Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 10-28-2008, 03:38 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
Harry,
If a chapter ends in the middle of a page, the next chapter should not start until you move to the next page. If a chapter now ends in the middle of a page, the header of the next chapter appears immediately after on the same page.
With Mobipocket books you have to put in a manual pagebreak at the start of each chapter to make this happen. It certainly SHOULDN'T happen with any of the books that I've created - please let me know if it does, because it's a mistake on my part. In my Mobi books I always put a manual pagebreak at the start of a chapter.

A random thought: you're not using Book Designer to actually create your MobiPocket books are you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:07 AM   #47
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle

Harry, you have my most sincere apologies! Once I learn to read there will be less frustration. There is an old army saying that covers it, RTFM (Read the f... book). I was using <mpb ... rather than <mbp ... Once that chage was made everything was fine. I have some work to correct the italics, and then I will post the book for your critique. I have been following your tutorial, using BD to format the book and Creator for the final creation. Thanks for all your help.

Charlie
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2008, 07:15 AM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad you found the cause of the error. An easy one to make!
Old 10-28-2008, 08:35 AM   #49
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Harry,
Here is my first success using both of your tutorials. One of my favorite SF authors downloaded from Gutenberg. It becomes great fun when everything works.

Thanks for all the guidance.
File located off-site. To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: html readme.html (905 Bytes, 1191 views)
Old 10-28-2008, 12:37 PM   #50
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Nice work, crutledge. Why not upload it in our Book Upload section, so that more people can find it?

(Go the the blue bar at the top of this page and click on Ebooks, then start a thread in the mobi/prc section and attach you book.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2008, 05:10 PM   #51
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Patricia,
Dumb question! How does one start a new thread?

Charlie
Old 10-28-2008, 05:47 PM   #52
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Go to the forum of your choice. In your case, I'd suggest the Mobi Books section. On the left-hand side, immediately above the blue bar with various thread options, there is an inconspicuous blue box with "start new thread". Click it. Don't forget to add a thread title (author surname, comma, firstname then colon: Title, , v.1, date.) or to upload the attachment. (Believe me, I've forgotten.)

It's not a dumb question at all. We all have to start somewhere, and you should have seen the help I needed when I was starting out.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:43 PM   #53
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
HarryT,
I followed your tutorial and it worked great on your book. I'm running into a problem with my own.

In BD, I have placed th title and author on a seperate page, a jpeg of the author on its own page, and the toc on a seperate page. In the final prc, all of the above are on one long page, but each of the chapters begin on a new page.

In checking the html file, a page break (<mpbagebreak/>) appears after each of the above items. I have searched the tutorial for any mention of pagebreaks other than the replacement of <HR> and can find nothing.

I know that this will be a forehead slapper, but can you point me to a solution?

Thanks,
Charlie

P.S. The tutorial worked great!!
If you truly are editing the text the way you've outlined, you're making a mistake. It should be <mbpagebreak/>, not mpb.

Jim
Strether is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:31 AM   #54
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Patricia,
I finally figured out that I had to go to the beginning of the eBook forum. I also read your and others posts, I will need to become more formal.

This forum has been educational and informative. In 72 years, I have learned a lot of things, but this is just for fun. So now I just enjoy my grandchildren and great-grand children and making eBooks. What more could could I want.

Thanks for all the help to you and HarryT.

Charlie
Old 10-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

A pleasure!
Old 10-29-2008, 11:58 AM   #56
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
I've started working on various help files/tutorials for Feedbooks too: http://www.feedbooks.com/help/publishing

Still a work in progress but I'll have everything ready before the end of the month: in November it's NaNoWriMo and I'd like to provide an easy way for any person that participates to publish and distribute their work as an e-book if they'd like.

All of this self-published books are now available directly inside Stanza in our "Original Books" catalog, and the most popular english ones are in the Kindle Guide too. French authors have been fairly active so far and there's already a good selection of short stories: http://www.feedbooks.com/userbooks/recent?lang=fr
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #57
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Harry,
Here is my first success using both of your tutorials. One of my favorite SF authors downloaded from Gutenberg. It becomes great fun when everything works.

Thanks for all the guidance.
Great! Thanks for the book. I know sometimes creating the book is almost as fun as reading it. But if you ever get the urge to read more Public domain and don't find it here you can visit FeedBooks

Here's Feedbooks version of Cosmic Computer (direct mobi link)

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 10-29-2008 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Entered wrong URL for feedbooks
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:26 PM   #58
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Creation of Omnibus books

Harry,
I have downloaded your Sherlock Holmes Omnibus. A great build! I've been thinking of how it might be done. One is to link several HTML files and the other is to cantenate all of the files and do a careful format in Book Designer. A very large file.

Perhaps you might consider another of your very useful turorials.

Just a thought!

Charlie
Old 10-31-2008, 05:44 PM   #59
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Well,I went ahead to find out if catenating files would work. I going thru the HELP fileand I found "Join books" so I guess this is common. I joined two short novels - one with 4 chapters and the other with two and a couple of short storys. The file was loaded into BD and a normal formating routine was done.

I built a master toc which links to the book and story titles. Within the books, I built a toc pointing to the chapters. Not as hard as I had thought. Every thing worked after the file was built by Creator except for one item.

The book and story titles all come out left justified and not formated as titles. The html looks fine. I've chased this all day with no success.

Anybody have any ideas?

I think I will watch some Telly and goto bed.

Charlie
Old 11-01-2008, 09:33 AM   #60
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Solved

I have egg on my face again. I went back and inspected Harry's omnibus more closely and finally saw that the sub-toc was placed on it's own page. Once I did this all was right. I still don't understand why this is so because the HTML indicates everything is OK, but I can live with it. Harry's tutorials even teach silently.

Thanks, Harry.
Charlie