Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Any way to store and use Kindle ".apnx" files?

I buy most of my books from Amazon, and these days they generally come with a ".apnx" file which provides page numbers.

I store all my books in Calibre, and load then on my Kindle in the same way.

I know that it doesn't really fit in with Calibre's goals of device independence, but it would be really nice if Calibre were able to store the ".apnx" file associated with a book, and transfer that to the Kindle along with the book, when the book is sent to the device.

Is there any way that this can - or could - be achieved?

(I know there's an "apnx" plug in which will generate a "pseudo-apnx" file; that's not what I'm talking about here; I'd like to store and use the proper apnx file that comes from Amazon.)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I don't see how this violates the concept of device independence.
.apnx is Kindle (series) specific. Other formats are device (compatible) specific.
So including a APNX file and sending it to compatible devices seems no different than the ability to send OPF and JPG to others.

Drivers will need touch-up for this to happen

The big questions: What file (format) is the APNX paired with in the Library?
How to maintain-assure proper pairing?
my 2 cents
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In theory, you can add the apnx file to the book record and the Kindle driver could be modified to check for the existence of an apnx and use it when present, but this is something that I think is rather fragile, so I'm not really motivated to implement it. For example, if you decide to do a mobi-mobi conversion, what happens to the apnx? The information in the apnx will no longer co-incide with the structure of the MOBI. And then there will be problems if amazon decide to change the format of the apnx file, like they did with the mbp file a couple of years ago, which broke fetching annotation from newer Kindles.

Incidentally, there's nothing "pseudo" about the apnx file generated by the plugin. It simply uses an algorithm to calculate the number of pages in a book.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:28 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Incidentally, there's nothing "pseudo" about the apnx file generated by the plugin. It simply uses an algorithm to calculate the number of pages in a book.
Sorry - I meant they are "pseudo-pages", not that it's a "pseudo-file" . ie, they are rather like ADE page numbers - a count of bytes in the file - rather than corresponding to pages in a printed book, as a apnx file supplied by Amazon does.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote