Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-04-2017, 09:42 PM   #1
robertpolson
Connoisseur
robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Aura One and Text Highlights

I purchased Kobo Aura One when it was just released and returned it after five days of trial. There were a number of bugs that I did not like. However, my biggest issue was that it took me two to three attempts to highlight some text whereas on Kindle I could highlight anything easily.

I am thinking of giving Kobo another chance. Has there been any improve,nets in responsiveness of the screen for text highlighting? Text highlights is one of the most important features for me as a reader of non-fiction. P,ease advise.
robertpolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:50 PM   #2
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
You can use the H20, *If* and only if you load kepub books and not epub. That means either purchased and synced by Kobo, or use the Extended driver in calibre to send Books ad Kepub to the Kobo.

forget the One, The touch screen is far too wonky for that.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:47 AM   #3
robertpolson
Connoisseur
robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

In that case I'll stick with my kindle as comfort light is what I really like about Aura One
Old 02-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@rashkae I'm not at all sure what you mean here. Why should one only load kepub format books? This is advice I've never seen before, and I think is erroneous.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:15 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
You can use the H20, *If* and only if you load kepub books and not epub. That means either purchased and synced by Kobo, or use the Extended driver in calibre to send Books ad Kepub to the Kobo.
Sorry, but that is 100% wrong. You can use the H2O using ePub. I mostly load ePub. You are not stuck with just kepub. ePub works well. In terms of typesetting and display, ePub actually works better than kepub.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:09 PM   #6
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The question was not about typsetting or display, the question was about usefulness of text highlighting without frustration.. have you even tried selecting specific text on a Kobo epub? The inteface takes at least 5 seconds (often more) to catch up with the movement of your finger.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:12 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The question was not about typsetting or display, the question was about usefulness of text highlighting without frustration.. have you even tried selecting specific text on a Kobo epub? The inteface takes at least 5 seconds (often more) to catch up with the movement of your finger.
I have an H2O and I do highlight ePub. I highlight errors. It works for me.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:40 PM   #8
robertpolson
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have an H2O and I do highlight ePub. I highlight errors. It works for me.
The question is about Aura One specifically.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:23 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolson View Post
The question is about Aura One specifically.
No, the remark was made about the H2O:

Quote:

forget the One, The touch screen is far too wonky for that.
I never had any problems highlighting epubs on my H2O. I've never even had a kepub... The One has the problem that it has a capacitive screen, which I still think is the worst thing to put on an ereader... (for me it's the only drawback of the One)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:57 AM   #10
lensmann
Zealot
lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox Max 2, ThinkBook Plus Gen 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolson View Post
I purchased Kobo Aura One when it was just released and returned it after five days of trial. There were a number of bugs that I did not like. However, my biggest issue was that it took me two to three attempts to highlight some text whereas on Kindle I could highlight anything easily.

I am thinking of giving Kobo another chance. Has there been any improve,nets in responsiveness of the screen for text highlighting? Text highlights is one of the most important features for me as a reader of non-fiction. P,ease advise.
The highlighting has gotten slightly better in the latest firmware. For me, it's gone from being unusable to being usable. But it's still not as good as it was on older models, or indeed on the Kindle. The fact that it's improved suggests they're working on it, though, so it's probably worth checking back in a few weeks.
lensmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:58 PM   #11
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
I'm new to KAI coming over from various Kindle models since 2010.

I do find the dictionary look-up is usable, but I invariably run into problems trying to select a phrase to highlight/annotate. I end up getting more text than I want, and it takes a while fiddling with the start and end cursors to get the exact phrase.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:05 PM   #12
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
What lensmann and kansaskyle wrote is exactly my experience also. i suspect with the capacitive screen it will never be perfect though I hope for further improvement.
I have found the other advantages of the Aura 1 to outweigh this which is an admitted problem. It's much better than I expected.
Stevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:26 AM   #13
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
I don't highlight much, but I find that my selection experience on the KA1 is by far better than on the Aura HD. I haven't tried on any others, maybe H2O is much better than HD at that but the HD for me was a seriously frustrating experience.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
highlights