Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
E-book Viewer Updates "Date Modified" on File. Why?

Just curious here - I happened to notice that when I open an epub file in the viewer, it touches the file (i.e. updates the Date modified) in Windows 7. I don't think it's changing the contents of the file at all...

Not that I'm nervous about it, but just wondering what it's doing when it does so. I thought that maybe the Viewer would be read-only.
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I believe that it is storing the point reached in the file.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedinfargo View Post
Just curious here - I happened to notice that when I open an epub file in the viewer, it touches the file (i.e. updates the Date modified) in Windows 7. I don't think it's changing the contents of the file at all...

Not that I'm nervous about it, but just wondering what it's doing when it does so. I thought that maybe the Viewer would be read-only.
It is saving your last read position in the book and any bookmarks you may create.

You can turn that feature off from within the viewer itself in it's Preferences dialog. A number of people like myself do - it is important if you want CRC's preserved for duplicate comparisons or are doing incremental backups and don't actually want to open at the same page you last looked at.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
It is saving your last read position in the book and any bookmarks you may create.

You can turn that feature off from within the viewer itself in it's Preferences dialog. A number of people like myself do - it is important if you want CRC's preserved for duplicate comparisons or are doing incremental backups and don't actually want to open at the same page you last looked at.
Awesome - that completely makes sense! I'll definitely find that setting and turn it off...

Thanks for the tip.
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote