Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-18-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
I'd really hate to stir up a negative conversation...

But the demo units over at Barnes & Noble, are more messed up then I thought, I was on a second demo unit at the closest store (which is shutting down ), I found out that- mostly due to the current firmware- an overly busy 3G population in the store could render the nook unusable.

First off, both of the screens hanged blank, I had to wait three minutes for it to respond.

Standby became more of a pain to exit because of wireless interference.

And finally, the screens started blinking back and forth furiously every other second, I returned to the demo unit a while after to find it still blinking like crazy, and the lady at the stand was blowing steam trying to un-hang it.
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
Copynik
Copynik began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Sorry to also sound negative but it sounds a lot like my nook. I am one very unhappy camper. It doesn't save the most recent bookmark, hangs onto bookmarks I've deleted, is slow and very erratic. I thought it was dead until I tried a number of different fixes and discovered the battery is probably draining too quickly.

The battery is not even lasting 24 hours with Wi-Fi turned OFF and the battery fully charged. My nook froze up in sleep mode since a day ago and only now is starting to work again (once I realize the battery had drained so quickly).

I'm awaiting return authorization info from B&N and either sending it back or selling it. Wish I hadn't opened the packaging.
Copynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copynik View Post

I'm awaiting return authorization info from B&N and either sending it back or selling it. Wish I hadn't opened the packaging.
You probably want to return it to B&N. If you sell it and the buyer has the same issues, they are going to be pretty ticked off. You wouldn't want that to happen to you (even though it kind of has).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
Copynik
Copynik began at the beginning.

Device: nook
daffy this is true. I am not sure whether I am permitted to return it to B&N at this point, unless I return it as defective, which is what I'd intended to do. I was basing the "defective" on the fact that it wouldn't get out of sleep mode. Now I presume it is defective because of a bad battery and the need for software update. I am nervous that they still haven't sent me the return authorization paperwork needed to return it. I've called to followup and they claim it's in the computer system, but I really wonder. I'm almost tempted to just bring it to a local B&N and return it and eat the restocking fee, but if I'm already in the B&N system then I question whether I can do that.
Copynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
Propheous
Connoisseur
Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
Its my understanding you have 14 days for the return policy. Though you would probably have better lucky getting a replacement and if you still don't like it ebay it.
Propheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
superhero
Enthusiast
superhero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.superhero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.superhero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.superhero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS 505, B&N Nook, Sony Daily Edition, iRex Reader
My Nook is not doing those things and seems to be functioning reasonably normal. I suggest taking it back as it does seem to be defective. Have you tried turning it completely off and turning it back on. Sometimes that solves a lot of problems.
superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #7
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhero View Post
My Nook is not doing those things and seems to be functioning reasonably normal. I suggest taking it back as it does seem to be defective. Have you tried turning it completely off and turning it back on. Sometimes that solves a lot of problems.
A book I bought no longer works on the Nook. I've tried turning it off and on, turning it completely off and removing the battery for several minutes, archiving the item and re-downloading it, and nothing works. You can't completely delete it, or else you will have to buy it again, according to the User Guide. I can still read the book in my B&N Reader on my computer, but Jeeze!

I experimented with note-taking and underlining with that book. Did that somehow confuse the Nook?

I bought a second book, and so far have had no problems, but I'm not going to attempt to underline or take notes again until I've finished that book.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
captobie
captobie began at the beginning.

Device: PDA (Mobipocket, eReader), nook (it's here!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copynik View Post
The battery is not even lasting 24 hours with Wi-Fi turned OFF and the battery fully charged. My nook froze up in sleep mode since a day ago and only now is starting to work again (once I realize the battery had drained so quickly).
Something is obviously wrong. Perhaps you have a very weak 3G signal? That can put a real strain on the battery. Try putting the device in airplane mode. If the battery is still draining that fast you probably have a defective unit.
captobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:47 PM   #9
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
A book I bought no longer works on the Nook. I've tried turning it off and on, turning it completely off and removing the battery for several minutes, archiving the item and re-downloading it, and nothing works. You can't completely delete it, or else you will have to buy it again, according to the User Guide. I can still read the book in my B&N Reader on my computer, but Jeeze!

I experimented with note-taking and underlining with that book. Did that somehow confuse the Nook?

I bought a second book, and so far have had no problems, but I'm not going to attempt to underline or take notes again until I've finished that book.
Try downloading the book to your PC and sideloading it onto the nook. See if you can then read the books (you should also be able to underline, make notes also - it just will be in your My Documents side of the nook).
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:50 PM   #10
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
Try downloading the book to your PC and sideloading it onto the nook. See if you can then read the books (you should also be able to underline, make notes also - it just will be in your My Documents side of the nook).
I gave that a shot and it seems to be working (so far).

WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote