Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-09-2023, 09:58 AM   #1
DVdm
Enthusiast
DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (mark 5)
Alternating dark line background colors?

Hi there, I'm looking for a way to have alternating (very) dark line background colors in the main library view. When I just apply the standard interface to 'dark' theme, I get alternating black and darkgrey lines, but the darkgrey is still not sufficiently dark. For my eyes, the contrast between the alternating lines remains disturbingly high. I'd like something like 'black' versus 'veryverydarkgrey', or 'almostblackbutnotquite'

So, in order to have a dark theme, I am using the Job Spy plugin, currently 1.0.239. Among other things, it allows picking specific colors (BG1 and BG2) for the library view background. The problem with Job Spy is that it has many BG-colors to pick from, but they are all way to light. I am using this pluging for a long time now, but only to put both BG1 and BG2 to 'black', which seems to be the only way to have a non-disturbing dark background.
Alas, this implies that I can't have alternating background colors.

Can ayone help me out here? Is there another way? TIA. (Calibre 6.29 on Win10)

Last edited by DVdm; 11-09-2023 at 11:07 AM.
DVdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 11:48 AM   #2
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
I've experienced a similar color choosing dillema, for both text and bg colors. In my case, I wanted to choose a lighter shade of greyish/white than the default gainsboro for text, which I find too dark in my system color profile (if I recall correctly, default is gainsboro).

As those shades are limited to the Qt values in this table, and I also wanted to keep the alternating background tones, I've opted for ghostwhite for the text, although I would prefer a slightly darker shade than ghostwhite and lighter than gainsboro. As for the alternating backgrounds, I found midnightblue and black to be a nice fit, so I've settled down with this setup:

Click image for larger version

Name:	MWSnap 2023-11-09, 13_38_29.png
Views:	37
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	204640

Name:	MWSnap 2023-11-09, 13_37_06.png
Views:	41
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	204641
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 01:53 PM   #3
DVdm
Enthusiast
DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.

Yeah, I tried that too, but not nearly sufficiently dark for me, alas.
Our local midnights are much and much darker ;-)
In fact, it's even lighter than the standard dark theme without Job Spy's action...

Last edited by DVdm; 11-09-2023 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-09-2023, 02:14 PM   #4
Comfy.n
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess I'd prefer a darker shade of midnightblue, too
Old 11-09-2023, 02:44 PM   #5
DVdm
Enthusiast

GOT IT!
Looking at the QT-table showed me the way ;-)

Find the json-file
...\Calibre\Calibre Settings\plugins\Job Spy.json
make sure Calibre is closed, and just replace the line
"GUI_TOOLS_LIBRARY_VIEW_ALTERNATING_COLOR": "midnightblue"
with, for instance
"GUI_TOOLS_LIBRARY_VIEW_ALTERNATING_COLOR": "#101010"
Note that you need to redo this after every manual-according-to-the-book settings modification in the Job Spy plugin...
I'm very happy!

Last edited by DVdm; 11-10-2023 at 02:04 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 11-09-2023, 03:15 PM   #6
Comfy.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVdm View Post
GOT IT!
Looking at the QT-table showed me the way ;-)

Find the json-file
...\Calibre\Calibre Settings\plugins\Job Spy.json
and just replace the line
"GUI_TOOLS_LIBRARY_VIEW_ALTERNATING_COLOR": "midnightblue"
with, for instance
"GUI_TOOLS_LIBRARY_VIEW_ALTERNATING_COLOR": "#101010"
Note that you need to redo this after every manual-according-to-the-book settings modification in the Job Spy plugin...
I'm very happy!
That works!! Finally got rid of ghostwhite, lol

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	after custom.png
Views:	38
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	204642   Click image for larger version

Name:	before json edit.png
Views:	42
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	204643  
Old 11-09-2023, 04:01 PM   #7
DVdm
Enthusiast

My pleasure!
Cozy darkness now
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bg3.png
Views:	43
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	204644  

Tags
alternating, background, colors, dark, line