Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-25-2007, 03:58 PM   #1
DeusExMe
Kingdom Agent
DeusExMe began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Battery Life after Flash

Forgive me if this issue has been addressed.

Recently I updated my Reader with the clock and joystick page turning ability. I really enjoy the upgrade, however, ever since doing it my battery meter is dropping more quickly than ever. (It was bad before the official firmware update which addressed that problem, but now it seems to be even worse than that!)

Has this happened to anyone else? What can I do to fix it?

Thank you so much for your help.
DeusExMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:14 PM   #2
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Which firmware are you using?
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2007, 10:25 PM   #3
Radnor
Radnor doesn't litterRadnor doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Same thing is happening here - I thought it was just my imagination.

I'm using 1.0.03.07170 with the joystick & clock hack as well.
Radnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:17 AM   #4
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radnor View Post
Same thing is happening here - I thought it was just my imagination.

I'm using 1.0.03.07170 with the joystick & clock hack as well.
I have no problems here. The joystick can't be the problem for sure because it's just a button re-map. The clock I can't say but I don't think that it could give this problem.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:31 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMe View Post
Forgive me if this issue has been addressed.

Recently I updated my Reader with the clock and joystick page turning ability. I really enjoy the upgrade, however, ever since doing it my battery meter is dropping more quickly than ever. (It was bad before the official firmware update which addressed that problem, but now it seems to be even worse than that!)

Has this happened to anyone else? What can I do to fix it?

Thank you so much for your help.
When you say "bad", what do you mean? How often are you having to recharge your Reader?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2007, 02:58 PM   #6
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
I would recommend installing the "total page counter" just to be sure this isn't just that folks are using their readers more because of these WONDERFUL hacks, which I love!

I too noticed that my battery seems to be doing this, but I am pretty sure that it is because of the easy of turning pages that I use the product more frequently to browse dozens of journals, RSS feeds, and books.. flip flip flip

Now if someone could enable a search function usinging T-9 keyboard map which could map to the 10 number keys easily.. wishful thinking perhaps

Thanks,
F.

Last edited by flamaest; 08-26-2007 at 03:00 PM.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:35 PM   #7
DeusExMe
Kingdom Agent
DeusExMe began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
To answer your questions...

I am not sure which firmware update I have. I think it is the most recent one, which only came out a few weeks ago.

How quickly is the battery draining? I am not sure how to quantify this...because I have not kept track. I just know that for the amount of reading I have been doing lately, it is loosing battery quickly. I'll put it this way. Theoretically you should be able to read through the NIV Bible nearly twice on a single battery charge, and I have only been fairly lightly reading and am already down at least have a charge... So something is amiss.

The thing that concerns is that if the meter is wrong and I just charge my batter when it empties, I don't want to ruin the battery by wrongful charging...

I guess I got the Reader (which I do love) expecting to be able to read through book after book after book without recharging and it just does not feel like that is the case.
DeusExMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:01 PM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
As it was said before, the reader is always on. Even when you turn it off, it is equal to using a "hold" button on any mp3 player (turning the reader off is in a sence stops the reader to respond to any buttons besides power on/off button). So, even if you don't read anything at all the battery will be drained in about 3 weeks.

Last edited by astra; 08-27-2007 at 04:04 PM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:03 PM   #9
yomer
yomer began at the beginning.

Device: None
Maybe the clock has something to do with it. And the battery meter could be wrong.
yomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:43 PM   #10
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
maybe turning on the clock causes some sort of signal (ie timer interrupt) to get fired every minute. normally it updates the display, but when it's off it wastes cpu anyway. and when the clock is off this signal isn't emitted. i dunno... but it's a theory. Any chance of being able to turn off the clock every time the unit shuts down?
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:50 PM   #11
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d View Post
maybe turning on the clock causes some sort of signal (ie timer interrupt) to get fired every minute. normally it updates the display, but when it's off it wastes cpu anyway. and when the clock is off this signal isn't emitted. i dunno... but it's a theory. Any chance of being able to turn off the clock every time the unit shuts down?

This is a very interesting theory.

Maybe someone could use the hackbuilder tool and "de-select" the clock hack, load the hacked firmware sans-clock-hack, charge up the reader and run through their normal activities to see if this makes a difference.....

Maybe there is a reason why Sony removed the Clock when reading books perhaps?

2 cents,
F.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote