Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 03-23-2017, 11:25 AM   #1
gerhaher
Enthusiast
gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Sage
PDF with metadataproblem & can't split

Hi!

I have a few pdf-books that won't show metadata correctly in my Kobos (Aura & Aura One). The author becomes "Unknown" and the title is the title of the file. It shows the book cover though.

And when I try to use an online pdfsplitter it says: "The uploaded file does not seem to be a valid PDF file".

I have no problem reading the files (whether on the computer or on my Kobos). And I have no problem adding metadata with Calibre.

Any ideas what can be wrong with the files?

Thanks!
gerhaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:10 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Try the following:

Download and install Nitro Reader 5 (freeware), open the .pdf file and select Save as Standard PDF/Flattened PDF.

This will re-write the .pdf file and fix several common problems.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:11 AM   #3
gerhaher
Enthusiast
gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!

Thank you for your answer. But unfortunately, it didn't solve the problem...
Old 03-25-2017, 04:25 AM   #4
gerhaher
Enthusiast

The books are Ok now. After doing the "save as"-thing with Nitro Reader I found out I could split them and then merge them together again. That did the trick.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:32 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhaher View Post
The books are Ok now. After doing the "save as"-thing with Nitro Reader I found out I could split them and then merge them together again. That did the trick.
It is likely that those PDF files were edited in PDF form. Acrobat, for example, can edit PDF files directly but in so doing it rearranges the information using pointers to keep the page placement ok but putting the newer text near the bottom of the file. This is likely what you saw that could not be split. The fix is to re-save as a totally new file which will fix the ordering of the data.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote