Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
wiped
wiped began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Amazon rejects books that are created by Calibre?

Quote:
Hi ******

Please see email below. This should have been published on 14th May and Amazon Kindle have only just given the response below. As I have already paid you for this service please can you convert and upload again so that it is listed and available to purchase through Amazon. I am sending you the file again just in case through wetransfer.com

Health and happiness x
Best wishes
****** x

Tel: ******
Web: ******
Follow me on Facebook and Twitter ******

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: Your Amazon KDP Inquiry
Date: 3 June 2012 13:07:05 GMT+01:00
To: "******" <******>
Reply-To: "kdp-support+A2V73IM1T8UJFP@amazon.com" <kdp-support+A2V73IM1T8UJFP@amazon.com>

Hello ******,

I'm very sorry for the delay in resolving the pricing issue of your title "******".

Our technical team has found that the content of your book was created by 'Calibre', hence it is not buyable on our web site.

Please upload your book in either a MOBI file created by KindleGen or upload the content file in Doc/HTML format. The book will then be made buyable and searchable in the next 24-48 hours after republishing.

Thank you for your immense patience and understanding during the time it took to research this issue.

============================================
If you need to provide us with more information about this issue, please Reply to this e-mail.

Otherwise, did we answer your question? Do you have another question? Use the appropriate link below. You may need to copy and paste the full link into your browser:

Yes, you answered it:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey...IVHAA1T54&k=hy

No, you did not answer it:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey...IVHAA1T54&k=hn

I have another question:
https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/contact-us
============================================

Regards,

Dieter Stutz
Kindle Direct Publishing
http://kdp.amazon.com
=============================
Connect with KDP and other Authors and Publishers:
Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/KindleDirectPublishing
Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/AmazonKDP

---- Original message: ----

Hi

I have managed to edit the description and that is all fine but the price is not showing? This needs to be live from Sunday night, should be showing as around £7 in GBP?

Health and happiness x
Best wishes
****** x

Tel: ******
Web: ******
Follow me on Facebook and Twitter ******

On 11 May 2012, at 08:01, Kindle Direct Publishing wrote:

&gt; Hello******,
&gt;
&gt; To change the description of your title, please follow the steps below.
&gt;
&gt; 1. Visit https://kdp.amazon.com and log in.
&gt; 2. Check the box at the left side of the book, then click on the "Actions" button at the top left and select "Edit book details."
&gt; 3. Under the description section, make the necessary edits.
&gt; 4. Go to the bottom of the page and click "Save and Continue."
&gt; 5. Confirm that you have all rights to publish by clicking on the box at the bottom.
&gt; 6. Click on "Save & Publish."
&gt;
&gt; If your item has already been published, updated details may take up to 24 hours to reflect on the website.
&gt;
&gt; I hope this helps! Thanks for using Amazon KDP.
&gt;
&gt; Regards,
&gt;
&gt; Barani
&gt; Kindle Direct Publishing
&gt; http://kdp.amazon.com
&gt; =============================
&gt; Connect with KDP and other Authors and Publishers:
&gt; Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/KindleDirectPublishing
&gt; Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/AmazonKDP
The email was sent by my client and it's clearly stated... This is my first encounter from amazon support thru a client and I'm not quite sure if this is TRUE? Thoughts anyone?
wiped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
My initial reaction is that Amazon are being a pain in the ass. This is the same Amazon that effectively made Stanza a waste of time. Second reaction is that Amazon just want you (read EVERYONE) to only be able to use official Amazon tools. Third reaction is that they have added Calibre to their "don't like, kill if possible" list.

If the apps they want you to use are free then just use them. Amazon don't listen to us mortals and won't change their minds.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiped View Post
The email was sent by my client and it's clearly stated... This is my first encounter from amazon support thru a client and I'm not quite sure if this is TRUE? Thoughts anyone?
Without actually seeing the .mobi file it's hard to tell whether Amazon was justified in rejecting it.

Calibre is an excellent tool that will convert even source files with serious errors in them. However, you shouldn't forget that the mobi creation tools had to be reverse engineered since Mobipocket/Amazon never released the source code.
It's therefore possible though highly unlikely that it'll occasionally create .mobi files that aren't 100% perfect, in particular if the source files contained errors.
It's also possible that your mobi file simply didn't meet one or more mandatory requirements specified in the Kindle Publishing Guide. E.g. missing cover page/ncx/inline toc etc.

Had you used Kindlegen, the .mobi file would have included an embedded .zip file with the source files, which would have allowed the Amazon engineers to narrow down the cause of your problem.

In your particular case you may want to do the following:
- Download the Kindle Publishing Guidelines and make sure that the book complies with them
- Check the .ePub source fiiles with the EPUB Validator and fix all errors
- Compile the fixed book with the latest version of KindleGen and have your client re-upload it to Amazon
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
oldghost
oldghost began at the beginning.

Device: none
I've actually received two emails today regarding the same issue with books not processing right through their converter and Calibre (And Mobi Pocket) were blamed. Coincidentally both books were created in the same week. One on May 05 the other May 07. Judging from your paste yours appears to maybe have been created in that week also? .. Perhaps there was an issue with that weeks release of Calibre?
oldghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:47 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldghost View Post
I've actually received two emails today regarding the same issue with books not processing right through their converter and Calibre (And Mobi Pocket) were blamed. Coincidentally both books were created in the same week. One on May 05 the other May 07. Judging from your paste yours appears to maybe have been created in that week also? .. Perhaps there was an issue with that weeks release of Calibre?
If you were generating plain old MOBI files then that is highly unlikely as calibre's MOBI output has not had any significant changes in a long time. If you were generating combined MOBI6/KF8 then it is possible.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2012, 04:50 AM   #6
wiped
wiped began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldghost View Post
You're correct I had it generated on the 10th May.. and it's a MOBI6/KF8.. I'm not quite sure this'll fix the issue with the current version of calibre 0.8.54, I might probably just resolved this thru kindlegen.
wiped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I believe the combination MOBI6/KF8 output ability of calibre is still considered to be experimental, no?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-06-2012 at 08:19 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
oldghost
oldghost began at the beginning.

Device: none
I obviously realize you would know better than anyone, but this person had been trying to get his book through the system since May 9th. I just gave him a new copy (he just made me aware of the issue) and the only thing different in this one is I'm using a different (the current, 0.8.54) version of Calibre. His book processed through their system fine and went on sale like all others this time.
Everything was the same, the only thing different with the first copy I gave him is I used 0.8.50 on that one. And until I wrote this message I did not think KF8 output was on. I turned it on briefly a few weeks ago, somehow thought I turned it off but did not. So there's that. Just mention all of this in case it helps you in any way with your programming.

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you were generating plain old MOBI files then that is highly unlikely as calibre's MOBI output has not had any significant changes in a long time. If you were generating combined MOBI6/KF8 then it is possible.
oldghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:49 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Forgive the question, but is there any reason that you can't simply create the book with KindleGen as Amazon require?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Forgive the question, but is there any reason that you can't simply create the book with KindleGen as Amazon require?
Because Calibre handles some things better like converting an ncx to a working ToC for Mobi.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote