Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
sawbuck
sawbuck began at the beginning.

Device: nook classic sn 1010
Questions about rooting my nook

I've been scouring the net looking for current information for rooting a classic nook that is reasonably simple. It looks like using nookdevs.com's "Rooting B&N revision 1.4 to 1.7 on any hardware" and the bat files I read about in posting by "jackr" sort of fits. So, I'm going to give it a try.

First I wanted to ask if the bogus web site ( http://nookadb.suspended-chord.info/ ) mentiond in the procedure above still works. My nook is firmware 1.5 and sn 1010. It is factory, unregistered, fully charged, etc.

Second is probably obvious but using the bat requires "no other devices" connected. I assume that means nothing plugged into a removeable drive like an SD memory chips and not usb attached printers, etc.
sawbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
sawbuck

Got it rooted

Was hoping to hear from someone who had something similar to my nook who had done it successfully, but......

Using the procedures mentioned I did root the device seemingly without a hitch - thanks to the folks who created the files and procedures. Now I can connect to my nook through adb simply by double clicking on the "goto_abd.bat" fle jackr created.

I downloaded the nook browser from nookdevs "Application Directory" and after connecting to my nook I dragged the apk file to jackr's "app_install.bat" icon and it said the app was installed successfully. However, I can't seem to find any indication that it is on my nook.

Back to exploring and experimenting.....
Advert
Old 09-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
sawbuck

Thumbs up Now have ru launcher and usable apps...

Guess it is no surprise the installed apps dont automagically appear without a launcher. I installed ru launcher and now have a menu choice between stock nook menu and the rooted nook menu - which also includes the stock menu integrated with the new apps I added. I find it takes a bit of experimenting with whatever I add just to understand what I did. I guess one should not expect detailed esplanations and fail safe step-by-step instructions complete with graphics and laden with comments. Although some videos might still be around on youtube. However, so far it is adequate to get one started and trial and error is a good learning experience.

So far, I've loaded the 0.9 version nook browser and the crosword game. Both seem to work fine now that I have the layuncher and know how to hook them with it . My next task is to install one of the file/library management apps and try to do something useful with it since Ihve many, many epub books and some pdfs also.

That is not to say the nook browser is not useful, it does load quicker than the stock "beta" nook WEB app but looks quite different. Haven't found how to add things like zip codes in the touch screen window yet. Nothing seems to happen when I do but reading news and getting weather is a snap. Haven't tried the media viewing part yet.

I've installed one corssword puzzle (none come with the apps) and it works sort of like the standard nook Sudoku app insofar as entering info and might be an alternative to while away time at the Dr./Dentist waiting room in lieu of feading.

So, while the rest of the world is blasting away with their various Tablets and Ipads (and wanna-bes) I'll continue to explore the rooted eink nook's expanded capability to be more than just a great little ereader.....at least until it gets too boring.

til next time....
Old 09-27-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
HunterZ
HunterZ is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Does the fact that you installed nookBrowser mean that you used the browser corruption rooting method? I'm thinking of rooting but am not keen on doing this, as I'd rather not effectively downgrade my browser.
HunterZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #5
sawbuck

Original nook browser is still the same...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterZ View Post
Does the fact that you installed nookBrowser mean that you used the browser corruption rooting method? I'm thinking of rooting but am not keen on doing this, as I'd rather not effectively downgrade my browser.
I did use the "Luck" method which many have found corrupts the browser in the ratc.bin file pushing step if you aren't fast enough. However, I used jackr's bat routines and was done in seconds so the original stock nook borwser is still intact. My stock takes FOEREVER to load a page like msn.com or abc.com because of all the graphics and I can't seem to find a way to curtail the graphics. The nookdevs browser loads quicker and has some different choices. I'm still playing with it when time permits.

Anyway, the "luck" - "backdoor" - browser corruption" -whatever best describes it - did go quickly and without resetting anything on my home wireless. On my pc I temprarily changed priveleges so I could edit the init.rc file. Otherwise, straight forward as described by jackr and others.
Advert
Old 09-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
HunterZ
HunterZ is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
I wonder if it's possible to copy the official browser from a non-corrupted Nook to a corrupted one to repair the latter?

I guess I don't use the browser much anyways (let's face it, it's cumbersome!), and if the unofficial one is faster then it may be worth the "downgrade".
HunterZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #7
sawbuck

So far, the apps I've installed are worth the effort although the jury may still be out on the nookdevs browser.

I like the library app in particular since I can sort in several ways the content stored.

I've had the occasion to play with the crossword app when I was stuck waiting in cue and found it entertaining.

I've found the nookMarket app useful in showing avail. apps and getting them installed directly to the nook. Although a web browser 1.0 would not install "on this phone" which I'll have to look into.

HunterZ, somewhere in the MANY threads I've been to , I saw references to reinstalling the original nook Library app. Yor might want to google or search reinstalling process to see if it might fit the browser question.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #8
sawbuck

I've pretty much given up on using the claxxic for web browsing. Regardless which browser I use it takes too much time to load pages. Sicne I was mainly looking to some way to quickly get news/weater I've tried to suppress graphcs whenever possible but just trying to navigate a site becomes tedious. Shouldn't expect much from a device with a basic processor design....

I've a 16 Gb nook tablet on the way which is primarily planned to be my spouses but I may borrow it from time to time to browse. The nook classic is still most useful as an ebook reader....

For the balance of the apps I've added since rooting, Library, launcher, appmanger, crossword, and wifi lock are most useful. Even though both web browsers (original and nookdevs) function neither is what I'd consider very useful. All classic nook apps are still resident and usable.

Si inspite of not being actively supported today as it was a year or so ago it is still worth rooting.