Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
dds
dds began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo Touch web browser and local html documents

Does anybody know (including KOBO developers) if there is a way to open an html document in Kobo Touch web browser from the local storage? The URL should be something like file://myfile.htm

Opening the html document in the browser rather than in the regular reader program would open Kobo Touch for simple “app development” using JavaScript. It looks like the built in browser supports JavaScript to a certain degree (or maybe it is fully compliant).

Also, for this purpose running the browser without a WI-FI connection (i.e. Airplane Mode) would extend the battery life.

Thanks,
dds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
hi there,

Currently there are no plans to support the functionality you describe. But if we get enough requests for it or related functionality, perhaps that will change
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
distorteddisco
Enthusiast
distorteddisco began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I think this is a great idea.

Kobo, you've got third-party developers ASKING you for ways to develop applications for your platform (whether that's web applications or plug-ins for Nickel)... if you'd open up the platform a bit we'd be able to increase the functionality of the device. Many bigger companies have to bribe developers to their platform with free devices, etc.... we're here, you just gotta meet us halfway.
distorteddisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #4
readingglasses
Zealot
readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.

Device: (prospective) kobo touch
Yes, do it! This wouldn't require kobo to release any code or maintain any sdk and it would be a great cool factor. A couple nifty apps and every owner will be proudly downloading some javascript to their kobo to run as an app.
Free word of mouth marketing: "let me just calculate the bill on my kobo, let me just add you to my appointments on my kobo, let me just look up that sexy chinese character tattoo on my kobo, let me just do some word processing on my kobo". The thing becomes the cutest little tablet possible at no cost to kobo.
readingglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
prosodyspeaks
prosodyspeaks began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
yes please kobo i want free apps from kind developers you don't even have to pay!
prosodyspeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert