Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-23-2010, 03:27 AM   #1
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Aussie terms: What do you think they mean?

Well, over on the Words that should be outlawed or restricted thread, montsnmags posted the following list of siome commonly used Australian terms:
Quote:
Ahhh...

Sunnies, boardies, toasty, brickie, sparky, pollie, bluey, barbie, brekkie, Brizzie, bushie, telly, chewie, choccie, Chrissie, cockie, coldie, cozzie, divvy van, dunny, durry, exy, footy, grundies, undies, lippie, middy, oldies, pokies, postie, pozzy, prezzie, rellie, rollie, scratchy, sickie, sticky, surfie, tallie, tinny, tinny, trackies, uggies, uni, Vinnie's, yewy

Then there's the stuff we end in '-o'...
Now, as a New Zealander, I happen to (unfortunately) know what many of these terms mean.

poohbear_nc suggested that maybe a new thread should be created (I dunno how SERIOUS he actually was ), so here it is...

This is the thread where our friends(?) from the Northern Hemisphere can try and guess what these AU terms actually mean.

Fellow Australians and New Zealanders: Please DO NOT help our friends(?) overseas, at least not to start with. I want to find out just how wrong and hilarious their answers can get (ie. I want ENTERTAINMENT!!). By all means though, feel free to supply even more unique terms/slang for them to get their poor heads around

And to our friends(?) overseas... Googling the terms, or finding some other way of getting a definition, is considered CHEATING. I want to see what YOU think they mean.

Last edited by sherman; 03-23-2010 at 03:30 AM.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:07 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm rooting for you, sherman!

HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 04:24 AM   #3
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Thanks

Lets see what happens...
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:52 AM   #4
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
When I first came to Australia I was amazed at how many words ended in the e sound.

There are many interesting phrases too - like "on the nose".

And don't get me started on pronunciation - "snay-yull" for instance.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Foster's is Australian for beer.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Yes - this is what I had in mind! So, I'll begin:

exy: your ex-spouse?
chewie: gum? chewing tobacco? a Wookie?
cockie: a cocker spaniel? a braggart? a soccer player?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:38 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
ok, i'm game. prepare to snicker mercilessly, sherman.

Sunnies, sunglasses
boardies, those silly shorts you wear on surfboards ?
toasty, ah... toast ?
brickie, no idea. unless it actually means "brick".
sparky, cigarette lighter ? or sparkplugs.
pollie, a parrot.
bluey, next to the fishy.
barbie, barbecue ! thank you, crocodile dundee.
brekkie, breakfast.
Brizzie, ... ?
bushie, probably not "the bush", right ? that would be too easy.
telly, television.
chewie, chewing gum ?
choccie, chocolate ! (it's international).
Chrissie, christmas
cockie, cockatoo. i'm positive.
coldie, a beer. i should probably put "beer" for any word i don't know, actually.
cozzie, a beer ?
divvy van, a beer... van ?
dunny, duvet
durry, damned, i'm pretty sure i knew this one. but i forget. ah, a parka ? pff. no, that can't be it, what use would an australian have for a parka ?
exy, ex-boyfriend. right ?
footy, football
grundies, now you're just making stuff up.
undies, underpants (to be worn on head).
lippie, lip balm
middy, beer ?
oldies, ...but goodies ?
pokies, ...beer ?
postie, postman
pozzy, seriously, you are making these up right ?
prezzie, present
rellie, umbrella. (pff ! like you know what *that* is. parasol is more like it.)
rollie, beer ?
scratchy, is this a trick ?
sickie, um, yuck.
sticky, it is a trick, isn't it ?
surfie, surf board ?
tallie, beer, right ? in a bottle ?
tinny, a tin of conserves ?
tinny, ...another tin of conserves ?
trackies, track suit ?
uggies, those silly boots you wear when the temperature drops below 25° (), as if you even know what "cold weather" is.
uni, university
Vinnie's, that restaurant down the street from your house ?
yewy seriously, quit making this stuff up !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:50 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
brickie, no idea. unless it actually means "brick".
A brick-layer.

Quote:
cozzie, a beer ?
A swimming costume.

Quote:
dunny, duvet
A toilet.

Quote:
lippie, lip balm
lipstick.

Quote:
pokies, ...beer ?
slot machine.

Quote:
sickie, um, yuck.
A day off work, with a (normally fake) illness.

Quote:
tinny, a tin of conserves ?
A can of beer
Old 03-23-2010, 09:53 AM   #9
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
Please, please , pretty please keep this up - it's so funny.

I'm rolling around hysterically at the thought of a dunny on the bed.

Mind you there are one or two words I don't know and I 've lived here since 1972.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:55 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A brick-layer.
A swimming costume.
A toilet.
lipstick.
slot machine.
A day off work, with a (normally fake) illness.
A can of beer
harry, i'm pretty sure you're disqualified, being british and all. you're not supposed to give the answers.

also, lip balm / lip stick, close enough. i say that one counts, particularly as the line between the two products is frequently very fine.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
harry, i'm pretty sure you're disqualified, being british and all. you're not supposed to give the answers.
Nope. None of those words is used in British English except "brickie". I have a lot of Australian friends, though, so I've learned the meaning of these mysterious words.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #12
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Nope. None of those words is used in British English except "brickie". I have a lot of Australian friends, though, so I've learned the meaning of these mysterious words.
There's two tinnies, Harry. Bonus points (my shout) if you get the second.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #13
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also, Zelda, I won't go into details about all of them, but, just to undermine your confidence in one, you might be right about "cockies", but you're also wrong.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
There's two tinnies, Harry. Bonus points (my shout) if you get the second.

Cheers,
Marc
The other one I think Zelda got right - it's the "coldie", isn't it?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #15
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The other one I think Zelda got right - it's the "coldie", isn't it?
No...umm, that is, yes, Zelda is right there, but, no, what I mean is that "tinny" has two different meanings.

Cheers,
Marc