Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-21-2017, 02:49 AM   #16
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
PDF files can be viewed best on a small tablet or large smartphone, provided that there is at least 1GB RAM, which it usually is these days, but an e-ink device with at least half GB RAM is also passable, depending on the pdf reading app on the device. I have found that Pocketbook's inbuilt reading app is okay for technical pdf files, particularly for its multi-column mode. Otherwise, Koreader is a good app.

Free epubs? If Koreader or Coolreader can be installed on a Kindle, then it should handle epub files without any conversion, I believe. As far as I know Kindles, they make best sense when you tend to buy stuff from Amazon. Otherwise get any other e-reader.

Last edited by mobama; 08-21-2017 at 02:51 AM.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:15 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given that the OP has abandoned this thread, I'd say it's pretty well dead.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2017, 09:13 PM   #18
Panchax
Connoisseur
Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glowlight
The Nook simple touch is about $25-$35 on ebay now, and has been the same for at least 4 years. It is cheap and the money can be recouped should you not like it. I had one. It was better than my roommate's Kindle Touch in every way except that it lacked text to speech.
Panchax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:08 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panchax View Post
The Nook simple touch is about $25-$35 on ebay now, and has been the same for at least 4 years. It is cheap and the money can be recouped should you not like it. I had one. It was better than my roommate's Kindle Touch in every way except that it lacked text to speech.
This is just wrong. I have a nook STR and it is awful. The storage is partitioned so you get only a small amount of storage for side loaded eBooks. The UI is ghastly. Managing eBooks is atrocious. Then there is the shape. It's odd and feels odd when holding. If you want to use the buttons, they take a good deal of force to press. The font handling is not all that good. The same font at the same size on the nook looks like a different font than on a Sony 650 or T1.

I've seen/used a Kindle Touch and it is much better than the nook STR. Please don't make the nook to be better than it is because the nook is awful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:27 PM   #20
Panchax
Connoisseur
Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is just wrong. I have a nook STR and it is awful. The storage is partitioned so you get only a small amount of storage for side loaded eBooks. The UI is ghastly. Managing eBooks is atrocious. Then there is the shape. It's odd and feels odd when holding. If you want to use the buttons, they take a good deal of force to press. The font handling is not all that good. The same font at the same size on the nook looks like a different font than on a Sony 650 or T1.

I've seen/used a Kindle Touch and it is much better than the nook STR. Please don't make the nook to be better than it is because the nook is awful.
We'll go through this bit by bit.
1) Storage. I had a 16GB card. inefficient or whatever, it blew the Kindle's 3GB out of the water.
2)UI. I was fine with the weird homescreen. When reading it offers better options (fonts, margins, etc.)
3)Managing ebooks. On the nook it is bad. I did all my managing on my PC so I hardly noticed.
4)How it feels in your hand. I like the molded shape.
5) buttons. I like the fact that they take some force to press. It feels like a "real machine"
6) font. I have never held a sony. it seemed just as good as the kindle to me.
I just bought a refurb nook on ebay for USD$21, free shipping.

Last edited by Panchax; 09-01-2017 at 05:28 PM. Reason: clarity
Panchax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert