Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Q: Can you change the Preferences' folder?

Looked through the manual:

http://web.sigil.googlecode.com/git/...eferences.html

Is there any way to change the location of Preferences from:

…\Local Settings\Application Data\sigil-ebook\sigil

I typically don't backup AppData\Local and I'd like to move it to another location

Paul
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I believe that is not so easy to change as it seems. You might reconsider backing up that folder, since more applications store their settings data in that folder.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I agree with Toxaris. Many many programs use that folder for info that should be backed up. I back up the folder as part of my regular backup procedure.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
And no... to my knowledge, there is no way (other than modifying the source-code and compiling your own special version of Sigil) to do what you want (whether or not such a thing would be advisable).

Portable Apps probably has a version of Sigil available that eliminates registry entries and the need for a seperate preferences location altogether, but I doubt they have the latest version.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I use RoboCopy in a batch file launched by into Task Scheduler.

I'll update my Job File to include AppData\Local, but exclude temp and cache type folders.

Again, thanks for your insights

Paul
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
And no... to my knowledge, there is no way (other than modifying the source-code and compiling your own special version of Sigil) to do what you want (whether or not such a thing would be advisable).

Portable Apps probably has a version of Sigil available that eliminates registry entries and the need for a seperate preferences location altogether, but I doubt they have the latest version.
I believe Sigil current version 0.7.3 was released on August 3rd, 2013 -- one month ago. SigilPortable was released 4 days later on the 7th.

Considering that Sigil is on the PortableApps well-maintained/offered-in-the-catalog list, rapid updates are only to be expected.

That is, after all, part and parcel of their Mission to Change the World of Software. You can't do that if your app store stocks old versions.

http://portableapps.com/apps/office/sigil-portable

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-12-2013 at 03:36 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I believe Sigil current version 0.7.3 was released on August 3rd, 2013 -- one month ago. SigilPortable was released 4 days later on the 7th.

Considering that Sigil is on the PortableApps well-maintained/offered-in-the-catalog list, rapid updates are only to be expected.

That is, after all, part and parcel of their Mission to Change the World of Software. You can't do that if your app store stocks old versions.

http://portableapps.com/apps/office/sigil-portable
I indifferently stand corrected, then.

It wasn't my intention to malign PortableApps in any way by suggesting that an unofficial source just might not have the very latest builds. Their "mission" doesn't really interest me. I was simply offering alternatives to someone.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-12-2013 at 04:26 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote