Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-16-2024, 08:47 PM   #1
Dal Bhat
Dal Bhat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 11th Gen
(Kindle) Display books with covers in a non-alphabetical order. How to with Calibre?

Right now, it's a thought experiment. How could this be done?

Consider a number of books in a series, SciFi is typical. They have titles. They are displayed together in a Kindle collection. Default is by book title, alphabetical.

What if I wanted them to display in the recommended reading order, or chronological order according to the storyline in the series?

Using Calibre, what would I edit in the book file before I USB-sent it to the Kindle? For example, appending 0, 1, 2, 3, 4... to the title.

Would that be the title as the book file as displayed in the Calibre main interface? Or would the edit be to the title using "edit metadata" for the book?

tldr: what does Kindle use to alpha order installed book files?

Bonus Q: any downside to doing this?
Dal Bhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 10:31 PM   #2
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Look into Metadata Plugboards. That will let you set the title in the files sent to Kindle without changing it in the library.

Personally, I use something similar to this for title so it starts with the series and I can easily see my custom wordcount column and tags:
Code:
{series:|| }{series_index:0>2s|| - }{title}{#wordcount:| (|)}{tags:| |}
JimmXinu is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2024, 02:18 PM   #3
Dal Bhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
Look into Metadata Plugboards. That will let you set the title in the files sent to Kindle without changing it in the library.
Whoosh, right over my head.

Is there a guide or tutorial for that?
Old 05-17-2024, 02:20 PM   #4
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dal Bhat View Post
Whoosh, right over my head.

Is there a guide or tutorial for that?
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/template_lang.html
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 03:12 PM   #5
Dal Bhat

Thanks, I saw that. Then I found this:

https://www.howtogeek.com/114063/how...-ebook-series/

Just what I wanted, spoonfed it right to me.
Advert