Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
mog
mog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 (NT)
Kindle 4 NT Hacking help

Hi, i'm kinda noob in this kindle jailbreaking.
I want to install Kindlet Aplications on my Kindle 4 NT ( Fw- 4.1.0 )

I already used the "PuTTY" and acessed my kindle root to make the "screensaver hack".

...so, now what do I need to do ?

PS: i've searched this forum...but i'm still confuse... what is "Touchscreen hack" ? do i need it ?

Thanks
mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Read the K4 Hacking Wiki. You can get there from the Kindle Dev Corner master index sticky.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
mog

ok, thanks.
is there any problem jailbreaking with the 4.1.0 fw ?

Edit:

i have fallowed the " Ixtab Simple JailBreak Method ", but "dev" aplications still don't work :S

i made this steps:

1- download, Unzip
2-Copy RUNME.sh and data.tar.gz to your Kindle
3-Reboot from settings menu (Settings, then press the "options" button again)

i'm suppose to do anything more?

Last edited by mog; 06-10-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mog View Post
ok, thanks.
is there any problem jailbreaking with the 4.1.0 fw ?
No problem. Just follow the correct set of instructions in the wiki.

Regarding your previous post, the K4 does not have a touchscreen, so no touchscreen hack. The K5 has a touchscreen. Which hack is the "touchscreen hack"? I would like to see it. Please provide a link to that hack here. Thanks.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-10-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
mog

Just forget about that "touchscreen hack", i have misunderstood with other hack.

btw: i have done the jailbreak turorial and i still cant open dev apps. help ?
Advert
Old 06-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
geekmaster

Quote:
Just forget about that "touchscreen hack", i have misunderstood with other hack.

btw: i have done the jailbreak turorial and i still cant open dev apps. help ?
What does "cant open dev apps" mean? What "dev apps"? The jailbreak lets you installed signed update install packages. Each kindle model needs a different install package. You need to copy one that MATCHES your kindle model to the USB drive, which will enable (un-gray) the "Update Your Kindle" menu option. Choose that to install the package.

If by "dev apps" you mean "kindlets", you also need to install the combined developer keys. You can get those from the dev corner master index (tools index wiki). Or search for them.

There are other apps that do not need any key (jailbreak or dev keys), such as native mode apps. And on the K5, there are WAF apps (HTML/Javascript).

How you install "dev apps" depends on what KIND of app they are. Each should come with a README file or other instructions that say how to install it.

Beware that some screensaver hacks can brick your kindle if installed for the wrong firmware version, so beware of what you do there...
Old 06-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
mog

hmmm ok, so...before i can install any Kindlet i need to download the right package and "update" my kindle ? where can i found those?
Old 06-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #8
geekmaster

The apps that need a jailbreak are the kindlets. You can find some in the Kindlet index, from the master index in the dev corner forum. Others are in the K4 hacks wiki, and others in various posts in the dev corner forum. Hopefully all the good stuff will get into the indexes in time...
Old 06-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
mog

My kindle is jailbroken ( i think ) but where can i Find the right package for my kindle?

is this the right link ? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=151

...i can't find a Kindle 4 NT .bin file :/

Edit:

can i this one? "update_jailbreak_0.5.1_k3w_install.bin"

Last edited by mog; 06-11-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
geekmaster

Quote:
My kindle is jailbroken ( i think ) but where can i Find the right package for my kindle?

is this the right link ? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=151

...i can't find a Kindle 4 NT .bin file :/

Edit:

can i this one? "update_jailbreak_0.5.1_k3w_install.bin"
That link is for a jailbreak for a K3 version 3.2.1 to 3.3. It is NOT for a K4.

Go to: Dev Corner forum, Master Index, K4 Index, K4 Hacking Wiki. The click Jailbreak to go to the Jailbreak section of that wiki page.

I said to do that in post #2 of this thread, but your questions indicate that you did not follow my advice, so I gave it again.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
mog

aaah, so now I will follow the "screensaver hack"!

i thought the "screensaver hack" was the same as "Put your own screensavers on the kindle " since i already done it i thought i didn't needed to do it again... my bad.

...and now, just to Re-check. is this the right one: "update_ss_0.26.N_k4w" ?

PS: geekmaster, thanks for the help and the patience!

PS2: do i need to keep the "Ixtab" files on my kindle ?

Last edited by mog; 06-11-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
geekmaster

Quote:
aaah, so now I will follow the "screensaver hack"!

i thought the "screensaver hack" was the same as "Put your own screensavers on the kindle " since i already done it i thought i didn't needed to do it again... my bad.

...and now, just to Re-check. is this the right one: "update_ss_0.26.N_k4w" ?

PS: geekmaster, thanks for the help and the patience!

PS2: do i need to keep the "Ixtab" files on my kindle ?
I do not have any K4 hacks on mine. That looks from the name like it could be right, and it needs a jailbreak. I do not think that you need to keep the "ixtab files" on your kindle after the jailbreak is done. You should read its README file to know for sure...
Old 06-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #13
mog

ok. I have un-grayed the option of update, and updated the kindle...it give the "U007" error i was told to expect...but after the reboot ( and a 2nd reboot ) nothing happen! ..i don't have any "linkss" folder
Old 06-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #14
geekmaster

Quote:
ok. I have un-grayed the option of update, and updated the kindle...it give the "U007" error i was told to expect...but after the reboot ( and a 2nd reboot ) nothing happen! ..i don't have any "linkss" folder
Does that hack support 4.1.0? There are reports that one of the required screensaver filenames changed in 4.1.0, and you can rename it to fix the problem.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #15
mog

i don't know.. but in the wiki it says:

"Update: So far this current screensaver hack is not working on the Kindle NT or the Kindle NT SO!!!! "

what is "kindle nt so" ?