Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-01-2011, 02:00 AM   #61
Prateek
Director
Prateek began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad, PB 903, Edge
I too agree with Cipri and I was hugely disappointed by overall performance of PB-903. For 400 Euro I was expecting a much bigger bang then what I got. I know its not fair to compare it with Ipad but as a value for money PB-903 comes no where near the price tag that it flaunts.

Is there a return policy?
Prateek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:02 AM   #62
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Hi guys

Here I am, yet another guy looking for this basic feature!!
I also looked at Asus EEE Note 800 and there seem to be an option to export the notes
Please see the application at the bottom of the page
http://www.freeenote.org/pages/downloads.html

Excuse my ignorance, why can't this be done on PB 903? Is it because the freehand is not working?

The eee 800 can annotate-free hand- PDFs or highlight PDFs (not 100% sure about this one) and all the above mentioned software does is to create a layer on PC and add that to the PC. it is done on the PC, I don't mind that... so, can this be done on PB 903?

So bad that the ea800 is not very good at displaying PDFs (8") only and rotating the page doesn't work!!

thanks
PF
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #63
Shinra tensei
Connoisseur
Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Sony DPT-s1, Pocketbook 903, Onyx M90, iPad 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
the freehand is not working?
For now it doesn't work. We hope in a future firmware version.
Shinra tensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #64
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinra tensei View Post
For now it doesn't work. We hope in a future firmware version.
I have seen Onyx M90 compared with PocketBook 903 on Youtoube. Well ..that video must have been pure brainwashing, the 903 was shown as winner in all respects...from what I see here 903 is just an overpriced oversized ereader.... nothing else
Old 06-27-2011, 04:00 AM   #65
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I have seen Onyx M90 compared with PocketBook 903 on Youtoube. Well ..that video must have been pure brainwashing, the 903 was shown as winner in all respects...from what I see here 903 is just an overpriced oversized ereader.... nothing else
I disagree - obviously the most things we would talk about here are problems, defects and bugs, as there is no much point in raving about how much you like your reader to other people who have got the same, but as a constant reader of this forum I would say that many here are very happy with their devices. Of course, we know they (the devices) have the hadware to do much more, so we are constantly whinging about it, and rightly so. But at least the firmware updates keep coming, and now we have a working free-hand annotation for non pdf and djvu files. On the Russian forum I have read that there is a new SDK for Adobe reader coming (or already arrived to the software developers in Kiev), so I am hopeful that a decent free-hand annotation for pdf and djvu is coming to the Pro models, too, and the fact that the Onyx M9X models exist too is great for competition and to put pressure on Pocketbook to deliver - the free-hand annotation on pdf files is the main reason I got the 903, so I am eagerly awaiting that.

To be fair, at this stage you can free-hand annotate on the X03 models, only not in the same way as you would on paper: you first have to select a portion of text, save it as image and then you can annotate it. This note will appear in the tablo of contents, but not as an overlay on the page you annotated. So, in practive it is like fitting an emergency tyre - the car will go, but not perform as it could - and of course I want much better than that!

Having said that, my PB903 is performing very well, has very good TTS, good display even if not Pearl, full customizability, nice sturdy hardware and is fast. Firmware updates keep coming, so I expect things to improve further. And to be fair to the new Onyx models, they probably also felt the pressure and put to market a product with software not yet fully there, but I expect big software improvements there, too. If you are not in a terrible rush, just wait a couple months more to see how things pan out.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2011, 03:37 PM   #66
PF4Mobile
Guru

Hi Paola

When I started reading this forum I was leaning toward an M90 but as I kept reading I learned about slowness and all sort of problems. That and the price made me look somewhere else.
So far none of the devices on the marker are where I want them to be (that is 10", eink and pdf annotation compatible or portable to desktop.
The only one that comes close to these requirements is eee note 800, still acceptable screen size, you can take free hand notes and highlighs (as separate images) and later merge them on the desktop with a free software as a separate layer. Not perfect but workable. The price is at the oposite end and quite good for what you get.
At least it will keep me afloat till PB903 gets that option and it will not become useless because it will still have the digitizer which I can use ...
I know it is not e-ink but I have heard and read that the screen is OK for your eyes so it should be OK.
Till then, at least for me, PM903 is not worth the money...
As for the comparison with M90 ...it still believe that is hostile competitor comparison, biased and showing only what PM903 do better than M90 and by that is brainwashing. Not mentioning that there are things that M90 can do and PM903 can't makes the video more like an add then just like a review. At this point I can not even be sure if the PDF files used in that presentation where selected on purpose, if you look at the videos that the Onyx people made you will see that in their hands M90 is fast and is doing it's job.

So far eee Note seems to be the only one who has third party, fair and extensive reviews...

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 06-27-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #67
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Hi PF4Mobile
Quote:
So far none of the devices on the marker are where I want them to be (that is 10", eink and pdf annotation compatible or portable to desktop.
I completely agree on this one! And I hope what I wrote didn't come across as a sales pitch for Pocketbook, only wanted to stress that, in spite of all its shortcoming (which really irk us) it is a satisfactory device with a lot of potential - and of course that is just my view.

As for Booxtor's video reviews, my impression is that he is just a user with both devices, I wouldn't have thought he has some kind of "agenda". Of course, that is just one test with one device of each brand (and indeed Booxtor's stylus works much better than mine!), so that should be taken into consideration.

Good luck with your EEnote!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #68
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTech View Post
That mention is because they've managed to handle the Sony's note format. The PocketBook uses plain bmp for the scribbles and screenshots, so there's not much to that. Jarnal itself is in Java, so would be considerably harder to port than Xournal, probably... and we still need the SDK to do anything at all.
concerning the porting of Xournal, the developers in your forum should probably have a look at what the developers did for the Irex DR series in this thread here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87593
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #69
Panoleon
Panoleon began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdaniosif View Post
Is the Pocketbook 903 capable of creating and editing PDF annotations?
NO

Panoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #70
kadbr0
kadbr0 began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by fekhner View Post
concerning the porting of Xournal, the developers in your forum should probably have a look at what the developers did for the Irex DR series in this thread here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87593
I own a DR1000 and am using Xournal to write notes on a daily basis. It works for me although it has its quirks like stalling if you have been writing without saving for too long. So, if anyone can port Xournal to the 903 i will be a very willing buyer since my DR1000 is getting old. Btw, the iRex has PDF annotation as a native function. It is saved in a database, but you can also merge your scribbles with the PDF file and export that to your PC.

For the rest, the PB story i'm reading here sounds a lot like the iRex history. Pretty good hardware but almost no progress in making good software available. Perhaps PB can obtain the iRex sourcecode as a headstart? After all these are both Linux based devices.

Dik
kadbr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #71
adrhc
Connoisseur
adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.

Device: PcketBook Pro 903
@bogdaniosif

Did you buy PB90x ?
adrhc is offline   Reply With Quote