Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-21-2022, 03:30 AM   #1
idwtgyai
idwtgyai began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Calibre Starts, but Soon Hangs

I recently upgraded from Fedora 35 to Fedora 36. Calibre was working fine before the upgrade. Now, Calibre starts fine, but when I leave it alone for a while, say, an hour, when I go back, the GUI is frozen and GNOME (Wayland) reports the application is not responsive. No matter how long I wait, Calibre never recovers and I have to force-quit.

Oh, I'm using the "local" install method. Current version is calibre-5.42.0-x86_64.txz

Last edited by idwtgyai; 05-21-2022 at 03:30 AM. Reason: add more info
idwtgyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:52 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Probably a wayland issue in gnome, the pair of them are the most buggy things on the planet. Use the Qt env var to either force x11 or wayland and see which works.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2022, 06:18 PM   #3
idwtgyai

Okay, I'll try QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb;eglfs. I tried with =wayland and unset, already.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:27 PM   #4
idwtgyai

Hmm, neither of the options I've tried prevented the issue.

QT_QPA_PLATFORM settings I've tried:
  1. unset/not set -> hangs
  2. set to "wayland" -> hangs
  3. set to "xcb;eglfs" -> hangs
  4. set to "eglfs" -> hangs
Old 05-22-2022, 09:55 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No clue then, sorry. Try using an empty calibre config by renaming ~/.config/calibre and see if it still reproduces.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2022, 07:29 PM   #6
idwtgyai

Hmm, I tried that; no joy. Strange. It's weird how it works for a little while after I start it up. It always happens when I'm not watching it. I don't know what to interpret from that.
Old 06-06-2022, 02:48 PM   #7
idwtgyai

Hmm, I tried that; no joy. Strange. It's weird how it works for a little while after I start it up. It always happens when I'm not watching it. I don't know what to interpret from that.

When it gets stuck, I see "Worker" taking 100% CPU, if that helps.

Also, I installed my distro's pkg and that runs fine. It looks like it works better in GNOME 40, also; window decorations look more conformant. I noticed that, while installing that package, several other required pkgs were installed. I wonder if I didn't have the all the necessary dependencies satisfied, but, if I'm reading it correctly, the download page says that the local installer installs all dependencies. The distro pkg depends on jxrlib, libjpeg-turbo-utils, python3-cchardet, & python3-pychm. But, I suppose the pkg maintainer could choose to build and bundle it however they want, so that might not be indicative.

Anyway, thanks for the great tool.

Tags
fedora, gui, hang, wayland