it depends on the frequency of the light it's guiding.

I'm fairly amazed they managed to come up with a light guide design that works *at all* when the colour changes, let alone working as well as it does. (Perhaps the frequency-dependence isn't as delicate as I thought it was.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 01:22 PM   #74
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
I'm reasonably sure it does. AIUI, the light guide is an intricate piece of etching which uses diffraction to spread the light out -- and, as such, it depends on the frequency of the light it's guiding.

I'm fairly amazed they managed to come up with a light guide design that works *at all* when the colour changes, let alone working as well as it does. (Perhaps the frequency-dependence isn't as delicate as I thought it was.)
Any light guide that works for "white" light should work for any subset of "white" light. which, after all, is a mixture of discrete colors.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 06:34 PM   #75
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
It is when comparing PW vs. Voyage. You just made my point... the PW outsells the more expensive Oasis.
Not at all. Your point is only made when you set the parameters in such a way that favors your outcome. And even then, you aren't looking at the big picture.

Following your logic: The average consumer will only buy a device when the screen is somewhat fuzzy. I'm saying that when comparing the Voyage to the Oasis. People obviously did not like the sharp Voyage screen. That is why the Voyage did not get a follow-up and the Oasis did.

Or we could just be honest and say that the features are on factor in an average consumer's decision, but then there are other factors as well. The Paperwhite hits the feature to cost ratio that makes most purchasers happy.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote