Notices

Old 04-29-2021, 11:26 AM   #1
2scre
Zealot
2scre began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Second half of my ePub file was deleted

This happened twice already:

When I was in the middle of editing my large ePub file, a message appeared that if I recall correctly said that the file is corrupted and asked me to fix the files, to which when I agreed, 2nd half of my ePub file was gone.

What could be causing this and how can I prevent it from happening again?
2scre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:01 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Which editor are you using?
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2021, 01:20 PM   #3
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2scre View Post
This happened twice already:

When I was in the middle of editing my large ePub file, a message appeared that if I recall correctly said that the file is corrupted and asked me to fix the files, to which when I agreed, 2nd half of my ePub file was gone.

What could be causing this and how can I prevent it from happening again?
If Sigil, NEVER use the automatic fix problem. Fix it for yourself or you can lose data
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:14 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrzvnrnd View Post
If Sigil, NEVER use the automatic fix problem. Fix it for yourself or you can lose data
Never use any automatic fixing function in any program without first saving.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:37 PM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bull! Ever since Sigil moved to the gumbo self-correcting parser, I have never seen actual data loss. This is not tidy that throws out code. It is the same parser engine and rules that all browsers use and has been adopted by Calibre as well as Kovid now maintains his own of the gumbo parser.
Advert
Old 05-06-2021, 11:49 AM   #6
2scre
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrzvnrnd View Post
It was Sigil.
Thanks.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:43 PM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I simply do not believe that.

Please post exactly the sequence of steps used for Sigil that caused it to "lose a half of an ebook". I have never seen Sigil's Mend lose any lines of text at all.

Furthermore, Sigil only ever works on a copy of the epub's contents. So the only way you could actually lose anything at is is if you saved a known broken copy on top of your original epub file.

What version of Sigil are you using on what platform?

What was the exact error message? What were you doing when the error message occurred?

If possible, post a test case to see if I or anyone else can recreate your "data loss".

Last edited by KevinH; 05-06-2021 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:06 PM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I sincerely hope you are not being confused by Preview showing you a message that there is broken code (line number and column) and then only rendering the page up to the point of the breakage? That is not "losing half your file". You simply need to fix the breakage in CodeView, and Preview will happily reload itself. Or allow Mend to do it for you if you can not see the mistake.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:11 PM   #9
2scre
Zealot

Quote:
So the only way you could actually lose anything at is is if you saved a known broken copy on top of your original epub file.
I think that might have been what happened.

Quote:
What version of Sigil are you using on what platform?
Mac 10.14.6

Quote:
What was the exact error message? What were you doing when the error message occurred?
I don't remember exactly, it was something like "error has occurred, do you want Sigil to fix it?" I was editing the ePub file.

Quote:
If possible, post a test case to see if I or anyone else can recreate your "data loss"
I can't because the message came up randomly. It seldom comes up (happened only twice) but each time about half the file was gone.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:46 PM   #10
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Mac 10.14.6
Wow. 0.8.1 is an exceedingly old version of Sigil (dates back to 2014!). I'm surprised it even works on macOS 10.14.6.

The current Sigil is 1.5.1.

Is there a particular reason you're using such an older version?

ETA: And I suspect the answers to your original questions are:

Q. "What could be causing this?" — Likely answer: You are using a really old version of Sigil.

Q. "How can I prevent it from happening again?" — Answer: Update to the latest Sigil 1.5.1.

Last edited by odamizu; 05-06-2021 at 11:52 PM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:31 AM   #11
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Yes, I think Sigil-0.8.1 is so old it may still use Tidy which will cut away things. That is why we moved away from Tidy and to gumbo.

If you are addicted to BookView then your best bet is Sigil-0.9.14 as itstill has that feature but also has the better/safer parser.

Otherwise, I strongly recommend Sigil 1.5.1 along with PageEdit.
Old 05-07-2021, 02:25 PM   #12
2scre
Zealot

I'm looking at this page and having a hard time finding where to download the new version.
https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil...ith-sigil-0918
Old 05-07-2021, 02:37 PM   #13
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
I'm looking at this page and having a hard time finding where to download the new version.
https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil...ith-sigil-0918
The latest version is here
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:38 PM   #14
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Look in "Releases"

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil/releases

They are all there.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:28 AM   #15
2scre
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Yes, I think Sigil-0.8.1 is so old it may still use Tidy which will cut away things. That is why we moved away from Tidy and to gumbo.

If you are addicted to BookView then your best bet is Sigil-0.9.14 as itstill has that feature but also has the better/safer parser.

Otherwise, I strongly recommend Sigil 1.5.1 along with PageEdit.
Thank you I found 0.9.14
https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil...ses/tag/0.9.14

I tried 1.5.1 but is there only codeview for it?
Why do you strongly recommend 1.5.1 ?
Why did they get rid of the BookView?