Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
any hacks for replacement screens?

In my quest for a large e-ink screen, I came across replacement e-ink screens. I was hoping to create an array of such screens. Two 9.7 inch screens are roughly 8.5 by 11 inches.

The problems is that I am lacking hardware to run the screens. Freescale makes a display card, but it only runs a single screen. The card is also expensive. Quite surprisingly e-ink themselves have not been helpful.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrucci View Post
In my quest for a large e-ink screen, I came across replacement e-ink screens. I was hoping to create an array of such screens. Two 9.7 inch screens are roughly 8.5 by 11 inches.

The problems is that I am lacking hardware to run the screens. Freescale makes a display card, but it only runs a single screen. The card is also expensive. Quite surprisingly e-ink themselves have not been helpful.
Buy surplus, sometimes broken, Kindles for use as the driver hardware.

Try a web search, as in:
e-ink site:hackaday.com

Last edited by knc1; 10-24-2012 at 10:37 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrucci View Post

Where are the replacement? How much do they cost? My DXG needs a screen.

I plan to make an array (wall) of eink displays, using my K3 (and other) demo kindles.

You can use a VNC client (or similar screen-sharing app). There are some available for various kindle models. Or you can proxy the raw framebuffer with netcat.

EDIT: It may be possible to drive an eink screen directly with output pins (from an arduino or rasbpi, or whatever). But you would need a logic analyzer and some signal and protocol analysis skill to figure out the eink pinout and commands to send to it.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-24-2012 at 12:58 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I found some on e-bay. Here is a link to one auction.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-E-ink-LC...item3a6dcff2c5

DX screens run about $150, although maybe you can find a bargain somewhere.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
aranwe
Enthusiast
aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch
for this price i have seen demo kindle DX
aranwe is offline   Reply With Quote