Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-30-2021, 10:32 PM   #76
enlightened_j
enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis, Xiami InkPalm 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowe View Post
So then I went through steps 1-3 on here
The github page is a must read for any InkPalm5 owner. It would have save me countless google searches.
enlightened_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:12 AM   #77
positively4th
Enthusiast
positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis, Xiaomi Inkpad X, Xiaomi Inkpalm 5
Mine just came today, haven’t opened it yet… curious if anyone has tried the included screen protector. Wondering if it changes the glossy screen to matte at all.

Edit: I can report back that it’s definitely a matte screen protector (isn’t obvious until you peel the outer layer off), but unfortunately I totally botched the installation on mine. Thought I was peeling the outer layer off and the whole thing came off. I was thinking “wow, I really installed it perfectly!” And then picked the outer layer out of the garbage just to check… nope. Botched it… nice matte finish to it too. Wonder if they have replacements anywhere.

Last edited by positively4th; 05-03-2021 at 03:23 PM.
positively4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:53 PM   #78
positively4th
Enthusiast
positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got mine setup. Beautiful little device. The instructions on that GitHub helped immensely but were not -exact- for what you need to do on this device, but it was not difficult to follow and adjust based on what I was seeing. I actually thought I did it wrong as I had selected English, restarted the device, and it came back up and 99% of everything was still Chinese. But, after doing that setup, English works in apps and is visible in very select parts of the interface.

A few observations:
- before changing the language to English, if I used the web browser to visit google and search, it routed me to Baidu. The built in browser seems to route you to Chinese language versions of sites by default or something… not sure. I need to install a different browser. Opera from the amazon App Store seems to work well enough
- this is a really beautiful little device
- the default keyboard is really annoying and frustrating to use. I don’t know what the buttons mean but there’s one to the right of the period and left of search/go that seems to make the keyboard function normally. This device would likely be much improved with a different keyboard installed. Not to mention the included keyboard has some crazy creepy pop up during setup that tells you it needs internet access at all times.
- the light is about as good as I’ve seen on any eink reader. Maybe just a smidge brighter at the bottom, but nice and uniform throughout and not a bother at all.
- it’s very light, my phone with a case is 9.1 ounces, this is 4.1 ounces. It throws me off a little to have a phone shaped device that doesn’t feel like a phone because it’s so light. Not a bad thing. I think the light weight and plastic shell gives me the impression that this thing can’t withstand a beating, but I am not sure
- the plastic shell doesn’t feel luxurious but looks nice, especially like the back of it being plain and not having all the regulatory junk printed on it like many devices from USA
- the screen is glossy. It doesn’t bother me. It comes with a matte screen protector that I failed to install properly and threw out. I wish I had another to try but such is life.
- google translate app on a nearby smartphone is your friend. Switch to the camera mode and point it at the screen for this so you can see what is what while you’re getting it setup
- double tapping the moaan logo below the screen seems to function as “back”. Triple tap seems to take you back home. I haven’t quite figured that all out but I think that’s how it works.
- I wish it came with a case, or that there was one designed for it. If one exists I’d love to be pointed towards it but I haven’t found it. I’ll probably just get a generic neoprene sleeve for a phone and make it work but would be nice to have one like a book cover.
- sticking with the default launcher/interface (may change it later) for the moment, it doesn’t let you remove all the included apps. There are 7 you can’t get rid of and I don’t see a way to reorganize them. That leaves space on the main screen for 5 others if you remove the rest, and you can have multiple pages of apps if you choose.

Overall a couple quirks to work through to get it setup, but very happy with it overall. I would not recommend this to someone who is not tech savvy but the difficulty in setting it up is not bad. After the setup and installing a couple apps, ditching the creepy keyboard and built in apps for browser etc, this is the pocket kindle I’ve always wanted.

Last edited by positively4th; 05-03-2021 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:37 AM   #79
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Thanks for the review! Sounds like the portable device I've been waiting for.
Why don't you get a strap like this one (with a metal buckle for adjusting) to hold it? I used to have such a strap on my first couple of smartphones, before they started to have a full-screen display.
Sorry about your screen protector. I guess it was cheaper for Xiaomi to include one instead of making the glass itself matte. I'm sure you can get one with similar dimensions.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:56 PM   #80
enlightened_j
enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis, Xiami InkPalm 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by positively4th View Post
There are 7 you can’t get rid of and I don’t see a way to reorganize them.
You can use adb to remove apps shipped with the device. I have removed all but thee browser, app store, mail, file manager, and setting. The trick is to figure out which package is which. Btw, Sogou is the input app name. Almost all other Chinese sounding packages are bookstore apps.

This link seems to have a pretty decent list of bloatwares:

https://www.droidwin.com/remove-unin...-adb-commands/
enlightened_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:48 AM   #81
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hi Reader Pro, Page, Tab Ultra C, Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour

I've changed the launcher to https://www.apkhere.com/app/cn.modificator.launcher - lets you hide the apps you can't delete (and lose some of the other unused elements on the stock home screen).

I've also finished a few books on it, loving how light the Inkpalm is and the low-level warm light is great for reading in the dark.

Last edited by rowe; 05-06-2021 at 09:53 AM.
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:45 PM   #82
positively4th
Enthusiast

Few days in, only dislike on it is I actually find it a little hard to hold when I’m laying down. It’s so thin, the bezels are small so if you aren’t careful you will touch the screen, and the bottom part of it the logo is a touch sensitive back button. When I’m sitting up or standing it’s fine though. Really wish there was a book style case made for it so there was something more to hold on to. A pop socket or something would likely do the trick but I don’t like putting those kind of things on my gadgets. Holding out hope that a case will show up for it though.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:56 PM   #83
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by positively4th View Post
Really wish there was a book style case made for it so there was something more to hold on to.
Keep checking on Aliexpress and keep checking on Cect Shop. If it proves to be a popular device for the Chinese market, eventually something will turn up.

You could also try making one. I made a papier-mâché case for my Hisense A2 Pro because I couldn't find a proper case for it that I liked. A bit of varnish once it was done to make it waterproof. Worked very well.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:56 AM   #84
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Still hoping an English Language version will turn up. I know there are instructions to get it but… I’m terrified of bricking the device so would prefer to have it ready to go.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:40 AM   #85
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hi Reader Pro, Page, Tab Ultra C, Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour
To anyone else who couldn't get the supplied screenprotector on without bubbles, I got one custom made instead at https://www.protectionfilms24.com

It cost £8.45. I chose 'Brotect matte' with the dimensions 139x72mm and a 8mm corner radius. A little smaller than the supplied one, which made it easier to fit.

After cleaning the screen, I covered (and uncovered) it with no-residue scotch tape to make sure there were no tiny dust specs before applying.

No bubbles second time around, and performance seems good (matte finish but sharpness is still pretty good).

---

It's my favourite reader, but here's my wish list in order if they ever make an improved version:
1. Micro-etched glass screen (like the Kindle Voyage had - great sharpness but matte)
2. Failing that a regular flush matte screen, or non-flush with the e-ink screen as the outer layer
3. Failing that, a factory applied matte screen protector
4. Better re-connection to Bluetooth devices after sleep (I often have to toggle Bluetooth to reconnect to my page turner)
5. Physical back button on the side instead of a capacitive one on the front (like the Hisense A5)
6. Silent page turn buttons (they're quiet, but still make a little more noise than ideal if you've got someone trying to sleep next to you)
7. Wireless charging (I don't want the weight of a bigger battery, but this would make regular charging slightly more convenient)
8. English language out of the box (I found it fairly easy to change, so low priority for me)
9. Even lighter (it's already very impressively light)
10. Even thinner

Last edited by rowe; 05-08-2021 at 02:31 PM.
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:22 PM   #86
michel24
michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle k4nt
pocket or instagram

Hey,
Did someone tried to install pocket or instapaper, and if yes does it work well ?
Thanks
michel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:45 AM   #87
jmdms
jmdms is clearly one to watchjmdms is clearly one to watchjmdms is clearly one to watchjmdms is clearly one to watchjmdms is clearly one to watchjmdms is clearly one to watchjmdms is clearly one to watchjmdms is clearly one to watchjmdms is clearly one to watchjmdms is clearly one to watchjmdms is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Forma, Inkpalm 5, Supernote A5, Kindle Oasis
Instapaper works fine.
jmdms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 01:16 AM   #88
philips
philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 505
Has anyone tried disabling trackers Xiaomi usually ships in their Android? Is there a list for these Moaan devices?

https://jilaxzone.com/2021/01/02/xia...root-required/
philips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 03:18 AM   #89
jmdms
jmdms is clearly one to watchjmdms is clearly one to watchjmdms is clearly one to watchjmdms is clearly one to watchjmdms is clearly one to watchjmdms is clearly one to watchjmdms is clearly one to watchjmdms is clearly one to watchjmdms is clearly one to watchjmdms is clearly one to watchjmdms is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Forma, Inkpalm 5, Supernote A5, Kindle Oasis
It's easy enough to get a list of installed applications with ADB. I've removed a bunch of the stock stuff without any apparent problems.
jmdms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 11:03 PM   #90
philips
philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by michel24 View Post
Hey,
Did someone tried to install pocket or instapaper, and if yes does it work well ?
Thanks
I installed Pocket via these instructions and it works fine: https://help.getpocket.com/article/1...irect-download
philips is offline   Reply With Quote