Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-20-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
tsantsa
tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none yet
Astak Mentor or Pocketbook 360??

After much debate, I decided I didn't need all the features of a Bebook Neo or Onyx Boox 60. However I DO want a 6" screen...But then I bought a Sony PRS300 5" just to give eink a test drive and I liked it.

So my pick for a 5" is the Pocketbook 360 and for 6" the Astak Mentor. They are both similarily priced and each has a cover. I bet the cover for the Astak is syth leather, but I don't care that much. I suppose I could ask if the Sony prs300 is on par with the Pocketbook 360 while I'm at it?

I see that the Astak features 170 dpi but I can't find the info for the Pocketbook (or sony for that matter). After I wrote that I looked it up: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...pocketbook+dpi according to here the pocketbook has 200dpi! Will that make a big difference in clarity to put the 5" ahead of the larger screen? Any opinions on that? While I'm asking, how does the Sony PRS 300 compare to the pocketbook 360 in reference to screen clarity?

I keep thinking about that Sony though. It can now be had for about $170, get a cover for about $30 and it's STILL cheaper than the pocketbook...But then I had to convert to usable formats with Calibre all the time, especially with pdf's...

EDIT: I also liked the way the Sony made use of ALL of the screen...BUT I didn't like the GLARE on it...Pocketbook = less glare? Also 3 font sizes became an issue...one or two more would have been nice. Does the pocktbook have a 'sleep' mode like the sony? I liked that I flipped the power button and it came on in about a second or so.

Between the 3, is there a clear winner?

Last edited by tsantsa; 02-20-2010 at 03:17 PM.
tsantsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Lots of people are very, very happy with the Sony PRS-300. I have only ever seen one in a shop and it looked pretty nice. I don't believe it supports folders though (not sure how much of an issue that would be to you) which can be a pain if you want to have lots of books on your device - this is the one thing I would change if I could about the Kindle 2.

I have the PocketBook 360 (it does support folders, great) and it is a wonderful 5" ereading device. It does also have expandable memory using micro-sd cards - the Sony 300 is stuck with just the memory you have on board. You can also do neat things on the PB 360 like copying files to/from the micro SD directly to the main memory, deleting and renaming files on the fly all without having to connect to a computer to do so. It has a hard cover, so no need to buy a separate cover for it.

Overall, I think the PB 360 has a lot more going for it than the Sony prs-300. However, if all you need is a basic, no-frills ereading device - the Sony might be absolutely fine for you.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Adding to what Poshm said here, PocketBook 360 has a hard protective lid, snappable to front and the back of the device, a design feature that none of the above mentioned competitors sport.
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
tsantsa
tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none yet
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the Pocketbook 360 from Dulins about an hour ago. I have to say I loved the build of the Sony but the cover and format support from the pb 360 should trump. About the only thing that worries me is tactile feel. The Sony felt really nice in my hands, just holding and pushing buttons.

I guess I'll see when it gets here! (give me FREE overnight shipping DULIN!!! Please??)
tsantsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:29 AM   #5
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Glad to know you've made a choice - it can be very hard. I really don't think you'll be disappointed. The pb is very nice looking and very pleasant to hold. I love the fact it just fits into a big pocket or my small bag and away we go. I never worry about the screen getting damaged when it has the hard cover on and this clips behind the device while you are reading.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote