Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #16
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman69 View Post
I have both a Nook STR and a Sony PRS-T1 and I think that the Sony screen is much more readable. I find the Sony to be clearer and especially better in that the print spacing is not squinched vertically in the Sony as it is in the Nook. Yes, while the Nook supposedly has a vertical spacing control, it does not work too well with many of the ePub books that I have. One more reason to detest ePub. Sony, PLEASE bring back BBeB, it was SOOOO MUCH more readable.

Harvey
Not going to happen - Sony seems to be bucking the mainstream and getting AWAY from proprietary formats and closed systems.

There may be a small downside to that, but for the most part I say, 'Hooray!'
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #17
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
As others said, it's most likely just the difference between individual screens. I've had my 350 for about 10 months and love it, so much that I just bought another one as my spare since I don't care for the T1. And there's a very noticeable difference between the 2 screens... the new one I just bought has a lighter background and darker text, even when settings are identical. I noticed it as soon as I booted it up the first time and had to get my old 350 and set them side-by-side to be sure.

There seems to be quite a bit of difference between identical e-ink screens apparently. It's not that my old 350 isn't as readable as the new one, it is. But the contrast seems so much better on the new one, I'm tempted to use that full time and set the old one aside as the spare .
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #18
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
I had the nook st before the t1. I thought the screen on the t1 was an upgrade from the nook, the background on my nook was greyish vs a whiter t1, also the partial refreshes led to noticeable ghosting. I read on smaller font, and the blackness of the letters were more inconsistent on the nook. On the plus, the nook st was more responsive and quicker among switching screens and browsing books.

For what its worth, I would just buy the t1 from best buy if I were you and return it if you're having problems. I've had my experience of nonfunctioning demo units yet the product runs great once bought. Also keep in mind a bunch of us are not having issues with ours...
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:10 PM   #19
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I am really tempted to look into the Nook as a backup reader. Would that be feasible? If I remove DRM, will I be able to transfer my SONY-store books over? Is that even legal?
You shouldn't even have to remove DRM, Sony Store books are Adobe-DRM, Nook supports that. Just transfer them over through ADE and there ya go. I don't have a Nook STR, but I have a classic Nook WiFi and it has been compatible with Sony Store books from the get go. I just added them to ADE and transferred them to my Nook.

I only had to learn to strip DRM when I went the other direction, from BN.com books to the Sony.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote