Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 06-22-2017, 10:49 AM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Thoughts on off topic posts

How do you feel about off topic posts? I realize it is going to happen, but it seems (to me) that it happens too often, and that some members continually go off topic without a second thought.

I had some quick pms with a mod, and he said to report the posts, as it is the way to gauge whether the forum wants off topic posts. But I don't want to bother the Mods that often. I would just assume mods took a pro-active role in off topic posts.

Reading the guidelines, it doesn't appear that going off-topic is even discouraged, unless the OP objects.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:13 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Another forum I am on, if too many people veer off-topic, one of the mods just starts a new thread and moves all the off-topic posts.
Smaller forum and newer software.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2017, 02:33 PM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Frankly, unless it's a product specific thread, I have zero problem with thread drift. If you're in a thread that drifts, and it bothers you, you have two choices -- actively motivate folks to get back on topic, or find a different thread, including starting a new one. Banging the thread into the Mods only makes sense where it's a product specific thread and it's become difficult to actually follow the necessary product details/support fix/whatever.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:01 PM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Different strokes I guess.

I consider it a little rude, but if the general consensus is it's OK, I won't worry about going off topic.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:19 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The moderating team would be very interested in hearing other people's views on this.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2017, 05:15 PM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I don't particularly mind off-topic posts, unless the original poster asks people to stay on topic, and people continue to ignore that request.

It can be frustrating on certain threads (e.g., too much conversation on some of the deal threads), but I can understand how it happens. I for one seldom go into the threads via the Forums view. I go to "New Posts" > last 24 hours and just skim headers. It can be easy not to notice if you're in a dedicated forum thread or one of the more relaxed ones that way.

I think as long as people aren't rude about it, a post "can we get back on topic?" is a friendly way to try to fix the issue without having to bring in a mod.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:09 PM   #7
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I'd rather see some organic "thread drift" than an overly strict set of rules, inforced for the rule's sake rather than the overall tone of a thread. Sometimes the topic has been talked out, sometimes it morphs in to other aspects of the original topic very naturally.

Hijacking a thread is a different topic.

I've been around forums since 1994, and they all have their own personality. Since I'm new to posting here, I'm still finding my way. I will say that one thing I LOVE about the rules here is the "no politics/religion" rule. I spent many years on eBay related forums where those topics seemed to enter any and all threads. Which chased away many users, and was a total drag. For example, threads about shipping issues and costs almost always ended up with political rants of one side or another.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:37 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm amused by this in that one recent off topic post was
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I like kittens.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:57 PM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'm amused by this in that one recent off topic post was
Yup. And the off topic posts just kept on going, and going, and going, ...

Old 06-24-2017, 06:59 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Yup. And the off topic posts just kept on going, and going, and going, ...

Do you prefer mustard or ketchup with your kittens. I like mustard on my dogs
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:07 PM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Do you prefer mustard or ketchup with your kittens. I like mustard on my dogs
From the other thread, maybe try a cooking wine, but than there is the school that says only use a wine you would drink, or maybe grape juice, ...
Old 06-24-2017, 09:55 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
From the other thread, maybe try a cooking wine, but than there is the school that says only use a wine you would drink, or maybe grape juice, ...
Well actually the person with the first cooking wine post was trying to be subtle and say that Texas or at least Walmart does not consider cooking wine alcohol.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:52 AM   #13
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
It completely depends on the thread, and on the stage of the thread. If it is an ongoing working thread on say a particular firmware version or something, there should be less offtopic drift; same if it's someone actively troubleshooting and currently receiving help. If it's a less current/focused thread and it's more or less run its useful course, drift can be interesting and fun.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:09 AM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Well actually the person with the first cooking wine post was trying to be subtle and say that Texas or at least Walmart does not consider cooking wine alcohol.
And I think you miss the point entirely. The thread was about Amazon buying Wholefoods, on a mobile site, in a section specifically for news: and it drifts to cooking wine and kittens without a second thought.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:32 AM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
And I think you miss the point entirely. The thread was about Amazon buying Wholefoods, on a mobile site, in a section specifically for news: and it drifts to cooking wine and kittens without a second thought.
Are you sure? I thought it was the Amazon excepting SNAP thread that drifted out to sea.