Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-10-2014, 07:04 AM   #1
OllieDixon
OllieDixon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
why can't Calibre convert without changing something?

epub to azw3/mobi, mobi to epub. But more specifically interested in epub to kepub. Last hour or so i have messed with countless settings. It ALWAYS changes something.

Why can it not just leave it the way it already is.. unless i want something changed.

Here is one of many examples.. http://i.imgur.com/4dteszZ.png

SO aggravating.

Last edited by OllieDixon; 05-10-2014 at 07:08 AM.
OllieDixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:09 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You messed with countless settings, and you still missed the one that would prevent the particular change you are complaining about? countless must be a very small number where you come from.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #3
OllieDixon

So, the answer to why it cannot convert anything without changing one or more things is ..

I missed an option that prevented the one random change that happened to be on my screen to use as an example at the time.

Great. Thanks for the help.

Seriously, why cant it go from epub to kepub and not change stuff around?
Old 05-10-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
It sounds like you should use the KoboTouchExtended driver. This adds the spans that the kepub needs without doing a full conversion while it is sending the book to the device. There is very little use in having the kepub in the calibre library.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:57 PM   #5
OllieDixon

I was planning to use the KoboTouchExtended driver (I actually don't have a kobo yet lol). While converting a few books for my girlfriend, i saw how different a epub to mobi conversion can be. So i tried converting to kepub to see what the changes might be.

If there is no conversion.. great! Thanks.

Id still like to know why Calibre can't seem to convert without changing so many things around. Seems like something that should be as much of a 1:1 conversion as possible by default. If you need to change something then all those options are great.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:59 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If there were no changes, how can it be a 'conversion'?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:33 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, the answer is that this question has been asked and answered many times before. And I have zero interest in answering it again for you. Do your homework, and this time try not to let countless == 1.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:28 AM   #8
OllieDixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If there were no changes, how can it be a 'conversion'?
Lol.. what i meant is pretty obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No, the answer is that this question has been asked and answered many times before. And I have zero interest in answering it again for you. Do your homework, and this time try not to let countless == 1.
ummm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieDixon View Post
You used the word many in your last response. This indicates the possibility that you understand what the word means. Yet you keep insisting that i am focusing on 1 change and 1 option. It was ONE EXAMPLE. Get over it.

Also, why is it asked about so much. Could it possibly be that its extremely annoying?

Why bother responding if your not going to help in any way whatsoever? You had zero interest in answering so .. don't even open the thread!

Last edited by OllieDixon; 05-11-2014 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:36 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
So i tried converting to kepub to see what the changes might be.
I'm confused I am running calibre version 1.36 and I do not have kepub as an output option for conversion.

Quote:
Id still like to know why Calibre can't seem to convert without changing so many things around. Seems like something that should be as much of a 1:1 conversion as possible by default.
Epub is not AZW nor is it mobi. They all have subsets of things they actually support. Converting between formats requires change. Read this section of the manual for more info.

Also if you have specific questions about problems with conversions this sticky is the place to start.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-11-2014 at 12:39 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:42 AM   #10
OllieDixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I'm confused I am running calibre version 1.36 and I do not have kepub as an output option for conversion.
Get the right plugin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Epub is not AZW nor is it mobi. They all have subsets of things they actually support. Converting between formats requires change. Read this section of the manual for more info.

Also if you have specific questions about problems with conversions this sticky is the place to start.
"Epub is not AZW nor is it mobi." - I know.

as much of a 1:1 conversion as possible

Im sure some things HAVE to change but, some things seem a bit silly. One example (Yes kovidgoyal.. ONE example) being changing the font size of only some text on a page. Also, converting to mobi via kindlegen and having it not change the things calibre apparently needs to so badly .. is odd to say the least.

Last edited by OllieDixon; 05-11-2014 at 01:47 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:24 AM   #11
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
There is no one who tells you have to use Calibre. If you are fine with other tools, please use them. Calibre does the job as it is. Plugins extent its capabilities the way they do. Other tools are doing the job maybe in a better way for you.
Why is there a need to complain Calibre or other persons here? Use the tool what fits best your needs or maybe contribute some source code for a plugin. As Kovid often says, it is welcome. It is not the best way to complain the work of peoples, who spend a lot of their time in developing good working conversion routines and programs (what matches to the most readers in the world), for getting a serious attention or discussion.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:34 AM   #12
OllieDixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingduck View Post
There is no one who tells you have to use Calibre
Really? What a relief. Thanks bud.

Quote:
If you are fine with other tools, please use them. Calibre does the job as it is. Plugins extent its capabilities the way they do. Other tools are doing the job maybe in a better way for you.
I used Kindlegen as an example.. it really wont help with my Kobo. And the files it produces are to big anyway.

Quote:
Why is there a need to complain Calibre or other persons here? Use the tool what fits best your needs or maybe contribute some source code for a plugin. As Kovid often says, it is welcome. It is not the best way to complain the work of peoples, who spend a lot of their time in developing good working conversion routines and programs (what matches to the most readers in the world), for getting a serious attention or discussion.
Re-read the title and OP again please. I didn't complain, i asked a question. I then simply stated that it was aggravating me. Because it was/is. The creator of the program didn't like my 'tone' (so easy to judge tone on a forum huh?) and decided to be a douche.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #13
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
If you have the tweak keep original file true you will always have an untouched file in a convenient location which you can restore easily.

You can also use edit or polish for minimal changes.

I convert all my books for formatting reasons and overall I don't care if they are changed as long as they appear as I want them, but for those who are concerned there are IMO reasonable options.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Re-read the title and OP again please. I didn't complain, i asked a question. I then simply stated that it was aggravating me. Because it was/is. The creator of the program didn't like my 'tone' (so easy to judge tone on a forum huh?) and decided to be a douche.
In which language does that NOT constitute a complaint????
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:17 PM   #15
OllieDixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
In which language does that NOT constitute a complaint????
English?

Title = why can't Calibre convert without changing something?

Some might take note of the question mark.

Quote:
Why can it not just leave it the way it already is.. unless i want something changed.

SO aggravating.

Another simple question followed by an example. Then the statement about the aggravation.. Sorry guys i didn't know i wasn't allowed to say something that aggravates me is aggravating on this forum.