Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-15-2012, 07:00 AM   #16
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
http://www.tgdaily.com/mobility-feat...-199-price-tag

Quote:
But really, what choice does Microsoft have? The tablet space is currently dominated by Apple's iPad, with Android devices gobbling up the remainder of the market. 

An aggressive pricing strategy designed to capture as much initial market share as possible will likely benefit Microsoft and its partners in the long run. 

Remember, with the WinTel PC market stagnating, Redmond really can't afford to kick back, sell a few hundred thousand Windows 8 tablets at a $600-$800 price point and concede the market to Android and iOS. It's simply too late in the game for that sort of complacency.
Is MS ready to concede the tablet market to Android and iOS? Or will MS fight?

MS lost out with smartphone. Is it willing to lose out on tablet? (especially now that PC sales are stagnating with the rise of tablets).

$199 might be a bit too low though. $249 might make more sense.

It probably cost $300 to make with MS taking a $50 loss.

MS lost $168 per XBOX sold ($4 billion in the first 5 years or so).
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #17
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I'm not as familiar with the specs for the Surface as I ought to be... is it as good as or better than the Nexus 7? Once I start getting paid, there's a tablet in my future, I'm just not sure which one.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #18
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
These reports are just silly.
If MS did that, they would remove any chance of their being OEM manufacturers of Win8RT tablets, as MS would have left them no market to operate in.
I'm not at all sure if (from M$' perspective) that would be a bad thing or not. I am, however, sure that from the comsumer's perspective the more competition the better. We don't need another fruitesque closed ecosystem.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #19
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I'm not as familiar with the specs for the Surface as I ought to be... is it as good as or better than the Nexus 7? Once I start getting paid, there's a tablet in my future, I'm just not sure which one.
The spec sheet(.pdf) says very little at this time, but it starts at 32GB storage, which is nice. It also has USB2, MicroSD and DisplayPort ports.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #20
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
That is nice - almost worth putting up with Microsoft for.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #21
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
The spec sheet(.pdf) says very little at this time, but it starts at 32GB storage, which is nice. It also has USB2, MicroSD and DisplayPort ports.
Looks like they're kitting it out as an actual computer instead of just a basic tablet. This goes against my better judgement, but I'm liking the Surface standard thus far.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #22
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Looks like they're kitting it out as an actual computer instead of just a basic tablet. This goes against my better judgement, but I'm liking the Surface standard thus far.
Unless it will run linux with drivers for all the hardware, I'm not interested.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #23
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPunk View Post
I'm assuming that the LA Times has some contacts in Redmond and that they wouldn't go with this story without some level of confirmation...
If that were true, I would have expected to see some mention of it in the story. The only source cited is Engadget.

The only source cited by Engadget is "an inside source" that the details were divulged "at Microsoft's recent TechReady15 conference." This anonymous source could be from Microsoft or the conference. Maybe even somebody who just heard about the conference.

I have an inside source who says that Microsoft will drop them from the sky onto any house that has "I love Microsoft" painted on the roof.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #24
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
$199 for a 10.6 inch tablet? My VISA is trembling.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #25
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Unless it will run linux with drivers for all the hardware, I'm not interested.
It probably won't, or will take six to eight months for the hid-multitouch driver to get the proper device codes. You probably didn't see how long it took to get support for the Dell Duo, which could've been a poster child Linux tablet if Dell hadn't given it a defective BIOS and encryption chip.

The biggie is going to be whether or not GRUB can bootload for it or if the bootloader will be in the BIOS. If it runs like an Android device, then it'll probably be stuck.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #26
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
If it runs like an Android device, then it'll probably be stuck.
Or if it boots like an XBOX...
Just because Surface runs Windows8 like a generic PC doesn't mean the hardware itself will be generic. Since MS will be controlling the hardware and the software they can sign and encrypt the heck out of everything. They can insert proprietary booby traps all over, *especially* if they think they might want to go with low-ball pricing at some point. They learned their lessons well with the first XBOX and XBMC.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:51 AM   #27
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
If that were true, I would have expected to see some mention of it in the story. The only source cited is Engadget.

The only source cited by Engadget is "an inside source" that the details were divulged "at Microsoft's recent TechReady15 conference." This anonymous source could be from Microsoft or the conference. Maybe even somebody who just heard about the conference.

I have an inside source who says that Microsoft will drop them from the sky onto any house that has "I love Microsoft" painted on the roof.
Hehe, when you have earned the reputation of the LA Times, I'll get out my paint brush...
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:25 AM   #28
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
ZDNet's Foley takes a crack at trying to rationalize the rumor:
http://www.zdnet.com/is-there-any-wa...se-7000002629/

Lots of contortions, nothing vaguely sensible.
The best she can come with is the base unit might be priced at $199 with the keyboard cover and Office each adding $100. Which only makes sense if they intend to pull a bait and switch--advertise the base unit but only sell the bundle--similar to how Sony mismanaged the PS3 launch, advertising the heck out of the 20GB PS3 but only shipping the 30GB model.
She tries but the rumor is so unlikely...

The comments are better, pointing out there is nothing low-ball about the Surface, from the screen to the dual MIMO WiFi antennas...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #29
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Gah! If it's true I will definitely get it!!
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #30
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Which appstore will the RT use?
The Banana App Store (as opposed to the Apple App Store)
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote