Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-13-2018, 11:26 AM   #1
Branch Delay
Connoisseur
Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
RGB Leds

Hi All,

Ordered a Kobo Clara HD as I really like idea idea of Comfort Light Pro. (Placebo? Probably.)

A few reviews mention that Kobo is using RGB leds to get this effect. If that is the case, it seems like it should be rather easy to modify the LED driver to change the color of the screen to any RGB combination.

As this has not been done yet, my guess is that they're actually using orange and white leds and just mixing the color.

Has anyone else looked into this and found it to be impossible (i.e. they aren't true RGB leds, all four pins aren't hooked up etc.) before I waste time reverse engineering the driver?

I haven't worked with a Kobo before, so anything else I'm missing? I'm assuming I can easily root this thing and login via ssh for development.

Cheers.
Branch Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:51 PM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Hi and welcome to Kobo's world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branch Delay View Post
my guess is that they're actually using orange and white leds and just mixing the color. Has anyone else looked into this and found it to be impossible (i.e. they aren't true RGB leds, all four pins aren't hooked up etc.) before I waste time reverse engineering the driver?
You're right, there are white and orange leds. You can change the brightness of both or change the brightness of white leds and use a mixer interface to set the colour mix. You can't change the colour of the leds themselves, they're not RGB. You can check that looking at the device, you'll see at the bezel that leds are placed: white - orange - white -orange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branch Delay View Post
I haven't worked with a Kobo before, so anything else I'm missing? I'm assuming I can easily root this thing and login via ssh for development.
Sure, You won't have any problem with this. Even old instructions work fine today, but you'll probably want a modern package

BTW: Older devices, like the Kobo Aura One have green/red leds and you can experiment more with them. The attached image doesn't look exactly like the device itself, but you'll get the idea.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181213_185611940.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	168319  

Last edited by pazos; 12-13-2018 at 01:03 PM.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #3
Branch Delay
Connoisseur
Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Super! Thank you for saving time on that. RGB sure would have been cool, but then again I don't really need a screen that is anything other than orange/white.
Branch Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:49 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@Branch Delay,

You might like to search this Kobo Developer's forum for threads started by NiLuJe. He's posted lot's of developer tools ported over from his Kindle work.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:19 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I won't be much help on the LED front, though, never had a device with any iteration of that feature, but @pazos probably covered that .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert