Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
gojisube
Enthusiast
gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus 7" tablet; Dead Onyx Boox C67ML
Touch Lux 2 and FBReader quesion

I have a Pocketbook 302 that I dearly love, but after several years of faithful service, it is starting to have some issues. While I have an Android tablet that I also use for reading, I really like reading on an eInk device. So, I've been looking at the Pocketbook Touch Lux 2 as a replacement.

Before jumping through the hoops to order from France, I had couple of questions. Mainly, is the version of FBReader on the Lux as customizable as the version you can install on the 302? Also, how does the screen compare between the two?

Thanks.
gojisube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:35 AM   #2
mat813
mat813 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 2, Sony PRS-T1
I've had the Touch Lux 2 for like ten days, the version of FBReader on it is pure crap, I loved the old version I had on my rooted Sony PRS-T1, it was a dream of customization. The one we have here has even less options than the Adobe Reader that comes with the Touch Lux 2.
I can't wait for a rootkit to come out for it.
mat813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat813 View Post
I've had the Touch Lux 2 for like ten days, the version of FBReader on it is pure crap, I loved the old version I had on my rooted Sony PRS-T1, it was a dream of customization. The one we have here has even less options than the Adobe Reader that comes with the Touch Lux 2.
Not much chance of that (a rootkit). They've been unrooted for years now, and it doesn't look like they ever will be.

Anyway, these aren't generic android devices or anything like that. They use InkView for the graphical user interface, and all applications have to be built against it. Unfortunately, they haven't released an application SDK in years, which means that building apps for the latest touch devices is problematic, even if you wanted to port your own version of fbreader over.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
gojisube
Enthusiast
gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well shoot. One of the great things about the 302 was how easily you could customize fbreader.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #5
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think a lot of people moved to coolreader on the Pro devices when they wanted customisability. However, I'm not sure if coolreader was ever ported properly to the touch devices. It's been a long time since I heard about any changes to coolreader for PocketBook devices. The action was entirely in the Russian forum, so it was difficult for others to follow. @pkbo used to know about that stuff, but I don't know if he has kept up to date on it. Maybe he'll read this thread and comment on it.

P.S. The screen is much better on the new devices. Contrast and resolution are both higher, and the built-in light is great for reading when the outside light is dim. I do a lot more reading in bed now that I used to with my non-lit readers. The light near the top and bottom edges of the screen shows some artifacts on my Touch Lux as compared to something like the Kobo Glo. I think I've read somewhere that they improved it on the Touch Lux 2, though.

Last edited by rkomar; 04-07-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Advert
Old 04-07-2014, 09:04 PM   #6
gojisube
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. Even with the drawbacks of not a good version of FBreader, I think I'm going to give the Touch Lux 2 a shot. We'll see how it goes.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
gojisube
Enthusiast

Got my Touch Lux 2 yesterday, and pretty quickly installed CoolReader3. I've a couple of glitches I need to sort out, but in the short time I've had it, I like using Coolreader better than the Adobe reader that is on there.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #8
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojisube View Post
I have a Pocketbook 302 that I dearly love, but after several years of faithful service, it is starting to have some issues. While I have an Android tablet that I also use for reading, I really like reading on an eInk device. So, I've been looking at the Pocketbook Touch Lux 2 as a replacement.

Before jumping through the hoops to order from France, I had couple of questions. Mainly, is the version of FBReader on the Lux as customizable as the version you can install on the 302? Also, how does the screen compare between the two?

Thanks.
Exactly my situation also. I loved my old PB302. It is still limping along, but almost dead. I got the Touch Lux 2 to replace it, and it is no where near as well made or well designed. I do not know what has happened at Pocketbook, but I suspect new owners/new engineers. Whatever the reason, they have not kept up the good tradition of the PB302.

I got my TL2 here in Australia (ebay) - which surprised me - I was not that keen on going to France myself.

The FBRreader on the Lux is pretty awful You would not use it. The other (and default) reader is the AdobeViewer, and it is much better.

A lot of the customization features of the PB302 are gone. The Lux 2 is more and more like a Kindle (not as bad yet, just as well) - some customization, but not as much as you would like.

The physical button layout is pretty ordinary. I suspect is was designed by a person who never read a book in his life. The layout is totally wrong.

The touch screen is not as good as the PB302. You cannot swipe the Lux - you can only tap regions to change pages. This is ok, but the screen is very sensitive - you get a lot of false triggers (technically you can swipe to change pages, but it does not work).

The front light is good though. And it is also a lot faster - that is nice. You can now search for a title, whereas the PB302 was simply too slow to allow that. I think the screen is nicer on the Lux - mainly because of the frontlight, I suspect. One big problem is that you have to setup your reader every single time you open a new book - the system does not remember your settings. This is totally annoying as I setup my own font size and margins - and I seem to be doing it all the time!

I was very disappointed with the unit after the PB302. I had hoped for something better - after all, they have had 4 years to fine tune things. But then again -what else is better? No other reader that I know of uses a folder structure like the Pocketbooks, and that is a huge benefit. I have used Kobo Aura HDs and Kindles (the older models) and I still think the Lux 2 is the better unit overall. But not by much. There is also no support anymore - when I got the PB302 I could pick from several themes - with the Lux 2 there is basically nothing. I did find one slightly different them, but it is hardly worth the effort.

I get the feeling Pocketbook is withdrawing from the ebook reader market in the West. It is a shame as I thought they were on a winner with the PB302.
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:03 PM   #9
gojisube
Enthusiast

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the Lux2 at the moment. The screen is nicer than the 302s for sure, and the light is a nice feature. I need to look at how i installed Coolreader3, cause it has some glitches. For example random opening of the dictionary when i change pages, and the open with option isn't always available even on books it previously worked on. The button set up isn't as flexible as the 302s. I'm curious to see what the battery life will be like.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #10
rkomar
Wizard

Which Coolreader3 app did you install? The one that was created specifically for the Touch devices?

I haven't installed the latter on my Touch Lux yet, so I don't know if it's glitchy or not. I'm okay with using AdobeViewer.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:23 PM   #11
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
DISCLAIMER:
I do not own PocketBook 626 Touch Lux 2. I only own the first version of PocketBook 623 Touch Lux.
I have also owned PocketBook 360 - THE best device they ever made. PB 302 comes second ;-)
Quote:
Mainly, is the version of FBReader on the Lux as customizable as the version you can install on the 302?
This is the stock FBReader as they come with all PocketBook readers.
It is vastly more customizable than majority of reading apps on other readers.
But ... it can't hold a candle to the third-party FBReader 180 I had installed on my beloved PB360
Quote:
Also, how does the screen compare between the two?
The screen is much, MUCH better.

Quote:
There will be NO rootkit for PocketBook Touch Lux 2. Large number of customization options are available "out of box", including ability to run your own programs, re-designing the interface, installing dictionaries, fonts and other things. You can use third-party terminal emulator or ftp server so you can root (pun intended) in the contents of the internal memory. I have installed a full version of VIM text editor and when you start the terminal emulator you have full blown busybox based system available.
You can't have system that is more "rooted" than this.
The first version of terminal emulator was developed in the early days during programming competition organized AND sponsored by the PocketBook company. PocketBook also released official SDK.
Can you imagine a more open system?

Quote:
Well shoot. One of the great things about the 302 was how easily you could customize fbreader.
FBReader is as customizable as the standard stock version from PB302(*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I think a lot of people moved to coolreader on the Pro devices when they wanted customisability. However, I'm not sure if coolreader was ever ported properly to the touch devices. It's been a long time since I heard about any changes to coolreader for PocketBook devices.
There are several versions of Coolreader available.
I can provide links if you are interested.
The one I use on my PB Touch Lux is made for the touch interface.

(*)I personally have been very happy with the third-party FBReader I used on my old PocketBook. Even the "stock" FBReader was better than the one from the Touch Lux for following reason:
For me personally the new FBReader has one very big bug. For certain books you can't set justification or margins. With the old FBReader, either stock or third-party you could set Justification to Left (**) and it was LEFT for all the books, no matter what their internal formatting was. With the new FBReader on Touch Lux, the FBReader simply ignores your settings in some books. When I want to see the original formatting I simply open AdobeViewer.
I was very dissatisfied with this system, until I installed Coolreader. Now I can read the books formatted just the way I like it and I am very happy with the Touch Lux.
I just wish they had a front-lit 5 inch version with the lid, like my old PB360 had.

(**) with the standard FBReader you needed to edit a configuration file
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:24 PM   #12
gojisube
Enthusiast

I installed a version of CoolReader that was compiled for the various Pocketbook ereaders by a German blog site. I believe the blogger is a member of this forum. I do plan to make sure I actually installed the right one. I'm going to check the tap zones as well.

I think it is the 3rd party version of FBReader I was thinking of. That said, I'm finding CoolReader to be just as good the more I use it.

What has the battery life been like for those of you have had either the Touch Lux or Touch Lux 2? My old 302 seems like it will go forever before needing to be recharged, though in reality it is probably more like 2 to 3 weeks.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:43 PM   #13
rkomar
Wizard

I haven't kept track of the battery life, but my feeling is that it is shorter for my 623 than it is for my 902; maybe something like two weeks for the former. That said, I'm still doing some developing on the 623 and I have the WiFi on for that, so it's hard to be exact.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:43 AM   #14
mat813
mat813 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 2, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
There will be NO rootkit for PocketBook Touch Lux 2. Large number of customization options are available "out of box", including ability to run your own programs, re-designing the interface, installing dictionaries, fonts and other things. You can use third-party terminal emulator or ftp server so you can root (pun intended) in the contents of the internal memory. I have installed a full version of VIM text editor and when you start the terminal emulator you have full blown busybox based system available.
You can't have system that is more "rooted" than this.
The first version of terminal emulator was developed in the early days during programming competition organized AND sponsored by the PocketBook company. PocketBook also released official SDK.
Can you imagine a more open system?
Mmmm, then, I must not have loooked hard enough, where do I get third party apps ? How do I install them ?
mat813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:13 AM   #15
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Mmmm, then, I must not have loooked hard enough, where do I get third party apps ? How do I install them ?
Scour the PocketBook forum - tips for PRO devices.
Some apps work at Touch Lux, some are compiled for older devices that have 5-way navigation button that the new devices lack.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119973

One interesting app is:
http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/en/
Install this, but do not register (if you are not interested in a better than stock chess). Without registering the chess is not working or is working in a limited manner, but other apps installed alongside the chess work (such as strange version of Coolreader.)

Look for Vim for PocketBook
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=224559
If you have no idea what Vim is, install it on your computer and learn to use it. Learning this beast on an e-ink reader will be way too frustrating.
Vim is a *vastly* improved and very powerful version of good old vi text editor used by hard-core UNIX hackers.

Terminal emulator
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=221543

Look for Coolreader.

Read tips and tricks for old devices, most of the stuff works - you will learn how to install fonts, dictionaries (all dictionaries work on new models), you will learn that to install app you just copy it to the \apps directory in the root of the drive you see when you connect the device to PC. (this has changed from the old models where this directory was called games).
Themes from old devices do not work on Touch Lux, look for Sir Steiner.

I have to run now, I will post more later.
In the meanwhile read the PocketBook forum, especially https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69185
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote