Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 08-21-2016, 05:00 PM   #46
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
I agree with you on that last sentence. It all seems a bit strange, even the comments in this thread about self-promotion (common sense tells you these rules are for authors/publishers promoting books or other things for sale, not a information video that sells nothing?!). I just figured maybe there was some history with the OP that I wasn't aware of.
Well, FWIW, one of the Editors did say in-thread (in response to my question about just that), that there were other issues involved.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:12 PM   #47
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
One little note about the thread that is being referenced: several posts have been edited or deleted due to rule violations.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:36 AM   #48
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
First let me address the topic, moderators / editors here are here because they are all enthusiastic members of the MobileRead community. They are all entitled to express their opinions in accordance with the forum guidelines just like anyone else on MobileRead. In return you are free to express your own opinions in the same civil manner. If this bothers your sense of fair play you're also free to move to another forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Sometimes, videos have ads connected to them that makes the video maker money.
So if the video had been anywhere but youtube, it would have been self-promotion.

Pretty much if one posts a link that could make them money, it is self promotion.
This includes blogs.
Your "if the video had been anywhere but youtube" line makes no sense since many folks monetize their channels. Still, I believe there is a difference between self promotion and providing the community a valuable resource in the form of an informational video or blog post.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:46 AM   #49
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
First let me address the topic, moderators / editors here are here because they are all enthusiastic members of the MobileRead community. They are all entitled to express their opinions in accordance with the forum guidelines just like anyone else on MobileRead. In return you are free to express your own opinions in the same civil manner. If this bothers your sense of fair play you're also free to move to another forum.

Your "if the video had been anywhere but youtube" line makes no sense since many folks monetize their channels. Still, I believe there is a difference between self promotion and providing the community a valuable resource in the form of an informational video or blog post.
Let me explain. An author, blogger, average Joe can all do self-promotion here. There is a forum dedicated to nothing but self-promotion.
The problem arises when the person posts a self-promotional anything to a different forum.
The video in question was posted in the "What should I buy" forum.

If the poster is making money in any shape, form or fashion off said blog, video, whatever it falls under self-promotion.

Now if I find a video or blog or website that I find useful, I can put it in the appropriate thread or start my own. If I have made said whatever it goes in self-promotion.

I hope this clears things up.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:47 PM   #50
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

I just want to say thank you for the quick response I got today.