Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-12-2019, 12:52 AM   #1
rkashyap
rkashyap began at the beginning.

Device: ASUS ROG - Windows 10
Calibre 4.0 Can't open database error

I am running Calibre on my ASUS ROG running Windows 10. The library is on the F: drive.

Three days ago I upgraded Calibre to 4.0 and everything was working fine. Yesterday there was a windows update and all drives except the C: drive gave and I/O error. I fixed the issue with the I/O errors, but now Calibre is not working.

raceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 304, in initialize_db
File "site-packages\calibre\db\legacy.py", line 82, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\db\legacy.py", line 47, in create_backend
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 401, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 1150, in user_version
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 865, in conn
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 291, in __init__
CantOpenError: CantOpenError: unable to open database file

I checked the forums and added the Calibre folder to the exceptions for both Avast Antivirus and Windows Defender. This did not solve the problem. I then downloaded Calibre 4.1 and installed that and still getting the same error.

I uninstalled 4.1 and re-installed 4.0 and it is still not working. My entire setup is local to my laptop.

Can anyone suggest other steps to troubleshoot this issue?

Best Regards,

Kashyap
rkashyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:46 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
run a checkdisk and also try turning off the antivirus not just excluding folder from it
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2019, 02:23 PM   #3
rkashyap
rkashyap began at the beginning.

Device: ASUS ROG - Windows 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
run a checkdisk and also try turning off the antivirus not just excluding folder from it
Thanks for the suggestions. I finally managed to get Calibre to work after spending 6 hours with Microsoft support. There was an issue with their update and they connected remotely and rolled back some patches that were causing the issue with disk I/O errors.

Best Regards,

Kashyap
rkashyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:06 AM   #4
jdvanisl
jdvanisl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Unhappy I am having the same problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkashyap View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I finally managed to get Calibre to work after spending 6 hours with Microsoft support. There was an issue with their update and they connected remotely and rolled back some patches that were causing the issue with disk I/O errors.

Best Regards,

Kashyap
Did Microsoft say they would be fixing this problem, at all? Or do I need to spend 6 hours with them too!
jdvanisl is offline   Reply With Quote