Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-25-2008, 11:28 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Tolkien ebooks?

I'm amazed that I can't find the Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit as an ebook. There are ebooks about them - e.g. CliffsNotes - but not the books themselves.

Have I missed anything? Google searches haven't found anything.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The only thing you've likely missed is that the Tolkien Estate is evidently fundamentally opposed to e-books.

Same as J. K. Rowling.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:34 AM   #3
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I'm amazed that I can't find the Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit as an ebook. There are ebooks about them - e.g. CliffsNotes - but not the books themselves.

Have I missed anything? Google searches haven't found anything.
You haven't missed anything. There are no legitimate copies of Tolkien in ebook format. The estate has never licensed the work in ebook form.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:10 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks to you both - I didn't know that. Is there documentation anywhere about this?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:46 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You'll just have to wait till the copyrights to all the books expires.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
SeaWolf
Connoisseur
SeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Kindle Paperwhite WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You'll just have to wait till the copyrights to all the books expires.
Or some unscrupulous individual OCRs the text and puts it out there somewhere...
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:37 AM   #7
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Audio

They may not be out in ebook, but they are out in Audio books. As an alternative.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:05 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWolf View Post
Or some unscrupulous individual OCRs the text and puts it out there somewhere...
Most of Tolkien works are already out there (i.e. somewhere )...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #9
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Most of Tolkien works are already out there (i.e. somewhere )...
Yes, in paper. Not electronic unless you really want to deal with a darknet copy.

Personally, I don't. I have hardcovers I treasure.
______
Dennis
Old 07-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Yes, in paper. Not electronic unless you really want to deal with a darknet copy.

Personally, I don't. I have hardcovers I treasure.
______
Dennis
Dennis did you read previous posts well?

In case you didn't I will clarify:

AlexBell: I'm amazed that I can't find the Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit as an ebook
JSWolf: You'll just have to wait till the copyrights to all the books expires.
SeaWolf: Or some unscrupulous individual OCRs the text and puts it out there somewhere...(obviously it means illegal copies i.e. DARKNET)
astra: Most of Tolkien works are already out there (i.e. somewhere )... (this reply refers to ebook versions OCRed by some unscurpulous individual and uploaded somewhere out there)

As a side note: I have special editions and some of them on india paper and I treasure these books more than any other books in my collection.

Last edited by astra; 07-27-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:35 AM   #11
SeaWolf
Connoisseur
SeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Kindle Paperwhite WiFi
I have to confess that I've never read them. I have a copy of the trilogy, in a single, voluminous tome that sits menacingly on my bookshelf. Every time I've gone to read I've picked it up and the sheer size and weight of it has scared me off. Someday though...
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:50 AM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Dennis did you read previous posts well?

In case you didn't I will clarify:
Not that he needs defending but Dennis did say in post #3:

Quote:
You haven't missed anything. There are no legitimate copies of Tolkien in ebook format. The estate has never licensed the work in ebook form.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:53 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Not that he needs defending but Dennis did say in post #3:
Yes he said that. But he entirely missed what I said.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #14
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWolf View Post
I have to confess that I've never read them. I have a copy of the trilogy, in a single, voluminous tome that sits menacingly on my bookshelf. Every time I've gone to read I've picked it up and the sheer size and weight of it has scared me off. Someday though...
It took me a bit of doing when I first read LoTR many years ago. It starts slowly, and I had to push myself through the first hundred pages or so. After that, the pace picked up, and I finished the trilogy in a weekend. I've re-read it one a year or so since, and I find new things each time.

I'm one of the folks who spent as much time in the appendices as I did in the books, since I wanted the back story hinted at in the books, and I happily bought and read the Silmarillion to get it, as well as The Unfinished Tales and various of the annotated manuscripts his son has been producing.

I could even do passable Quenya calligraphy once upon a time, though I've quite lost my hand since.
______
Dennis
Old 07-27-2008, 12:51 PM   #15
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post

I could even do passable Quenya calligraphy once upon a time, though I've quite lost my hand since.
______
Dennis
Ehm. I retreat. We have a real connoisseur here.
I have read LotR about 4 or 5 times. The Silmarillion, The Hobbit and Unfinished Tales only once. Didn't read anything else yet...

Tags
duck!