Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 06:47 AM   #1
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
What happened to the cover and author?

I have downloaded a couple of books from kobobooks.com and also another from borders.com.au via ADE that are missing their covers.
On the website when I purchased them they had nice covers (that looked like a real book) but when I downloaded them they ended up with a very boring generic looking title page.
One of the books also says that the author is unknown despite the fact that the author was listed on the website when I purchased the book. Does anyone know why this would happen?

I attempted to fix this using Calibre but the books are all DRM restricted and I haven't found the courage to do the removal thing yet.
None of this really matters (cos as far as I can tell all the content is there) but with unknown authors and absent covers I feel like I am reading second rate pirated versions when I paid for the real thing.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I be doing something different to make sure I get a cover and the author?
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #2
soup
soup began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
another story that proves that DRM does nothing except hinder the legitimate user.

I wish you the best of luck fixing it, I don't know enough about DRM books, but, be brave.
soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
I have downloaded a couple of books from kobobooks.com and also another from borders.com.au via ADE that are missing their covers.
On the website when I purchased them they had nice covers (that looked like a real book) but when I downloaded them they ended up with a very boring generic looking title page.
One of the books also says that the author is unknown despite the fact that the author was listed on the website when I purchased the book. Does anyone know why this would happen?

I attempted to fix this using Calibre but the books are all DRM restricted and I haven't found the courage to do the removal thing yet.
None of this really matters (cos as far as I can tell all the content is there) but with unknown authors and absent covers I feel like I am reading second rate pirated versions when I paid for the real thing.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I be doing something different to make sure I get a cover and the author?
I have 3 books like that. 1 Stephen King, 1 Dean Koontz and 1 Stieg Larsson. I have other Stephen King and Dean Koontz books and they were fine. I don't get why it affects some, but not others.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post

I had the same issue. I e-mailed Kobo over a week ago asking them to send me a new file with the cover that they advertised on their site. No one even bothered to respond. I ended up downloading the book that I had already purchased from the darknet so that I could have a cover (it also runs a lot faster without the DRM).
I chose not to buy the second book in the series from Kobo because of this.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
Mimzy
Mimzy began at the beginning.

This happened to one of the books I bought too. I've pretty much decided that I'm going to have to strip the DRM off of it because I want the book's actual cover rather then the plain and ugly cover the ebook seems to come with.
Mimzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
Samantha45
Connoisseur
Samantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
Just happened to me too! Not happy!
Samantha45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:23 PM   #7
Samantha45
Connoisseur
Samantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
My bad. I misunderstood how the books appear in the "I'm Reading" section when you have more than one. Apparently they only show one cover at at time. When I opened it the cover is there.
Samantha45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:38 AM   #8
StealthyScribe
Feverish
StealthyScribe began at the beginning.

Device: Black Kobo
I downloaded a three series set from Kobo, two had really nice covers, the second in the series had a plain black boring cover. I figured since the series was free I won't complain...but a week ago I emailed Kobo about this and haven't heard back yet. There's a series of 8 books I want to buy (they only have 7 of them, which is weird, and I've asked Kobo about that as well), of the 7 they have available two of them are missing covers. I've asked them to look into adding covers for the series as well as getting the last book in the set. I won't buy them until it's fixed. I don't know much about this stuff, but if they can have covers for one book, why not all?

And as for the missing author thing...I saw that today on their site as well. The author was listed as the publishing company.
StealthyScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:50 AM   #9
asmodeus
asmodeus began at the beginning.

double post..

Last edited by asmodeus; 07-23-2010 at 04:32 AM. Reason: double post
asmodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:53 AM   #10
asmodeus
asmodeus began at the beginning.

I've bought eBooks from places other than Borders or Kobobooks.com where there was no cover, or a very basic cover, but the website displayed the paperback edition's cover. It would be good if these sites included a note for those books that have no cover - I haven't yet seen anywhere actually warning about it.

When I used ADE to download one book from Borders it had no cover - as a test I then used the Borders branded Kobo desktop to download it, and it used the low resolution cover that was on the website (for the book that was lacking a cover).

My understanding is that the lack of covers is due to the publisher - they didn't have rights to the cover for the eBook edition and either didn't want to pay or couldn't get them. Other online stores will also have the same issue with those books.

If you're using Calibre to manage your library, I've seen it not display the author on some books that other software has no problems with.

Last edited by asmodeus; 07-23-2010 at 03:11 AM.
asmodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:22 AM   #11
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Thanks for the responses. It's nice to know I'm not alone but frustrating to find that this issue seems rather common.
I agree that if a book is not available with a cover it should be obvious before you purchase it. It's false advertising to show something that isn't what you are purchasing.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:24 AM   #12
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Here's my response from Kobo re covers.

"Thank you for contacting us.

We have escalated this issue our level 2 support team to investigate it further.

Sincerely

The Kobo Team"

We'll see what happens next...
Old 07-23-2010, 01:56 PM   #13
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hmm... the covers you get with the ePub version come straight from the publishers, I don't believe we have too much creative control over them. I'll look into this for you .
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #14
Duiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Hmm... the covers you get with the ePub version come straight from the publishers, I don't believe we have too much creative control over them. I'll look into this for you .
In that case it would be good to know in advance of purchasing if the cover shown on the site actually comes with the file.

Thanks for checking, I think we all appreciate how much attention Kobo pays to this site.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #15
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
In that case it would be good to know in advance of purchasing if the cover shown on the site actually comes with the file.

Thanks for checking, I think we all appreciate how much attention Kobo pays to this site.
Still waiting to hear back from the content wizards. Will let you know as soon as I have.

To (sort-of) address your concern though, if you sync using the desktop application, you will get the books in Kobo format, which will have the correct cover art associated with it.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote